News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: a&t men's track team "ranked" division 1 top 25 in the country...  (Read 797 times)

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500&ATCLID=210942214

A&T Men's Track and Field Earns National Ranking
Courtesy: NC A&T Sports Information
            Release: 05/09/2016

GREENSBORO (May 9, 2016)  – The United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), the governing body of track and field in the USA, released its latest top-25 NCAA Division I team rankings on Monday with the North Carolina A&T men’s track and field team listed among the top-25 for the first time in program history. They jumped an amazing 71 spots from 92nd to 21st in a week.

N.C. A&T’s top-25 slot puts them higher than some schools from big-named conferences such as South Carolina of the SEC and Kansas and Texas Christian of the Big 12. The Aggies’ previous highest ranking was 48th in 2008. The Aggies are ranked eighth in the USTFCCCA southeast region behind Kentucky, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Louisville and Clemson.

“Our team and staff are excited about our current national and regional rankings,” said director of track and field programs Duane Ross. “We’ve known all season that these guys can compete with anyone in the country at any time. There’s still a lot of competing to do. The goal is the awards podium at the NCAA championships. Once we have that, I’ll celebrate. We don’t want to be the best HBCU track and field team in the country. We want to be the best track and field team in the country…period.”

Mightily assisting in the team’s national ranking were the performances given over the weekend at the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Outdoor Track & Field Championships held at N.C. A&T’s Irwin Belk Track as N.C. A&T broke two MEAC records. The USTFCCCA recognized the top-10 college track & field performance in the country from May 2-8 by reviewing every college track & field contest from all levels (NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, etc.). Thirteen Aggies made the list, and a few received multiple recognition.

Aggie junior Christopher Belcher had the highest rankings. His performances in the 100 and 200 meters were established as the best in the country for the week, as he marked a MEAC record 10.07 and a 20.39 respectively. Moreover, surpassing simply weekend acclamation, Belcher’s performances elevated him nationally. He ranks third in the nation, second in the east region, in the 100. In the 200, he is fifth nationally and fourth in the east.

When disqualifying the times that were wind-aided, Belcher sits at No. 1 in the country in the 100 and No. 2 in the 200. Though times that are aided by the wind (where the wind measures 2.0 meters per second and above) are considered for qualifying times to NCAA regionals and nationals, they do not count toward any form of record breaking times or marks for conferences, regionals, nationals, etc., making Belcher’s performances even more significant.  

“Chris is by far one of the hardest working athletes I’ve ever had. I have to make him take days off from practice,” said Ross. “What makes him so dangerous is that he and I are on the exact same page about how far we want him to go in this sport. He wants it all: the NCAA title, the Olympic trials title, and ultimately the Olympic medal. He’s an absolute joy to coach and watch compete and his future is very bright.”

Over the weekend, Belcher also assisted the 4x100 team in making the USTFCCCA top-10 list. Junior Maurice Eaddy, junior Caleb Gabriel and freshman Rodney Rowe teamed with Belcher to run a MEAC record 39.58 that placed them second in the nation for the week. The 4x100 team is ranked twice among the top-24 teams in the east region. Their 39.58 time has them ranked 11th and their 39.98 time at the Florida Relays (3/31/16) has them ranked 23rd.

Also making the USTFCCCA list for the men was the 4x400 relay team consisting of freshman Justin Hamilton, junior Dorian Claggett, sophomore Corey Aiken, and sophomore Dajuan Harding. The men’s 3:07.67 in the relay put them at third in the country for the week. Harding also had an individual performance rank third in his 46.14 mark in the 400. The last male to make the list was junior Frank Quarles, who won the individual conference title in the men’s long jump over the weekend. In the long jump, Quarles reached 25-feet, 7 ¼-inches in the finals that ranked third and 25-feet, 2-inches in the trials that ranked ninth last week.

As for the women, sophomore India Brown and freshman Kayla White were listed as the top individual performers. USTFCCCA ranked Brown’s times second and fourth in the 100, with her preliminary time of 11.47 and her finals run of 11.50.

Brown was also listed 10th in the in the 200 for her 23.75 sprint in the championships. Brown won MEAC championships in the 100 and 200 over the weekend.

