News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Fort Valley State shows championship resolve  (Read 686 times)

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
Fort Valley State shows championship resolve
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
Kevin Porter took over a seemingly impossible situation when he was hired as Fort Valley State’s head coach during the summer. Donald Pittman did a fine job with the program and was one game away from reaching the SIAC title game last year. Yet, like so many before him in that position, he was fired when it seemed he was doing a good enough job to, you know, keep his job.

In stepped Porter, much too late to really expect to have any expectations in the first season. In stepped Porter, into a program with fewer than 10 scholarships — the NCAA Division II limit is in the 30s. In stepped Porter, into a program with more volunteer and part-time coaches than full-time coaches.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/peach-state-sports-blog/article115251243.html#storylink=cpy
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Valley State shows championship resolve
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
The most interesting commentary in this article is the mentioning of fewer than ten scholarships which speak volumes about HBCU DII football.  I know some of us will be eyeing the playoffs next season, but I am concerned that it will be fruitless if we don't increase the scholarships,  I know Coach Porter can coach; however, he cannot coach speed.  I recall watching the FL Tech game, and one thing stood out to me about the differences between the two team.  FL Tech was just flat out faster than our defensive player, particular in the secondary.  FVSU can be a very team if we can get more scholarships so that we can recruit some player makers on both sides of the ball.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:50:13 PM »
Kevin Porter took over a seemingly impossible situation when he was hired as Fort Valley State’s head coach during the summer. Donald Pittman did a fine job with the program and was one game away from reaching the SIAC title game last year. Yet, like so many before him in that position, he was fired when it seemed he was doing a good enough job to, you know, keep his job.

In stepped Porter, much too late to really expect to have any expectations in the first season. In stepped Porter, into a program with fewer than 10 scholarships — the NCAA Division II limit is in the 30s. In stepped Porter, into a program with more volunteer and part-time coaches than full-time coaches.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/peach-state-sports-blog/article115251243.html#storylink=cpy

::)

Where do I begin....

Dear Mr. Beau Cabell:

I hope you read Onnidan every now again, especially right now.  Because right now I'm about to tell you something:

I know this is an op-ed piece, but you don't know what the HELL you are talking about w/ regard to Donald Pittman - first of all, we've never had a bevy of resources, but in 2009 when he started he had more resources than any one of his predecessors.....it dwindled to almost nothing because people didn't believe in his incompetent @zz.  And with the constant change in administrations and other backwoods politics & f*ckery, well we are where we are...

Secondly, it is clear to me that you have no idea w/ regard to the REAL reason Bookman was let go....or why the AD slithered his @zz on out of the door soon thereafter.  There was a reason the coaches termination and subsequent hiring of a new coach was ill timed.  You obviously like staying in the dark, so I will keep you there.  

Fans and alumni definitely need to step up to the plate and do our part.   We have been noted before for being HBCU alums that give back to their alma mater.  I believe we can and we will do what we need to do.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:52:31 PM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:08 AM »
*ValleyGirl drops mic*

YA HEARD!   :blush:

Offline LoveFVSU

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
The sooner everyone, and I mean everyone forgets the name D. Pittman the better we will be.  Those dark days are behind us and let's forget about them now.  We have a competent coach and I believe he, our team and FVSU will be supported. I am going to give the best support I can and I do believe others will do the same.  Our last 2 coaches have been awful and those times are behind us.  We now have decent leadership.  Let's move on, move on, move on.  Expecting championships every year is not reasonable.  But, I do believe we will consistently be in the upper ranks of the conference.

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
People stop getting so emotional about a story.  Please remember in all situation there is an opportunity.  The person is writing a story about how great a coach Kevin Porter can be for FVSU.  Coach Porter took a job late and he did not have tremendous assets; however, he was able to overcome limitations that was placed on him.  This the kind of story people love to hear and it could lead to more support for the Wildcats.  People like to back a winner and Coach Porter is a winner. 

We say we want sponsorship; however, sponsors love to support someone that can get the job done.   Sponsors will back him because they believe their money will not be wasted. How is that? If he is winning games, and championships, people will want to know more about the Wildcats, and they will see the businesses that support us.  That means potential dollars to the businesses because people will view them as winners, and people who support the kids. 

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:39:15 PM »
Boy bye ::)

Ain't nobody emotional - just addressing a point in the article that was incorrect that's all.   

