News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Thanksgiving is going to be tough this year...  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Pmist

• Assistant GM
  • Class of 2007
    • View Profile

FVSU BMMB

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving is going to be tough this year...
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Not for me...

:lol:

Sounds like a woman who is keeping her mind focused on a big plate of chitlins.  :nod:

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »
 :nono2:

Sorry Cap - I don't do chitlins - period.

Teeny and Little

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 06:52:23 PM »

:lol:..........ahhhhh, c'mon, GK, you can make an exception for ONE time during the year.  At least that's what I did before Mrs. Strike's mother passed in '07.  I would eat them that one time if we were in Cleveland visiting for one of the major holidays.

Mrs. Strike keeps threatening to "try" to prepare some chitlins for one of the upcoming holiday meals.  I have to gently, but FIRMLY remind her that when it comes to cooking chitlins, there is no such thing as you are going to "try" to prepare.

You either KNOW how to clean and cook chitlins, or you need to stay faaaaar the F away.  I've had chitlins before that weren't properly prepared.  I STILL recoil in revulsion and pain about the way my damn stomach was torn up...............and its been over 35 years ago.  :o :o

Online klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »

:nod:
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »

:lol:..........ahhhhh, c'mon, GK, you can make an exception for ONE time during the year.  At least that's what I did before Mrs. Strike's mother passed in '07.  I would eat them that one time if we were in Cleveland visiting for one of the major holidays.

Mrs. Strike keeps threatening to "try" to prepare some chitlins for one of the upcoming holiday meals.  I have to gently, but FIRMLY remind her that when it comes to cooking chitlins, there is no such thing as you are going to "try" to prepare.

You either KNOW how to clean and cook chitlins, or you need to stay faaaaar the F away.  I've had chitlins before that weren't properly prepared.  I STILL recoil in revulsion and pain about the way my damn stomach was torn up...............and its been over 35 years ago.  :o :o

:lmao:

I agree 100%. If you did not grow up in a house where they were prepared and  spent at least 5 years under the apprenticeship of your mother, don't try it now.  :no:

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
Listen 79 and Cap...

My Daddy cooked chitlins forr Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. That was it. None of this eating them all thru the year. He would clean them himself - he had special brushes, utensils and pots that he used. If he started with 20 lbs., he might have 8 lbs. by the time he was finished. My parents, granny, one of my 3 sisters, and my aunt ate them. I didn't like the way they looked. I think they are an acquired taste... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »
Every Thanksgiving GK is known by this name

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Olds**ts, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yers**ts Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »
...Really tough. Being around people who didn't vote.  :shrug: :brickwall:

I have been on  crusade since last Wednesday letting people know EXACTLY what they are going to get. That includes the stupid white people who voted for trump and the dumb black ones who didn't vote at all.

Usually they say "I wanted to change things" to which I say "then WHY did you vote to send republicans BACK to congress?!?!" or they will say "me voting wouldn't have made ANY difference" to which I say "he won Florida by less than 137,000 votes; if YOU and every other black person had voted SHE would have won this State AND the election."

In BOTH cases I tell people that governing is NOT a damn game and they have elected a gotdamn FOOL to run the government of the most powerful nation in the history of the world.

What happens in the next 8 months WILL BE THEIR FAULT.  :thefan:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:15:27 PM by Cholly »

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
Listen 79 and Cap...

My Daddy cooked chitlins forr Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. That was it. None of this eating them all thru the year. He would clean them himself - he had special brushes, utensils and pots that he used. If he started with 20 lbs., he might have 8 lbs. by the time he was finished. My parents, granny, one of my 3 sisters, and my aunt ate them. I didn't like the way they looked. I think they are an acquired taste... :nod:
GK.............of the people that I know who I would occasionally have a conversation about eating chitlins, ALL of them only eat them for either the Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's Day holidays.  Unlike when I was a young man, I honestly don't know a SINGLE soul who eats them all year long.  No doubt, folks like that exist, and they definitely need to be careful cuz that's not a dish you'd want to accumulate in your system.  :lol:

But I would be disingenuous if I said I wouldn't eat them anymore.  If I knew the preparer had undergone the rigorous process like you indicated your father^^^^did while preparing his chitlins, yeah, I would have a bite.  And my preference would be to serve over rice, and having PLENTY of hot sauce and corn bread..................Yum-Yum!!!  ;D

And, yeah, they are most DEFINITELY an "acquired taste".  :lol:

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »

My Dad would do the rice piece with some whippoorwill peas and hot water cornbread. Hot sauce and chow chow on the side.. ;D
My Daddy was a Bama native... :nod:   :laugh:

Teeny and Little

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »
 :lol: :lol:^^^^^GK, sounds like your old man could throw down in the kitchen.

He sounds like my type of dude.  :lol:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »

My Dad would do the rice piece with some whippoorwill peas and hot water cornbread. Hot sauce and chow chow on the side.. ;D
My Daddy was a Bama native... :nod:   :laugh:

Girl, you sent me running to Google again. Whippoorwill pea?

In this area, we call those Crowder peas, Field peas or Cow peas.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
My mother was a Miss native and that's what she called them. Judging by pics on google, the one that is second from the left. I like crowder peas and field peas w/snaps (string beans)...

Yes 79, my Daddy could burn...he was even on the kitchen committee at church... :nod: Cooking was his hobby... :)

Teeny and Little

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule