News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Celebration Bowl Attendance...  (Read 4478 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration Bowl Attendance...
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
This game shouldn't be about one schools fanbase or just the playing schools fanbase.

Should be an HBCU showcase and should be marketed to all HBCUs to come to Atlanta in December and celebrate

Half the HBCUs are DII schools. So why would DII schools celebrate this game as being our national championship game when we can't compete in it? Remember that all the HBCUs in the Atlanta area are DII. This is one reason that the attendance will not get to what you are looking for.

If you are a HBCU fan, most likely your loyalty is with your school. If we celebrate other schools, they will probably be PWSs.
It's only the HBCU championship when the top two ranked HBCUs play in it.  If Tenn St or a D2 team is listed in the top two it will not be billed as a championship game.  Why can't y'all get that???? :shrug:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought that the game was billed as the National Championship game regardless of who is playing and where they are ranked. So this brings the question as to what poll determines the official rankings? And what if the two top ranked teams are in the same conference and one of them goes to this game. Does the winner then becomes HBCUs NC even if the winner is not ranked one or two?
I think they go by Sheridan and I believe its the top two going in the poll right before the game.  NCCU was not in the top two until they beat the Aggies.  My understanding is whoever is #1 in the final Sheridan poll is crowned the BNC regardless if they played in the game or not.

I'm not so sure about that because I can remember a couple of times when there were split polls and two teams were name BCF.  Having said that I don't see there fault being an issue as long as both teams go in ranked 1,2, or 3. it's not like it's new territory that hasn't been travel before.

Online Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
This game shouldn't be about one schools fanbase or just the playing schools fanbase.

Should be an HBCU showcase and should be marketed to all HBCUs to come to Atlanta in December and celebrate

Half the HBCUs are DII schools. So why would DII schools celebrate this game as being our national championship game when we can't compete in it? Remember that all the HBCUs in the Atlanta area are DII. This is one reason that the attendance will not get to what you are looking for.

If you are a HBCU fan, most likely your loyalty is with your school. If we celebrate other schools, they will probably be PWSs.
It's only the HBCU championship when the top two ranked HBCUs play in it.  If Tenn St or a D2 team is listed in the top two it will not be billed as a championship game.  Why can't y'all get that???? :shrug:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought that the game was billed as the National Championship game regardless of who is playing and where they are ranked. So this brings the question as to what poll determines the official rankings? And what if the two top ranked teams are in the same conference and one of them goes to this game. Does the winner then becomes HBCUs NC even if the winner is not ranked one or two?
I think they go by Sheridan and I believe its the top two going in the poll right before the game.  NCCU was not in the top two until they beat the Aggies.  My understanding is whoever is #1 in the final Sheridan poll is crowned the BNC regardless if they played in the game or not.

I'm not so sure about that because I can remember a couple of times when there were split polls and two teams were name BCF.  Having said that I don't see there fault being an issue as long as both teams go in ranked 1,2, or 3. it's not like it's new territory that hasn't been travel before.

So if TU or WSSU was still playing, one of us could have been NC regardless of GSU winning the Celebration Bowl? It just seems that the broadcasting company that sponsors this game view it as our National Championship game regardless of who we think is should be. I am guessing for rating purposes, they are champion this game for all our marbles.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »

So if TU or WSSU was still playing, one of us could have been NC regardless of GSU winning the Celebration Bowl? It just seems that the broadcasting company that sponsors this game view it as our National Championship game regardless of who we think is should be. I am guessing for rating purposes, they are champion this game for all our marbles.

Nobody pays any attention to that old Negro poll anymore where they bunch everybody together simply  because they are an hbcu.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2016, 12:14:20 PM »
Celebration Bowl - 31096

New Mexico Bowl - 29688

Las Vegas Bowl
Attendance: 29,286

Autonation Cure Bowl
Attendance: 27,213

New Orleans Bowl
Attendance: 35,061

Camelia Bowl
Attendance: 20257

Miami Beach Bowl
Attendance: 15,262

Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Eagle Banker

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Heritage First Credit Union
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »

Attendance: 35,528

I think the game is going in the wrong direction.  

I guess as long as the sponsors and commercials keep coming in, everything will be ok.
The most important statistic related to the ongoing viability of the Celebration Bowl is tv viewership which was up 5% points.

Eagle Pride Amplified
North Carolina Central University, Eagle Pride Amplified!!!!

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »

Attendance: 35,528

I think the game is going in the wrong direction.  

I guess as long as the sponsors and commercials keep coming in, everything will be ok.
The most important statistic related to the ongoing viability of the Celebration Bowl is tv viewership which was up 5% points.

Eagle Pride Amplified

The Celebration Bowl is viable and profitable for ESPN.  But can HBCU supporters use this event to grow our brand?  HBCUs have to reintroduce themselves to our communities.  This is an opportune time to do that.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News