News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Many are shaking their heads at Albany State  (Read 3884 times)

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Many are shaking their heads at Albany State
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
With a contingent agreement set up prior to the Fountain City Classic, both schools agreed that the loser would play Tuskegee, giving them a chance at going to the playoffs. Many thought that the game would be between Fort Valley State University and Tuskegee University, and it was received with open arms. However, we, FVSU, topped Albany State; and Albany State backed out on their part of the agreement. It doesn't look good that Albany State University is no longer considered an HBCU, and now they won't honor their agreement with another HBCU. If it had been Albany put in this situation, they would feel the same way if an agreement wasn't held. 

Offline tiger4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Many are shaking their heads at Albany State
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »
We well I don't really know what the agreement was so I'm not holding any grudges on ASU...we should have had out ducks in order
ONCE A TIGER ALWAYS A TIGER  77‘

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »
With a contingent agreement set up prior to the Fountain City Classic, both schools agreed that the loser would play Tuskegee, giving them a chance at going to the playoffs. Many thought that the game would be between Fort Valley State University and Tuskegee University, and it was received with open arms. However, we, FVSU, topped Albany State; and Albany State backed out on their part of the agreement. It doesn't look good that Albany State University is no longer considered an HBCU, and now they won't honor their agreement with another HBCU. If it had been Albany put in this situation, they would feel the same way if an agreement wasn't held. 

???

ASU was under no obligation, and if there were no signatures put to paper then it is what it is. 

Besides, maybe the person that agreed didn't have the authority to agree - if there was ever any agreement in the first place - guess we will never know. Sounds like a bunch of miscommunication. 

Don't think any TU folks are blaming ASU anyway.  This could have been avoided well before the season started. 

Besides at this juncture it's moot - they were blessed to have found a replacement willing to travel to them, so perhaps they have a chance. 

:offtopic: Is TU paying for VSU's travel expenses?

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline SpecialK

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:47:10 PM »

To me, these type of backroom, secret agreements are disgusting.  Why FVSU would agree to this shows lack of strong leadership at the top;   TU knew the rules; it's their damn fault for not scheduling 10 games

If it true that Albany State back out of this agreement; Good for Them !!!!!
"It's Better to Die on your Feet Than to Live on Your Knees"
"The best way to predict the future is to create it"
"No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it"

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
And while I'm at it:

Stop saying ASU is no longer considered an HBCU.  Where do you get that from?   They will always be Historically Black - that was established over 100 years ago.  Hell Bluefield State is an HBCU that is predominantly white now.   Not only is ASU an HBCU but they're still (and will probably always be) predominantly BLACK.   #stopTrippin

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
And while I'm at it:

Stop saying ASU is no longer considered an HBCU.  Where do you get that from?   They will always be Historically Black - that was established over 100 years ago.  Hell Bluefield State is an HBCU that is predominantly white now.   Not only is ASU an HBCU but they're still (and will probably always be) predominantly BLACK.   #stopTrippin

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/albany-state-students-protest-keep-hbcu-status-mission-statement/Owaw81HfMtQBn5mh3gxCVJ/

I am not tripping. I hate that the support from Albany State University wasn't strong from the leadership or administrative staff, but it is what it is.[
/color]

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:30:39 PM »
And while I'm at it:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/albany-state-students-protest-keep-hbcu-status-mission-statement/Owaw81HfMtQBn5mh3gxCVJ/

I am not tripping. I hate that the support from Albany State University wasn't strong from the leadership or administrative staff, but it is what it is.[
/color]

:no:

They were protesting the fact that they are indeed an HBCU was not mentioned in the new mission statement.   How that translates in your mind that they aren't considered an HBCU I will never know.  

