News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: FVSU Wildcats 2016 Season  (Read 1550 times)

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
FVSU Wildcats 2016 Season
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »
In all fairness, I think Coach Porter is a good coach and great person, especially taking the job in the conditions in which he took the job; however, I do not believe that FVSU's football program has ever started off like this; overall 1-4 and in conference 1-2.  I know that there is still little room to turn the season around, but I thought we were better than this watching the first game. 

I bet Coach Pittman is at home thinking to himself, "I may have lost, but I never lost to Lane or started off like this."

Change doesn't happen overnight, but in comparison to last year and seasons before, this seems like it may be one of our longest season in our school's history. Do understand, I stated that, "I DO NOT BELIEVE" and that this "MAY BE ONE OF OUR LONGEST." I know that in time we will get better and that we are better with Pittman and Murfree gone from the program.

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: FVSU Wildcats 2016 Season
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »
Give the man a chance. If I was you I wouldn't count this year at all. This is no year to be judging him IMHO.

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
You are definitely right. We have to give him a chance, as well as stay supportive. He needs time, but I think this somewhat could have been prevented if some of the alumni wouldn't have pulled there money from the program; then Coach Porter would have come in with a good cushion for scholarships and he could evoke discipline on the team, but with nine scholarships; it is hard to do something

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
#1WildcatFan, I understand your disappointment, but we have to look at some key numbers.  We have NINE scholarships to divide among the who team.  So off the bat, we will have a depth issue with the team.  We are lucky to have a chance in any game. 

One of the biggest issue I see and I saw this from the start is we have SEVEN O-linemen.  I do not know if you played football or not, but you only have two linemen as backups.  This is one of the reasons why our offense is not producing as it should.  I have seen several games where one or two of the O-linemen are tired , but they cannot get a break.  This leads to lack or effort on certain plays or mental errors. 

I know many have complained about the lack of discipline on the team, but they have to understand, we lack depth.  What in the LLLL does that have to do with anything?  First of all, some of the players will be tired and that can lead to mental errors.  Number two, lack of depth prevents the coach from bench players who make too many mistakes.

I recall one of my school coaches would throw your a-- on the bench for screwing up. I recall in the Washington county game, we knew the first play that they would run.  The coach was telling my cousin all week not to let the Tight end off the line on the first offense play. He told him, I do not care what you have to do, but they 6-6 260 pound TE better get off the line. 

The first play Washington county ran was a play-action pass to the TE for a TD.  As soon as we hit the sideline, the coach grabbed my cousin and said I been telling you all week not to let him off the line.  He threw him on the bench and said who on this team can do what I ask them to do.

Sometimes, a player has to learn you have to follow the game plan. If you freelance there is a price to play.  That coach was not that bad of a person. He will allow you do things your way, but it better work.  Right now, our players have to learn to play winning football and I believe we have the right man to do,
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:55 PM »
The coach is aware of the issues:
The Wildcats had five turnovers last week. The week before that, they overcame 11 penalties to beat Clark Atlanta.

Through the first four games of Porter’s tenure, the Wildcats have 51 penalties and 11 turnovers.

“Every week, we’re just trying to refine what we do,” Porter said. “Obviously, it’s a process. You’re playing a bunch of young kids, playing a young quarterback, and he’s going to have his ups and downs. But we just have to overcome some of the things that have gone on this season and play well enough to win the game.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/article105187191.html#storylink=cpy

As of now, there is very little he can do about it because he does not have the depth.

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
Now for those who love the team, I am asking that you donate some amount to the scholarship fund.  We need money to get some more O-linemen.  I would like to see a mixture of transfers, JUCO, and recruits when building the line.  I know we need at least 15 linemen next year.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
Not disappointed at all.  Dude was behind the 8 ball.  Most of us knew this going into this season regardless of who was coach

Donald Pittman need not say a damn thing.  He came into a situation where the cupboard wasn't bare, which is why he never lost to Lane or others  - his sorry @zz didn't leave this man with a lot, and because of his ill advised actions (on AND OFF the field), Porter didn't have a lot of time or resources.  

