News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Fort Valley State tops Albany State, earns shot at SIAC title  (Read 1119 times)

Offline fvsuvallycat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Fort Valley State tops Albany State, earns shot at SIAC title
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:51:18 PM »
http://www.macon.com/sports/college/article112843918.html

COLUMBUS
Fort Valley State scored 21 unanswered points in the second half Saturday to beat Albany State 21-17 in the 27th annual Fountain City Classic at A.J. McClung Memorial Stadium.

With the victory, Fort Valley State (4-6, 3-1 conference) advances to the SIAC championship game, to be held Saturday in Montgomery, Alabama. The Wildcats will play Kentucky State, a team that beat Fort Valley State in the regular season 26-10.

“This is huge for our program, huge for our kids,” Fort Valley State head coach Kevin Porter said. “I’m happy for the fans. It’s been awhile since we’ve beaten Albany State. They have a fabulous program.”

The game was all Albany State in the first half. The Golden Rams took the opening drive 67 yards for a touchdown. Caleb Edmonds passed 4 yards to Treyvon Vallery to finish the drive. The Golden Rams led 7-0.

Albany State made it 14-0 when running back Treyvon Vallery scored from 1 yard out, which completed a 12-play, 61-yard drive.

Offensively, The Golden Rams were led by Edmonds, who passed for 131 yards and rushed for 44 yards, and Vallery, who scored two touchdowns.

Albany State added a field goal in the second quarter and led 17-0 at halftime.

In the second half, however, the defense stepped up for Fort Valley State and shut out the Golden Rams. The Wildcats defense was led by senior defensive back Brian Walker, who recorded nine tackles, 1.5 sacks and 1.5 tackles for loss. Williams was named MVP of the game.

“It feels great,” said Williams. “I’m very excited. Can’t wait to play Kentucky State next week.”

Offensively, Fort Valley State looked sharper in the second half and came out aggressively throwing the ball more.

At 12:12 to play in the third quarter, Otis Brown connected with Bodarius Johnson for an 18-yard scoring strike, cutting the score to 17-7.

Then, early in the fourth quarter, Fort Valley State struck again when Samuel Ryan returned a fumble 34 yards for a touchdown. That trimmed the score to 17-14.

The winning score for Fort Valley came at 9:45 in the fourth quarter when Brown found Johnson again for a 39-yard touchdown across the middle of the field.

Albany State threatened to score late in the fourth quarte,r but twice they failed to convert on fourth down and turned the ball over on downs.

Difference maker: Johnson had five catches for 90 yards and two touchdowns.

Individual stats: Albany State running back Jarvis Small, 80 yards, 17 carries. Albany State receiver Quadrey Simmons, 4 catches, 82 yards. Brown, 13-of-26, 186 yards, two touchdowns

Coach quote: “We challenged our kids at halftime to be more physical. We challenged them to execute better. They responded and we capitalized on some opportunities,” Porter said.

Player quote: “The coaches challenged us, and we accepted the challenge,” Walker said. “This team has not given up all year.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/article112843918.html#storylink=cpy

Offline Wildcat1025

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Valley State tops Albany State, earns shot at SIAC title
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
 :clap:
Fort Valley State University
www.fvsu.edu
www.fvsusports.com

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »

If they given me on more year, I would have...
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »
Que,

:nono2:

Go to the corner, NOW!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »

If they given me on more year, I would have...

You know what?   I think Spady needs an OC - keep it up.....

You Know one thing I've enjoyed through this season even though it's been rough? Seeing a coach on the sidelines that actively participates in the game - not sit on the sidelines like a big lump of nothing.   Can't even begin to describe the elation I feel knowing that he is nowhere around.  Stayed 4 years longer than he should have. 
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:20:07 AM »

Congratulations Wildcats ... you're headed in the right direction..  :clap: :clap:
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
Congrats to Wildkitties.... :clap:

Teeny and Little

Offline tusmse

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
    • http://inside boeing
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
Good for FVSU!!!!!
 I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!

Offline Sara

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »
 :clap: :clap:

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 06:55:12 PM »
I just glanced at the SIAC standings earlier today ... some teams have played 7 conference games, some 5, some 4 ... how does this work?!?!?

http://www.thesiac.com/standings.aspx?path=fball

Offline tiger4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
Jrob looks like some counted all games in conference and others only counting division.. case in point Albany didn't count games against Miles Or Tuskegee
ONCE A TIGER ALWAYS A TIGER  77‘

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 07:26:24 PM »
Jrob looks like some counted all games in conference and others only counting division.. case in point Albany didn't count games against Miles Or Tuskegee

As long as you all understand it.   :shrug:

Offline tiger4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
I agree with you... :crazy:
ONCE A TIGER ALWAYS A TIGER  77‘

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:35 AM »
See, Que. You are going to make me make some phone calls over in Normal. You know we have some high ranking officials that work over there to put a little bug in their ears.

that's all...    >:(

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
See, Que. You are going to make me make some phone calls over in Normal. You know we have some high ranking officials that work over there to put a little bug in their ears.

that's all...    >:(

Yogi,

:nono2:   

Don't do that.   I would not want anyone, not even the Billy Goats, to go through what FVS have endured over the last 10 years. 
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News