News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Dr. James Ammons (former NCCU and FAMU Leader) is the NEW Provost at DSU  (Read 1225 times)

Offline BIG GRAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
NCCU 2014, 2015 & 2016 Football MEAC CHAMPS

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
Lord have mercy on the folks at Delaware State.    :no:   :no:    :tiptoe:

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Provost (not president) is the position that he excel at. It's the position he held when FAMU became College of the Year out recruiting Harvard for national merit scholars.

If he's still on his provost game, he'll do well.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Looks like DSU will have a satellite campus somewhere near you.  DSU will now have a killer band.

This recycling of losers has to stop.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Good for Dr. Ammons.  Although I doubt he'll be able to duplicate the successes he's had at NCCU and at FAMU, he should be an effective administrator. 

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Provost (not president) is the position that he excel at. It's the position he held when FAMU became College of the Year out recruiting Harvard for national merit scholars.

:nod:...................concur.

And, soflo, I would also argue that, but for the band member being hazed to death crisis, which left a slew of "casualties" in its wake, Dr. Ammons may have been well on his way to being an effective president as well.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Strike, the only problem I had with him at FAMU is that he allowed his immediate subordinates to wield too much power over the university,  making decisions that he should have been making himself. He literally used them as a buffer between himself and the university support system.

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com

:nod:...................concur.

And, soflo, I would also argue that, but for the band member being hazed to death crisis, which left a slew of "casualties" in its wake, Dr. Ammons may have been well on his way to being an effective president as well.

I concur with all's being said.

Anytime you have a turn of events of that magnitude, they're going after everyone, big and little fish alike!! 
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Strike, the only problem I had with him at FAMU is that he allowed his immediate subordinates to wield too much power over the university,  making decisions that he should have been making himself. He literally used them as a buffer between himself and the university support system.

I don't know the details of your complaint.  With that being said, that's how a large university should work.  The president/chancellor is a fundraiser/visionary; while his/her team should carry the day-to-day responsibilities and execute the vision.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I don't think that Ammons will be leaving Florida.

http://www.hbcudigest.com/report-james-ammons-to-remain-at-famu/

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile

And he wound up taking the heat for some of their decisions when he SHOULD have avoided the problems the problems they created by handling those situations himself.....

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Ammons to remain at FAMU
Byron Dobson, Democrat senior writer 6:16 p.m. EDT July 5, 2016

DSU had announced Ammons's hiring in May

Former Florida A&M University President James Ammons announced Sunday that he will remain as a faculty member rather than accept the position of provost at Delaware State University.

Ammons and his wife, Judith, were expected to be given a send-off by Bethel AME Church’s Pastor Julius McAllister and church members  during its 7:45 a.m. Sunday service, which Ammons and his wife usually attend.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
He wanted them to match his retirement pay which is $325k/yr. They weren't willing.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
That's great news for DSU.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Strike, the only problem I had with him at FAMU is that he allowed his immediate subordinates to wield too much power over the university,  making decisions that he should have been making himself. He literally used them as a buffer between himself and the university support system.

And he wound up taking the heat for some of their decisions when he SHOULD have avoided the problems the problems they created by handling those situations himself.....

The other side of the coin would be 'why hire people in executive positions that you don't trust to execute your vision'?  What you're describing is micro-managing.  No academic professional worth their salt wants to work under that type of leadership.

Leaders know 'the buck stops here'.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:30:50 AM by WileECoyote06 »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News