News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Many are shaking their heads at Albany State  (Read 3559 times)

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
Re: Many are shaking their heads at Albany State
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »
 :shrug:

[img width=132 height=200]https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67371432_10156326345266884_1713769312054935552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlfdZ935sl6FE5MZj_9zJ_1NUIg_F99ny8wv6p9o2iM8HzSKv6gn5rTxESyOfGqrv0&_nc_ht=s

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »
I hope this bitterness does not cause the Whitewater Classic to be shelved.   I do know that Albany State is not happy with the SIAC and TU at this moment.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »
I hope this bitterness does not cause the Whitewater Classic to be shelved.   I do know that Albany State is not happy with the SIAC and TU at this moment.

What did Skegee do to ASU for them to not be happy with us?

[img width=132 height=200]https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67371432_10156326345266884_1713769312054935552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlfdZ935sl6FE5MZj_9zJ_1NUIg_F99ny8wv6p9o2iM8HzSKv6gn5rTxESyOfGqrv0&_nc_ht=s

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »

Interesting question.   

Maybe they think the TU AD threw them under the bus.    :shrug:

ASU hasn't made an official statement either way, so it could be that 1.   They changed their minds like TU said and TU called them out or 2. They NEVER agreed to anything in the first place and TU's AD told a lie. 

Either one of those scenarios could cause the side eye. 

I don't know, just guessing.
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:50 PM »
VG-

I dunno but funny how if that conversation occurred leading into the FCC, then it really got sideways in a hurry after the game between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.  Interestingly enough, we have not heard any contrary intelligence from FVSU.  That coupled with other folks telling us we don't have the mindset or desire to compete for the D2 Championship.  This is more comedy and drama than anything I've seen in a long time.

Offline Utopia

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
http://www.walb.com/story/33651182/asu-tuskegee-dispute-football-game-agreement

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
Albany State will not be playing Tuskegee at home on November 12. That has led to a war of words of sorts between the two SIAC rivals.

Albany State athletic director Sherie Gordon said Albany State was approached by Tuskegee last week to play on November 12th in Albany if the Golden Rams lost to Fort Valley State in the Fountain City Classic.

The Golden Tigers rank 6th in the latest NCAA regional rankings, a spot that would earn them a playoff game. But Tuskegee has only played nine games. The NCAA requires teams to play at least 10 games to qualify for the postseason.

Gordon tells WALB ASU initially rejected the request on Friday.

On Saturday before the ASU-FVSU game, Gordon says ASU changed  their mind and "verbally agreed" to host the Golden Tigers on November 12.

After the Golden Rams' loss to FVSU, Gordon says she, head football coach Dan Land, and university president Dr. Art Dunning discussed the impromptu game again, this time deciding against playing it.

"One, this isn't a game that provided any benefit to Albany State," Gordon says.  "But two, specifically the risk of injury. We discussed a great deal that risk and playing in the game. It just didn't leave us feeling positive about the opportunity to compete."

Gordon says after reconsidering their decision to play, ASU immediately notified Tuskegee and the SIAC of their decision to not play. She says Albany State is aware of the impact of their choice to not play, but added this was not made to slight Tuskegee.

"We made it clear that this was not a decision not to support their institution or the SIAC, but a decision we felt was in the best interests of our student-athletes," Gordon says.

Tuskegee, though, is not happy with the Golden Rams. TU athletic director Curtis Campbell questioned Albany State's decision in a statement released Monday by the TU athletic department.

"I am very disappointed in Albany State's decision not to honor their agreement," Tuskegee athletic director Curtis Campbell says in the same statement. "As members of the SIAC, we must be able to trust the word of a member institution."

Gordon declined to comment on Campbell's statement, instead saying she and Albany State wish Tuskegee well.

Gordon did say she hopes the SIAC will work to make sure teams are scheduling correctly.

"We hopes this sparks the conversation, from a conference perspective, of implementing policies to ensure these types of scheduling errors don't happen in the future," Gordon says.

The two schools played earlier this season. Tuskegee defeated Albany State 28-18 on September 10 at the White Water Classic in Phenix City, AL. Tuskegee says they are attempting to secure a 10th game for November 12
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:57:27 PM by Utopia »
)112 SIAC Titles; Elite 8 Men's Basketball '14; SIAC Softball Champs '14, '15 & "16; NCAA WBB Title Game '82; NCAA Football Playoffs, '13, '14 , '15  & '16; 31 SIAC Football Titles; 8 HBCU Football National Titles; Only HBCU with 600 football wins (692); 7 USA Olympians-'48, '52, '56, '60

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Hmmm.....
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »

Those feelings are probably mutual. As I said the other day, we should not have asked before the FCC and ASU (probably assuming it would win the FCC) should not have "verbally agreed" until after the game was played

Teeny and Little

Offline SpecialK

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »
Albany State isn't to blame totally for Tuskegee's predicament, but they definitely devalued their word. If I'm Skegee I'm running up the score on them in every sport!

:shrug: You Mad?

Why would I be mad? ASU looks bad for giving their word then bringing it back, but you got it...

