News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: SWAC changing up conference hoops tourney to include host sites  (Read 1428 times)

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/on-the-sidelines/2016/06/10/swac-changing-up-conference-hoops-tourney-include-host-sites/85691062/

The Southwestern Athletic Conference is switching up its men's and women's basketball conference tournament.

The league announced Thursday it is moving from a five-day, 10-team tournament held at the Toyota Center in Houston, home of the Rockets, to a three-day, eight-team event that will feature host sites for the quarterfinal round.

Instead of making a week-long event out of it, SWAC officials will save money by holding the semifinals and finals in Houston for two days while the top four seeds host the quarterfinals.

League officials, presidents and athletic directors, among others, for the 10 members schools met Thursday in Birmingham, Alabama, to approve the changes. The league also announced a three-year extension for the SWAC football championship and SWAC basketball championship to remain in Houston.

The changes will go into effect for 2017 when the tournament starts Tuesday, March 7, 2016, with four quarterfinal games. The No. 1 seed will host the No. 8 seed, the No. 2 seed will host the No. 7 seed, the No. 3 seed will host the No. 6 seed and the No. 4 seed will host the No. 5 seed.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: SWAC changing up conference hoops tourney to include host sites
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 09:14:07 PM »
I like it
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 10:06:39 PM »
Sounds good for the early rounds but I don't know about the finals and the semis. 

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
I like it.  It should build even more excitement for the tourney. 

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:39:08 AM »
It makes the regular season mean something.  Teams may play harder in order to make the tournament.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:31 AM »
OHHH....GOLDEN KITTEN. This is what she has been harping for years for us to do in the SIAC.

that's all...   :lol:

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »
OHHH....GOLDEN KITTEN. This is what she has been harping for years for us to do in the SIAC.

that's all...   :lol:

this is what we used to do and it worked out so well for us...we got way more fan/student involvement...we even moved the Championship Game around for awhile. I can remember as a student when the other teams would come and be walking around campus.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »
the semis and final should be at the home of the top seed - if you want ever more excitement   :shrug:

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
the semis and final should be at the home of the top seed - if you want ever more excitement   :shrug:

Lord help if Valley or Alcorn end up with the top seeds.  Or different schools have women's and men's top seeds.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
Yogi and Ramses,

Exactly... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »
the semis and final should be at the home of the top seed - if you want ever more excitement   :shrug:

Lord help if Valley or Alcorn end up with the top seeds.  Or different schools have women's and men's top seeds.
^^^^^
Exactly!!!  I guess he didn't put much thought into that statement.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »
I think its a good idea

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 06:35:37 PM »
the semis and final should be at the home of the top seed - if you want ever more excitement   :shrug:

Lord help if Valley or Alcorn end up with the top seeds.  Or different schools have women's and men's top seeds.
^^^^^

They are D-1.  The Men and Women's tournament can be at different locations. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 07:36:23 PM »

^^^^^

I know what the heyal a D1 school can do but I doubt if Lorman, MS or Itta Bena, MS could support a basketball tournament.  Most D1 basketball conferences have their semi finals/finals at neutral sites not at the top seed's home gym as the poster indicated. It would really be nice if you stayed in your lane. ::)
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »

^^^^^

I know what the heyal a D1 school can do but I doubt if Lorman, MS or Itta Bena, MS could support a basketball tournament.  Most D1 basketball conferences have their semi finals/finals at neutral sites not at the top seed's home gym as the poster indicated. It would really be nice if you stayed in your lane. ::)

Stop being a crab.  It just might work.  The current way they do a tournament is lacking.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule