News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: New FVSU Coach Selected  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
New FVSU Coach Selected
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »

http://www.fvsusports.com/news/2016/6/7/former-nfl-player-named-fvsu-head-football-coach.aspx

FORMER NFL PLAYER NAMED FVSU HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

Jun. 07, 2016 Football
FORT VALLEY, GA (June 7, 2016) – Fort Valley State University Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Joshua W. Murfree, Jr., has named Kevin Porter as the new head football coach.

A press conference is scheduled for Monday, June 13, 2016 at 11 a.m. in FVSU's Health and Physical Education Complex lobby.

Porter has an extensive background in coaching, including 10 seasons as both an assistant and head coach at the professional level. His coaching experience also includes stints at the University of West Georgia as an assistant coach and Point University as head coach and athletic director.

Porter coached the Arena Football League and the associated developmental league called arenafootball2 (af2.) In 2000, Porter was head coach with the Pensacola Barracudas, followed by several seasons as head coach of the Macon Knights. He took his afF2 teams to the playoffs all four seasons and had won the most games in af2 history (45-27) before moving on to serve as defensive coordinator for the AFL's New Orleans VooDoo, and then as head coach of the ALF's Kansas City Brigade.
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline MisterIkester

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: New FVSU Coach Selected
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
Will his resume result in a good, well-run program?

We'll see in 3 months.
"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." -James Baldwin

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
He's behind the 8 ball this year.   A sensible AD would have dropped the hammer on Pittman in November, but I did say sensible so....

I hope that he makes strides this year, and that next year we will see marked improvement.  This is the first time in a LONG time that I'm not really disappointed in who was hired, so we shall see.

I wish him the best. 
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
He's behind the 8 ball this year.   A sensible AD would have dropped the hammer on Pittman in November, but I did say sensible so....

I hope that he makes strides this year, and that next year we will see marked improvement.  This is the first time in a LONG time that I'm not really disappointed in who was hired, so we shall see.

I wish him the best. 
Well his last name is Porter. ;D  That name has been very good to FVSU! :lol:
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
Waiting on Yogi's reply, before I head back to James P. Brawley Drive :lol:
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »
If SHE likes him, I like him.  ;D
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Bigcat

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
Congrats Kevin P. on your hire.  Maybe we can establish a better middle Georgia conection of talent in The Valley. :clap:

Offline LoveFVSU

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
Really seems like an improvement over the last coach we had.  But, I have to say in my opinion, it does not take much to be better than what we just had. I am optimistic and looking forward to August.  However, when a program has been down a low as our program has for the past few years (last 2 coaches), it is going to take a lot to get things back respectable.  We must be patient and be willing to accept small successes a little bit at a time.  I just hope the team shows good discipline and evidence of sound fundamental teaching. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:54:58 PM by LoveFVSU »

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »
Well.....let me say this. I am not surprised nor am I disappointed in the hire. It can go either way for me with Charles Jenkins or Kevin Porter. Both are good choices. Both are not HBCU retread. Now, I was happy that they didn't choose Jimmy Dean. That's Pittman 2.0. We've already gotten rid of the big side of beef and don't need another one that coached under him. Porter is a Warner Robins native, a local Middle Georgia guy that played at Auburn. I watched him in the '90s when he coached the Arena 2 league the Macon Knights. He had some of my fellow classmates playing on that team and he had a great record then. He will be able to recruit in the Middle Georgia and in the state in general. But, I am on a wait and see before I can fully support him.

Now, we just need to drop that idiot AD. Had this idiot fired Grimace after the Classic, we wouldn't be in this predicament. He is stupidity realized.

that's all... 

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »

Congrats ..FVSU I honestly believe you'll made a great selection... :clap: :clap:
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:45:12 AM »
I remember when he played.

He will need support.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 06:32:10 AM »
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 08:07:33 AM »
EB, I think he will get the support and not just from alums, but people in Warner Robins and Macon. He's a local guy. I think that works in his favor, but he's going to be under more scrutiny.

Que, I have told you about bringing that thing up. You keep it up. I am going to make sure he gets over there on the HILL in Normal.

that's all... 

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »
Congrats on the new hire Wildcats!! 

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »
I can't wait to see the GOLDEN TIGERS give him an ole fashioned azzz whoopin'!
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News