News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Aggies Picked #1 Again in the MEAC  (Read 3148 times)

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Aggies Picked #1 Again in the MEAC
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2016, 07:13:39 PM »

but i agree that duke would never allow an hbcu to use their stadium for the aggie/eagle.  i just don’t see that happening, at all...

osa,

A history lesson:  NCCU and A&T have played twice at Wallace Wade Stadium.  We played in 1972 (my senior) and 1974.   In 1972 the MEAC title was on the line.  Both teams came into the game with identical records (4-1 MEAC and 8-1 Overall).  The teams were so similar that we both lost on the same weekend on the road.  NCCU lost at Delaware State and A&T lost at UMES.  It was both of those school's homecomings.

35,000 fans packed into Wallace Wade Stadium on Saturday afternoon November 18, 1972. The winner would represent the MEAC in the First Pelican Bowl in New Orleans against the winner of the SWAC.  NCCU won the game 9 - 7 on a FG with only :32 left in the game.   ;D   :clap:    :bow:

In 1974 we played again at Duke.  That year some "fool" managed to drive his car to field level.  During the 4th quarter he drove onto the field, got out of his car, walked over the NCCU players on the field and starting slapping hands with them because we were beating the Aggies for the 6th year in a row.  We won 29 - 18.  We have not played at Wallace Wade since then.

that was all long before my time, that’s for sure.  but you’ve got to consider that wade stadium was nowhere near as nice back then as it is now.  now that duke football is a winning program, they’ve invested far more dollars into their football than years past.

and i have actually heard stories about someone driving a car onto their field.  betcha they wouldn’t rent out to an hbcu now, not after those expensive upgrades they’ve recently made at wallace wade...

I thought you were truly old school like me and OldSchoolRam.  I guess you are still a young whipper snapper.   :lol:    Wallace Wade had not changed a lot from the early 1970s until all of their recent upgrades last year. 

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »
Drumma1,
You have posted a lot on this matter. Have you sent ONE email/letter to someone who can green light or not any of your ideas?

This issue? No, I have not.

You would be surprised who reads Onnidan, though.  There is method to my madness.

Really?  I would think that direct contact would be more effective.  I mean anybody can post anonymously.

I'm well aware that some mover-shaker types read Onnidan. 

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:22 PM »
Wallace Wade had not changed a lot from the early 1970s until all of their recent upgrades last year. 

that's my point.  i was trying to say that duke was probably more willing to rent wade stadium before all of the recent new renovations, including back in the 70's.  and by the way, i do go way back, just not as far back as the early 70's.  i was still in middle school in the early 70's...

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 01:19:11 AM »
Wallace Wade had not changed a lot from the early 1970s until all of their recent upgrades last year. 

that's my point.  i was trying to say that duke was probably more willing to rent wade stadium before all of the recent new renovations, including back in the 70's.  and by the way, i do go way back, just not as far back as the early 70's.  i was still in middle school in the early 70's...

NCCU has always had a good relationship with Duke.  But they probably don't want their field messed up by us.  I am sure they would not allow us to paint the field Maroon and Gray or put the Eagle logo at midfield.   NC State never allowed that all of the years we played at Carter Finley Stadium.

The NCCU AD said that she would NOT even consider moving our game to a Thursday night for TV.   That would be totally crazy.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »
Lol , it would still sell out and you would make the extra money

Offline Aggie77

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »

but i agree that duke would never allow an hbcu to use their stadium for the aggie/eagle.  i just don’t see that happening, at all...

osa,

A history lesson:  NCCU and A&T have played twice at Wallace Wade Stadium.  We played in 1972 (my senior) and 1974.   In 1972 the MEAC title was on the line.  Both teams came into the game with identical records (4-1 MEAC and 8-1 Overall).  The teams were so similar that we both lost on the same weekend on the road.  NCCU lost at Delaware State and A&T lost at UMES.  It was both of those school's homecomings.

35,000 fans packed into Wallace Wade Stadium on Saturday afternoon November 18, 1972. The winner would represent the MEAC in the First Pelican Bowl in New Orleans against the winner of the SWAC.  NCCU won the game 9 - 7 on a FG with only :32 left in the game.   ;D   :clap:    :bow:

In 1974 we played again at Duke.  That year some "fool" managed to drive his car to field level.  During the 4th quarter he drove onto the field, got out of his car, walked over the NCCU players on the field and starting slapping hands with them because we were beating the Aggies for the 6th year in a row.  We won 29 - 18.  We have not played at Wallace Wade since then.

I bet that was the last time y'all played there.....

:lmao:

The 1972 Pelican Bowl was moved to Durham because of riots at Southern Univ in Baton Rouge a week or 2 before Thanksgiving.   So NCCU and Grambling did play at Wallace Wade.
Was it a good game or a blowout?

Yep it was a blow-out. I was there and you probably were also. ;) This was the Grambling Tigers of the early 70s, to much speed!! It seem like every Grambling TD was least 50 yards or more. There's a YouTube video out there.
Mens et Manus

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »
How can i get a reserve tix on the NCCU side?

Call the NCCU ticket office 919-530-5170.   If you want one of the reserved ESL seats be prepared to pay $86 for one ticket.  THAT'S RIGHT $86!!!!!!!   There are non ESL reserved seats also.  They will cost at least $50.

So what is the difference in the 50 and 86 buck ticket. I asked a friend that's an Eagle alum and I thought he was kidding

I know your Eagle friend.  He told me he told you about the $85 tickets.  If you have not been to OKR since 2014 there have been major changes to the reserved seat section on the "home side".   The center section (Section D) and some seats on both sides of Section D had all of those bleachers removed.  They were replaced by individual seats with backs to them.  Every other row was put back into it's place.  Therefore you have extended leg room and wider seats.  For myself it is great because I am 6'6".  You do not have to stand up to let someone go past you.  Also you no longer have to bring your stadium seat with you into the game.   :clap:   :bow:   These seats are called "ESL" (Eagle Seat Licensing).  Last year we paid an additional $225 per seat.  These will last for 3 years.  But this year and next year we have to pay at $75 maintenance fee per seat.  The ESL will be reviewed for the 2018 season.

The $50 tickets are regular bleacher seats next to the ESL seats but they are reserved.   All other seats are General Admission.

Those PSL's are a smart idea. I can't believe I wrote this but I gotta call it when I see it; smart.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News