Donald Pittman AND the Larry Rivers administration were the two worst things to ever happen to FVSU athletics.  Wish I could kick em both in the behind.
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Wildcat1025

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »
I like VG. I  have little disappointment but it's hard watching us limp to 1 - 4 with the continual undiscipline with stupid penalties.

But I did renew my season tickets for the year.

The AD needs to open up the TD Club because I wanted to contribute but I missed the deadline by a day SMH. That's more money opportunities for the football team that I am still willing to contribute to.
Fort Valley State University
www.fvsu.edu
www.fvsusports.com

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »
Hang in there Wildcats. I dreamed of Better Days for Miles and look what happen to my Golden Bears. :nod:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
You guys know I have to be truthful.  We cannot solely place the blame on two people.  It was a team effort because the BOR changed the rules for funding sports.  In the past, we could have used all of the student fees to support our team.

I recall that the previous AD stated that the football program needs at least $400K.  In the past, it would not have been an issue because if we have 2,000 students, we could quickly raise $400K.

For us to use student fees now, we have to match that amount with funds from other sources.  In the short-term, it hurt us because people stop supporting the program.  In the long-term, the BOR may help us get better because the program will have more money. 

If we can raise $400 or through private donations, season tickets sales, touchdown clubs, and alumni donations, we could have close to one Million dollars for the coaches to utilize.  One million could provide 36 scholarships and provide equipment for the team.

Offline #1wildcatfan

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:59 AM »
Cats4ever, I truly understand where you are coming from. That's why in older posts I was urging for the support to not stop, even though there was great disdain for Coach Pittman. For some reason, many didn't see the larger picture and as a result, it is showing. Valley Girl, I remember, posted that she wasn't contributing anything due to the coach; and other alums like her vowed the same thing. We can only go up from here. I was taught it's easier to keep a fire going, than to let it die out or almost die out, then try to get it started again. And the program is suffering, but I'm glad we have some embers to try to get it blazing again.

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
Cats4ever, I truly understand where you are coming from. That's why in older posts I was urging for the support to not stop, even though there was great disdain for Coach Pittman. For some reason, many didn't see the larger picture and as a result, it is showing. Valley Girl, I remember, posted that she wasn't contributing anything due to the coach; and other alums like her vowed the same thing. We can only go up from here. I was taught it's easier to keep a fire going, than to let it die out or almost die out, then try to get it started again. And the program is suffering, but I'm glad we have some embers to try to get it blazing again.

PWIs do thing differently.  When they want a coach gone they give more money? They do not want the program to suffer.  In fact, I have been looking at how the big boys operate.  Did you guys know that Ga Tech has two tickets prices for the same seat?  You can pay $40 or $50 for the same seat.  The extra ten will go to the GT fund.  How many of us will be willing to donate an extra 10 for the same seat?

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:35 AM »
I damn sure did say that, and I don't regret it either.  People have the right to vote with their pocketbooks and that's what I did.   Doesn't mean I don't love my school and it doesn't mean I don't care about athletics.  I've been supporting FVS football for over 3 damn decades.  The fact that I took those measures ought to tell you how passionate I was and how fed up I was. 

Not that it's any of your business, but my money was not withheld - it was REDIRECTED. 

Don't you ever question the decisions I make with MY money, or my loyalty to Fort Valley State University. 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »
I damn sure did say that, and I don't regret it either.  People have the right to vote with their pocketbooks and that's what I did.   Doesn't mean I don't love my school and it doesn't mean I don't care about athletics.  I've been supporting FVS football for over 3 damn decades.  The fact that I took those measures ought to tell you how passionate I was and how fed up I was. 

Not that it's any of your business, but my money was not withheld - it was REDIRECTED. 

Don't you ever question the decisions I make with MY money, or my loyalty to Fort Valley State University. 
Whew, knew this was coming as soon as I read dude(ette)'s post.  :lol:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Lord, remove the front teeth of my enemies so I can know them by their smile.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
Hush up mane  :lol: :lol:

I swear they must teach a class on the art of starting/instigating sh@t at Alabama A&M, because you and Cee dog are a MESS  :lol:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News