News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Fountain City Classic 2016  (Read 573 times)

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Fountain City Classic 2016
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »
I'm asking that we really make a statement for the Fountain City Classic, and I'm hoping that word can spread to all attendees and that the cooperation comes from both fan bases of both schools, Fort Valley State University and Albany State University; what I am referencing of is not standing and kneeling during the National Anthem. If all attendees were to kneel or sit during the playing of the National Anthem, especially with it being the weekend before the election, it would get major publicity. Now is a better time than ever, with Albany State now being merged with Darton State University. It would be on every major outlet. LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

#BLUE&GOLDkneeldown2standup
#FCC2k16kneeldown

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain City Classic 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
Darton State College...

What would be the statement?
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »
Well, the statement would be, of course, that Black Lives Matter. Now, with Albany State having merged, and also losing its status as an HBCU and having it charter ratified, from what I read; it would show that we stand as one and have concerns. The founding of Albany State University, was designed for people of color, and history has shown and proven that we, as a race, end up assimilating and our heritage becomes hidden. I hope that that is not the case for ASU.

Ultimately, it would make a statement and it would be recognize.

#BLUE&GOLDKneelDown2StandUp
#FCC2k16KneelDown
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:20:53 AM by #1wildcatfan »

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »
Well, the statement would be, of course, that Black Lives Matter. Now, with Albany State having merged, and also losing its status as an HBCU and having it charter ratified, from what I read; it would show that we stand as one and have concerns. The founding of Albany State University, was designed for people of color, and history has shown and proven that we, as a race, end up assimilating and our heritage becomes hidden. I hope that that is not the case for ASU.

Ultimately, it would make a statement and it would be recognize.

#BLUE&GOLDKneelDown2StandUp
#FCC2k16KneelDown

:shrug:

:no:   FYI.....Albany ST is NOT loosing its HBCU designation. 
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:14:37 PM »
Not to venture off topic, the overall matter is that we can come together in a huge manner and make a large statement. I did post the link. And I may need to correct myself, but the charter was ratified and amended from the original. Below is the source and link.  

Lets display a message

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/albany-state-students-protest-keep-hbcu-status-mission-statement/Owaw81HfMtQBn5mh3gxCVJ/

Albany State students protest to keep HBCU status in mission statement

Janel Davis  The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
4:27 p.m Friday, March 11, 2016  Atlanta Education News
Facebook Twitter   Share 0
Hundreds of Albany State University students walked out of a presentation Friday by the school’s president in protest of the school’s new mission statement.

Students are upset that the new statement lacks any reference to Albany State’s status as an historically black college or university, according to a report by local news station WALB. The students wore all black and left the building at the same time, the station reported.

The new mission statement, approved this week by the state’s Board of Regents, is part of a merger between Albany State and Darton State College.

The consolidation is the first in Georgia to combine a historically black college with a predominantly white institution. Regents approved the initial merger plan last year, and at the time University System Chancellor Hank Huckaby vowed to maintain Albany State’s HBCU mission.

The new mission statement for the combined school gives a nod to Albany State’s origins, but does not include the term “historically black” institution,” like the school’s previous statement did.

The original statement begins:

“Albany State University, a historically black institution in Southwest Georgia, has been a catalyst for change in the region from its inception as the Albany Bible and Manual Training Institute to its designation as a university. Founded in 1903 to educate African American youth, the University proudly continues to fulfill its historic mission while also serving the educational needs of an increasingly diverse student population.”

The new statement includes this sentence:

“ASU respects and builds on the historical roots of its institutional predecessors with its commitment to access and a strong liberal arts heritage that respects diversity in all its forms and gives all students the foundation they need to succeed.”

Students involved in the protest and others supporting them took to social media with messages about keeping the HBCU in ASU, and tweeting with hashtags including #HBCUStrong

We have reached out to Albany State’s administration about the protest over the mission statement, and will update this report with any response they provide.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:22:40 PM by #1wildcatfan »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News