News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Many are shaking their heads at Albany State  (Read 3671 times)

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Many are shaking their heads at Albany State
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 03:47:48 AM »
Albany State isn't to blame totally for Tuskegee's predicament, but they definitely devalued their word. If I'm Skegee I'm running up the score on them in every sport!

:shrug: You Mad?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:52:58 AM by G-Ram »

Offline Ojuice TI75

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »
I really don't see any individual school as the problem, but a conference that has a pair of losing programs play in its championship is the problem. The problem? It's not Albany State, it's not Tuskegee it's not even Ft. Valley nor Kentucky State!

The problem is the SIAC as a conference. Twelve losses between division champs mean your Championship Game is meaningless. The conference needs to revamp the methodology for determining its championship game participants.The Solution? A system that allows the best teams to play each other like every other football conference in the country.

This so-called Championship game severely diminishes the credibility of the conference and will make it difficult as individual schools seek to upgrade/improve their athletic programs.

What is the SIAC (hint: Presidents & AD's) thinking?  Maybe they don't think!

Offline RamMan4Life

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
The bigger problem I have is not that the "agreement" was not honored, but that there had to be one to begin with.
TU's AD knew that they needed a 10th game...
He didn't get it in writing....
The decision makers in the conference office are garbage....
A past to cherish....a future to fulfill.

Class of '92

Home of the1960 Albany State College Rams, who finished the season UNDEFEATED and a DEFENSE UNSCORED UPON!!

KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY,INC.
 "Detrimental" Delta Xi Chapter

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »
I really don't see any individual school as the problem, but a conference that has a pair of losing programs play in its championship is the problem. The problem? It's not Albany State, it's not Tuskegee it's not even Ft. Valley nor Kentucky State!

The problem is the SIAC as a conference. Twelve losses between division champs mean your Championship Game is meaningless. The conference needs to revamp the methodology for determining its championship game participants.The Solution? A system that allows the best teams to play each other like every other football conference in the country.

This so-called Championship game severely diminishes the credibility of the conference and will make it difficult as individual schools seek to upgrade/improve their athletic programs.

What is the SIAC (hint: Presidents & AD's) thinking?  Maybe they don't think!

I agree.  The method utilzed in determing the divisional winner is garbage.  IMO, all of the conference games played by a team should count in determining who represents the East and West in the Championship game.  If this game is to exist, dog gone it, do what makes sense!  I would like to think that the COPs would revisit  and correct this.  I am NOT holding my breath.     :no:

The bigger problem I have is not that the "agreement" was not honored, but that there had to be one to begin with.
TU's AD knew that they needed a 10th game...
He didn't get it in writing....
The decision makers in the conference office are garbage....

Co-signing.....especially taking in consideration some of the decisions made over the last several years.   :shrug:
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 12:56:28 PM »
 :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »
How long have they used this method to pick the division champs?

Offline ctrabs0114

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 03:30:53 PM »
My .02 as an outside and 'disinterested' neutral observer:

1. 'Skegee already played - and defeated - Albany State, 28-18, on Sept. 10. What exactly does ASU gain from a rematch that is designed to make TU playoff eligible, especially when the two teams have already faced each other?
2. I'll grant that TU may have dropped the ball by not scheduling a replacement game after Stillman dropped football. At the same time, scheduling an out-of-conference game in the middle of October is a lot easier said than done, given the way other conferences in the region (SAC, GSC) have their schedules set up. Even in December, there aren't a lot of options at TU's disposal or, for that matter, the majority of teams in similar situations.
3. I can understand if non-conference obligations from other SIAC teams prevented this from happening this season, but the easiest way to prevent these scheduling issues in the future is (1) eliminate the conference championship game and (2) a round-robin schedule with the first two weeks for OOC games (either FCS 'money games' or in-region games against CIAA, GSC or SAC teams.
4. Even if the SIAC chooses to stage a championship game, the league has to reconsider using divisional games only instead of divisional and inter-divisional games when determining a division champion, similar to how the CIAA format.
5. This situation could've been handled differently, that's for sure. But, kudos for Virginia State for stepping up and agreeing to this game. The SOS boost from playing an 8-2 VSU team helps Tuskegee, who more likely than not, has a path to the NCAA playoffs regardless of the outcome of this game, especially with the SAC overall being, well, lousy.

Offline Fly Young Intellectual

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »
Albany State isn't to blame totally for Tuskegee's predicament, but they definitely devalued their word. If I'm Skegee I'm running up the score on them in every sport!

Why would I be mad? ASU looks bad for giving their word then bringing it back, but you got it...

Offline SpecialK

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 09:46:42 PM »

Why would I be mad? ASU looks bad for giving their word then bringing it back, but you got it...

ASU does not look bad to me; it's not ASU responsibility to bail out TU for their Athletics Department's extremely poor decision/planning to not schedule 10 regular season games; it takes a lot of arrogance by TU to automatically assume they can use the SIAC Championship game as their 10th game

I would have been extremely pissed at FVSU if they had played TU had they lost the Fountain City Classic; Why should we?

The SIAC is the problem here; they created two divisions and limited the ability for all the institutions to play each other every season if they wanted to; TU always has a problem with scheduling games outside of the SIAC; the other institutions in the SIAC do not have this problem; Why is That?

TU needs to go back to playing Alabama State on Thanksgiving and forget about the playoffs; TU's Athletic Department doesn't have the mindset or desire to compete for the D2 National Championship
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:57:27 PM by SpecialK »
"It's Better to Die on your Feet Than to Live on Your Knees"
"The best way to predict the future is to create it"
"No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it"

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 07:49:12 AM »
Maybe this is the nudging that TU and Albany St needed to start looking around at options to leave the SIAC maybe.

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
TU the SWAC , ASU not sure Gulf South Conference or MEAC? It wouldn't affect the FCC rivalry at all.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
Maybe this is the nudging that TU and Albany St needed to start looking around at options to leave the SIAC maybe.

Why for TU? This is their own fault

Offline Valley Native

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
True, but maybe all that is needed sometimes is an excuse.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
TU the SWAC , ASU not sure Gulf South Conference or MEAC? It wouldn't affect the FCC rivalry at all.

TU is not moving up to D1.

Offline ASUALum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

You sir or ma'am... is delusional...I'm still waiting on a valid explanation on how in the heyal did this become an ASU problem... Why? Because our PLAYERS opted out of playing a pointless game? Hell, I wouldn't have played the game either! Why risk injury to save TU's a--...
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
"Detrimental" Delta Xi

"Excuses are tools of incompetence, used to build monuments of nothingness and those who specialize in them will never succeed"

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News