Just because it was not originally mentioned in the new mission statement does not negate the fact that Albany State University will ALWAYS be classified as a historically black institution.   That is a designation that is not lost simply because it is not mentioned in a damn mission statement.  HISTORICALLY, the school is BLACK.  :no:

History designates the classification, NOT a mission statement. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:35:21 PM by Valley Girl »

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
O.k, I could be wrong, but many people at the game, Albany State University alumni and supporters were stating the same thing and how they are worried, that with Albany State not being considered an HBCU, that the merger was very misleading. I tell you what, since you don't believe sh!t stinks, have one of your Caucasian friends call the BOR and ask them and see the response that they will receive. I did it for myself and found out that way, I had one of my friends call and poise the question and it was stated to him that, with the merger having passed and the mission statement ratified, that Albany State University is no longer considered an HBCU and that they are taking the necessary precautions, because many of Darton State College alumni and board members felt offended that their child would be graduation from a school categorize as an HBCU. For some reason, we lose out, and that can be seen through history, we are the ones that ends up assimilating and losing our foundation. We can ignore the facts, but look at history.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 11:07:55 PM »
Ok this is my last response to you:

Child I don't have to have my white friends call the Board to pose that question  - it is an institution founded prior to 1964 that had a principal mission of educating AA's.   That is what an HBCU is.  Merging with a white school can't change that.   That was established by a federal act.   Now, there might be concern that they won't remain predominantly black because of the merge, and that concern is legitimate although I don't think they are in danger of losing their identity like that. 

Those white folks might not want to consider it an HBCU, but that's exactly what it is and what it will be.   Until they make an "official" announcement about a change in their designation  (which they probably won't ever do because by mere definition it can't change what it has been historically), it is an HBCU.

I'm done.  ASU is not playing next week cause they don't want to, and TU found somebody else to play.   All's well that ends well.   

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:36:53 PM »
VG, Now I really want to marry you. Powerball or not. You're the Blue and Gold of my Heart. :hugs: Let's get married quickly so we can start working on those kids. :kisses:

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:42:23 AM »
VG, surely I must have knowed you mama. You said a mouthful. When I was at Virgina State College , we had the President of West Virgina State to come down and speak to us. We already had our first white student on camous and thought we were going to go the way of West Virginia State which had already gone 50-50.  As I understand it, in that poor state whites welcomed the Supreme Court decision of 1954. Now we can get a college eduction. We can attend those nearby "colored" schools.

And for those who don't know,  Norfolk State was originally a two year division of Virginia State. It was still refered to as "little state" when I was at VSC. There is no love lost.  You have to be very careful when you are a DIA playing a DII. It has to be worth the risk of a possibe defeat and if not and there is no financial gain, why bother.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 06:55:57 AM »
VG, Now I really want to marry you. Powerball or not. You're the Blue and Gold of my Heart. :hugs: Let's get married quickly so we can start working on those kids. :kisses:
Dayum BT what you gonna do????
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:56:16 AM »

To me, these type of backroom, secret agreements are disgusting.  Why FVSU would agree to this shows lack of strong leadership at the top;   TU knew the rules; it's their damn fault for not scheduling 10 games

If it true that Albany State back out of this agreement; Good for Them !!!!!

My man, Stillman dropped football which impacted TU schedule.  As stated, everyone knew that FVSU would lose, but Coach Porter had other plans. If FVSU could have played TU, it would have been a huge day for both schools. I am sure FVSU would have gained so much needed revenue for the game.  May that game would have opened the door for games with TU, and Lord knows we need it.

A good leader tries to find ways to build its brand.  As of today, FVSU need some money in its program.  I do not have an issue with it because I see the bigger picture.  Our President and AD are doing a good job of building our program.  I have a feeling that we will have one of the best in the nation. :clap:
Just my two cents!
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:29:47 AM »
I wish people would stop blaming the goats for this Tuskegee debacle. The goats has every right to rescind its offer. After a rivalry game like the Classic, your emotion and effort is spent and you have no desire to play another game that doesn't matter to you.   :no:

that's all...

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »
I don't blame the Goats for the stupidity of our AD but I do think that both schools should have said "Wait until Monday" rather than to "verbally agree" and then back out. But I am glad that VSU is willing to play us. The Trojans are a good team and it will be a major test for us and that is what we need. For me, playing a team twice when the 'ship is not involved would not generate the same interest...

Teeny and Little

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News