For the most part the article was decent - even though he threw his little shade. 
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
I actually agree with VG about the article when I first read it I was like what are you talking about. Another reporter that don't report the accurate facts in middle georgia and hardly report anything about the Wildcats period. So, I can't take them seriously.

that's all... 

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
This guy used to write for the Albany aHerald before coming to Macon. So you know how well Albany State is loved by the media in Albany. There will be plenty of times spins and shades will be written first opportunity rises. Good thing is you will find more articles about FVSU sports.

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »
This guy used to write for the Albany aHerald before coming to Macon. So you know how well Albany State is loved by the media in Albany. There will be plenty of times spins and shades will be written first opportunity rises. Good thing is you will find more articles about FVSU sports.
G-Ram, any press is good press.  You just have to know how to spin it.  We can use this to our advantage when it comes to fundraising from external sources.  As I stated prior, people love to back a winner and coach is a winner.  Also, people loves someone who they believe would be a good steward of the funds.  They will not feel as if the money is not wasted.

Offline SpecialK

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 10:47:36 PM »
It's now time to Pu$ Up and Shut Up

Start Giving and Stop Posting what you gave !!!

Let the results Speak   :nod:
"It's Better to Die on your Feet Than to Live on Your Knees"
"The best way to predict the future is to create it"
"No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it"

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 03:05:26 AM »
It's now time to Pu$ Up and Shut Up

Start Giving and Stop Posting what you gave !!!

Let the results Speak   :nod:

SpecialK, I have already spoken about my challenge to supporters of FVSU.  What I would love to see is direction by the AD to help us target our donation to the areas that need the most help.  Right now, it is the football program.  Also, I am not sure if we have our full allotment of scholarships for all revenue generating programs.

As I stated, I am sure we all spend $20 per month on things we do not need.  Why not donate just $20 a month to FVSU for scholarships. I am sure we can find 4,000 people now that are willing to help build our programs back to respectability.  You guys do the math, 4,000 x $20,00 x 12 = $960,000.  If we gave scholarships to cover the cost of attending FVSU, we will have 960,000/16.000 = 60 scholarships. Currently, we have nine football scholarships; we need 27 to reach the limit so that we will have 33 left for other sports in need.

Why do I need to focus on revenue sports?  The reason is a winning program makes money.  A good football could generate money by playing Mercer or Valdosta state in the cherry blossom Classic in Macon, GA.  The game could be a major source of revenue for us.  The ideal situation would be able to play VSU and Mercer in Macon GA.  I believe middle GA is eager for an FVSU vs Mercer football game.  It would be nice if we could make $225,000 off that game.  I believe we can do.

FVSU vs VSU will be another big money game for the wildcats. I know some say that VSU will not bring their fans to the Valley, but I do recall loads of their fans showing for a game in Macon.  Folks, at this point, it is all about what make business sense.  If we can make more money in Macon, then we play them in Macon because it is all about the money. 

Ideally, we could have 5 - 6 big money games on our schedule:
1) Mercer
2) VSU
3) TU
4) Homecoming
5) FCC - we need to do our part by purchasing tickets from FVSU.
6) CAU or MHC.

If we can do this, we could have one of the best programs in the country.

Offline Wildcat1025

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »
I stopped giving to football and put my money some where else towards the university. New coach and I went on to renew my football season tickets.

I don't have an interest in playing Valdosta St and if we do, playing them and Mercer in the same season is t ideal to me.
Fort Valley State University
www.fvsu.edu
www.fvsusports.com

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
I stopped giving to football and put my money some where else towards the university. New coach and I went on to renew my football season tickets.

I don't have an interest in playing Valdosta St and if we do, playing them and Mercer in the same season is t ideal to me.
1025, it is all about generating revenue for the program.  I hope the new AD runs the department like a real program like UGA.  The athletic  department  is run separately from the rest of the school.  I mean all money generated by the department goes in the budget  to support all teams.  This is the reason why so many of the big boys play games that will generate money.  I recall Norte Dame turning down a bowl game because they do not play for less than one million dollars a game.

I do not have an issue with playing Mercer if it is done properly.  It could be a game that the middle GA area wants to see and that could mean more money for FVSU.  I believe if we support that game, we could walk away with at least $200,000.

I know some do not want to play VSU, but we need to strength our OCGs  and they can help in that area. But first, we must increase the number of scholarships, so we can be competitive with them.   We have a coach that could win against VSU which will help us get in the playoffs and win in the playoffs.

The bottom line is we need to raise money so we can be one of the best in the nation. 

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News