Claiming three individual weekly rankings of her own, White took seventh in the 100 (11.57) and fourth (13.48) and eighth (13.52) in the 100-meter hurdles listings. Her 13.52 helped her win the MEAC title in the 100mh. Brown and White were also ranked together with freshman Yakira Love and sophomore Morgan Knight in the 4x100. The quartet was listed fifth for their 44.96 performance in the event.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:22:42 AM by oleschoolaggie »

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: a&t men's track team "ranked" division 1 top 25 in the country...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
“Our team and staff are excited about our current national and regional rankings,” said director of track and field programs Duane Ross.  We don’t want to be the best HBCU track and field team in the country. We want to be the best track and field team in the country…period.

some of us feel the same way about the celebration bowl...

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:32:21 PM »
I was wondering where ya'll's program ranked in the nation in Track and Field, now I know.  :clap: For several years now, A&T has had some of the fastest men in both football and T&F in all of HBCU sports. Track is one of those sports that don't require huge amounts of funding, just a few go runners. Both A&T and St. Aug. has set the bar high for the rest of us HBCUs in Track and Field.

Good Job AGGIES!

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
NCAA DI Men’s National Rankings Set for Regular Season Finale

One team that has already reaped the rewards of its conference championship weekend was No. 21 North Carolina A&T, which improved a whopping 71 spots from last time with a runner-up MEAC effort. Sprinter Christopher Belcher led the charge with the No. 3 time at 100 meters and the No. 4 mark at 200 meters.
Prior to this weekend, NCA&T had never been ranked higher than 48th – way back in the rankings’ inaugural 2008 season.

http://www.ustfccca.org/2016/05/featured/ncaa-di-mens-national-rankings-set-for-regular-season-finale

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
AGGIE PRIDE!!!

I know the entire Skegee Nation is pulling and rooting for you to do well!!

:clap:   :bow:   :clap:   :bow:

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
N.C. A&T State Men's Track & Field Earns National Rankings

The United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), the governing body of track and field in the USA, released its latest top-25 NCAA Division I team rankings on Monday with the North Carolina A&T State men’s track and field team listed among the top-25 for the first time in program history. They jumped an amazing 71 spots from 92nd to 21st in a week.

N.C. A&T State's top-25 slot puts them higher than some schools from big-named conferences such as South Carolina of the SEC and Kansas and Texas Christian of the Big 12. The Aggies’ previous highest ranking was 48th in 2008. The Aggies are ranked eighth in the USTFCCCA southeast region behind Kentucky, South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Louisville and Clemson.

http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=98137&SPID=12085&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210942224&DB_OEM_ID=20800

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
man, i think this is a big friggin’ deal! this ain’t no “fcs” ranking and this ain’t no “midmajor” basketball ranking! this is “head-to-head” major division 1 track and field ranking along with all of the “big boys”! feels good that an hbcu is right there in the mix with those far better funded bcs schools.

i mean, what other major d1 top 25 team ranking has the meac or swac ever had in men’s sports? i can't think of any, but that doesn't mean it has never happened before, just that i can’t think of any. i'm sure we've had several "individual" top 25 division 1 rankings in the past, but i don't recall any major d1 top 25 "team" rankings in the past...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:17:55 PM by oleschoolaggie »

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
Congratulations to the Aggies.   :nod: :clap:
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Aggie One

• Assistant GM
  • An Original Charter Member of the BDF
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »
We have a lot of lightning fast Aggies in Greensboro. ;)
"When you put a date on your dream, it becomes a goal. When you aim for the goal, it becomes a challenge. When you beat the challenge, the reward is success. To have success... you need a dream..."

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »
if we can just improve the distance area & the field events.....we got something here

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
“Our team and staff are excited about our current national and regional rankings,” said director of track and field programs Duane Ross.  We don’t want to be the best HBCU track and field team in the country. We want to be the best track and field team in the country…period.

some of us feel the same way about the celebration bowl...
Then you should have won like you did in track and field.   I will be glad when ya'll stop with the whining about the CB.  :brickwall:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »
Congrats to Coach Ross and team. Also gotta give props to our AD, Earl Hilton who has really turned around Aggie Athletics. I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before folks start knocking on his door.    :(

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
How did this happened? :shrug:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
How did this happened? :shrug:

Do you remember your hey-days at NCCU, when Dr. Walker was your coach? But do have to admit that NC A&T has been having some very fast kids lately... even on their football team.

But being a RAM, this does kind of make me sick, so I know how you feel.

Aggie Pride  :'(

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:11 AM »
Congrats to the Aggies.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News