You sir or ma'am... is delusional...I'm still waiting on a valid explanation on how in the heyal did this become an ASU problem... Why? Because our PLAYERS opted out of playing a pointless game? Hell, I wouldn't have played the game either! Why risk injury to save TU's a--...

INJURIES was also my main concern about FVSU agreeing to play that 11th game for them which was a totally meaningless game; FVSU's Athletic Department was not thinking what was best for their Student-Athletes when they agreed to play that meaningless game.
"It's Better to Die on your Feet Than to Live on Your Knees"
"The best way to predict the future is to create it"
"No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it"

Offline Onnidan Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2016, 08:57:19 AM »

Interesting question.   

Maybe they think the TU AD threw them under the bus.    :shrug:

ASU hasn't made an official statement either way, so it could be that 1.   They changed their minds like TU said and TU called them out or 2. They NEVER agreed to anything in the first place and TU's AD told a lie. 

Either one of those scenarios could cause the side eye. 

I don't know, just guessing.

Although Albany State hasn't released an "official statement" this is a report on WALB, Albany's local TV station

http://www.walb.com/story/33651182/asu-tuskegee-dispute-football-game-agreement

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
Albany State will not be playing Tuskegee at home on November 12. That has led to a war of words of sorts between the two SIAC rivals.

Albany State athletic director Sherie Gordon said Albany State was approached by Tuskegee last week to play on November 12th in Albany if the Golden Rams lost to Fort Valley State in the Fountain City Classic.

The Golden Tigers rank 6th in the latest NCAA regional rankings, a spot that would earn them a playoff game. But Tuskegee has only played nine games. The NCAA requires teams to play at least 10 games to qualify for the postseason.

Gordon tells WALB ASU initially rejected the request on Friday.

On Saturday before the ASU-FVSU game, Gordon says ASU changed  their mind and "verbally agreed" to host the Golden Tigers on November 12.

After the Golden Rams' loss to FVSU, Gordon says she, head football coach Dan Land, and university president Dr. Art Dunning discussed the impromptu game again, this time deciding against playing it.

"One, this isn't a game that provided any benefit to Albany State," Gordon says.  "But two, specifically the risk of injury. We discussed a great deal that risk and playing in the game. It just didn't leave us feeling positive about the opportunity to compete."

Gordon says after reconsidering their decision to play, ASU immediately notified Tuskegee and the SIAC of their decision to not play. She says Albany State is aware of the impact of their choice to not play, but added this was not made to slight Tuskegee.

"We made it clear that this was not a decision not to support their institution or the SIAC, but a decision we felt was in the best interests of our student-athletes," Gordon says.

Tuskegee, though, is not happy with the Golden Rams. TU athletic director Curtis Campbell questioned Albany State's decision in a statement released Monday by the TU athletic department.

"I am very disappointed in Albany State's decision not to honor their agreement," Tuskegee athletic director Curtis Campbell says in the same statement. "As members of the SIAC, we must be able to trust the word of a member institution."

Gordon declined to comment on Campbell's statement, instead saying she and Albany State wish Tuskegee well.

Gordon did say she hopes the SIAC will work to make sure teams are scheduling correctly.

"We hopes this sparks the conversation, from a conference perspective, of implementing policies to ensure these types of scheduling errors don't happen in the future," Gordon says.

The two schools played earlier this season. Tuskegee defeated Albany State 28-18 on September 10 at the White Water Classic in Phenix City, AL. Tuskegee says they are attempting to secure a 10th game for November 12.

Copyright 2016 WALB.  All rights reserved.
=OW=

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
The bottom line is each school's reputation has been tarnished. No telling how this situation is being by perspective recruits. The game tomorrow is tainted as with the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:40:12 AM by klg14 »
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
Oh well. :snicker
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline Ojuice TI75

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2016, 08:09:11 AM »
I don't feel there is any responsibility on Albany State! Tuskegee must be held accountable for:

1) Not replacing Stillman and note there is still two holes in the Golden Tigers schedule for 2017. The Stillman gap still exist for the near future!

2) Being a part of the decision within the SIAC, to only consider divisional games and not conference games in determining participants in the SIAC "championship" Game.

3) Losing to Kentucky State!

Albany State had no obligation to play Tuskegee a second time and had every right to decline/change their mind after losing the Fountain City Classic to Ft. Valley State...........

I just don't know which 4-6 losing team to cheer for in the SIAC "championship" Game!

Does anybody want to guess the SIAC "championship" Game Attendance?
2,000 maybe even 2,500!!!!

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2016, 08:33:32 AM »
OJ,

Don't understand 2. That decision was voted on by conference schools. Even if we voted no, the majority rules.

MB1,

The Trojans don't want or need  you.  :no:  I keep telling you jealousy does not become you...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:38:02 AM by Golden Kitten »

Teeny and Little

Offline Ojuice TI75

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
OJ,
Don't understand 2. That decision was voted on by conference schools. Even if we voted no, the majority rules

GK, I clearly understand that it's a conference policy, however I don't know that TU's AD and/or President voted against such a policy.

Are you aware they voted against (or for) a "Division-Only" record for SIAC "championship" Game participants ?
OJ

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News