News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Vacation cruise  (Read 2195 times)

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Vacation cruise
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:58:52 PM »
...........ok.

Your humble poster realizes that many of you peeps are experienced travelers, indeed many of you have traveled around the world.  Your humble poster's travel experience will be toward the opposite end of that travel continuum, so kindly be patient when I relate just a couple of items from my recently completed FIRST TIME cruise experience.

I was so swamped with work - including clearing my schedule for the 3/27 - 4/3 cruise dates - that I simply had very little time to research the damn thing.  I didn't even start packing for those seven days and nites until 3/26, and it simply never became CLEAR in my mind until around 3/25-26 in what ports were we stopping and what airport, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, that we were flying into. I had to CONTINUOUSLY ask Mrs. Strike those questions, which she answered, but with increasing understandable annoyance.

Anyway, wish I had the benefit of some of you more experienced cruisers BEFORE I headed out on the journey.  Mrs. Strike had been on three previous cruises with girlfriends, family members, etc., but your humble poster always demurred.  Anyway, better preparation would have helped with the following issues:

1) seven days for a first time cruise was a bit too much for me, I would have been better off with a three or four days deal.  About the evening of day 4, I was so miserable that I was damn near LITERALLY in tears.  The site of being on the open seas of the Caribbean every time I exited my stateroom in the mornings was more than a bit disturbing to me.  :(
2) I was NOT prepared for the presence of so many children on that ship, ranging from infants in carriers/strollers to teenagers.  But it was the teenagers presence that caused the most angst for me.  One nite around 1:00am, I go the pizza parlor to get some food, and these kids were running around the ship buckwild.  I guess the parents weren't TOO concerned as where in the hell could these kids go?  We were on the open waters.  :shrug:
3) As predicted, the ports of call - Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, VI, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk on Turks and Caicos - were pretty much tourist scams.  You're basically allowed about 4-5hrs off the ship at each of those ports, which turned out to be more than sufficient time for the merchants waiting on a bunch of idiot tourists to separate you from your hard-earned US currency. Of course, all the white folks looked forward to BOTH on the ship and at these various Caribbean ports was to lay in the sun.  Its something about THEM and their need for sun that I'll never understand.  :shrug:  Did get a chance, however, to actually go into the "hood" on Grand Turk, and the people there were fairly sweet and charming.  But my thought was that we'd rather do business with African descended folks than the large, white controlled companies that owned the shops at those tourists merchant malls.  And, then, what was MOST surprising about the experience was.........
4) the presence of so many negroes on the ship.  I had heard and read that "we" cruise, but experienced it first hand on this trip. It was just my gut feeling that our presence on the ship fairly approximated our presence in the US general population, around 13%.  And there were a total of over 3K paid customers on the ship, along with a staff of around 1K.  And all this time I thought the only time negroes went on cruises was the Tom Joyner deal...............just kidding.  :lol:

There is much more I can say, but I did not intend for this to be a travelogue.  And, AGAIN!, I realize that my recently completed experience is small potatoes for many of you, and that you wouldn't be caught DEAD on any cruise line unless its Viking or something similar.  ::)  I was on Carnival Splendor, btw.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Vacation cruise
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Strike79!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:24:21 PM »
Carnival enough said. Looks Strike up and down.
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
Took my first cruise the week before you went on yours.  It was only a 3 day cruise and I loved it.  We did experience pretty much everything you did in regards to kids, shopping areas, and our Caucasian friends, but it was fun nonetheless.

Not sure I could have done 7 days for my 1st cruise.

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Carnival enough said. Looks Strike up and down.
:lol:........see, it is PRECISELY peeps like you I was referring to when I made all of those oblique references to travel SNOBS!!!

And I guess you wouldn't be caught dead on Southwest either, which is the airline we used to fly to the Miami port.  ::)

Man, negroes are a MESS!!!!  :lol:

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:38:53 PM »
 :lol: Guilty as charged. SW??? J, don't do the Walmart of the skies. Nope, never. 
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Strike79!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:).........don't I ALWAYS, boss?  :lol:

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
:lol: Guilty as charged. SW??? J, don't do the Walmart of the skies. Nope, never. 
::)...........Lord, have mercy.

Whatever......................................................................

;D

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »
I have been on seven day, five day, and four day cruises. I like the five day four nights better.
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
I like to fly into where ever I go now. I use to love cruises until Day day and Mercedes showed up with UnRicky and Ke Me. :lol:
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
I get cranky after 3 days of being away from home. I don't sleep well and can't get comfortable being in unfamiliar surroundings.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
I've been on approximately 4 cruises. I've enjoyed them all.  A floating bar.... how can you beat that.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
Cruises are like buffets - some folks LOVE EM  :hugs:  :nod:

.....and then some folks hate em   >:(  :no:  ::)

It just depends on the destination, the number of days and
the particular cruiseline...yeah, it does make a difference.

AND YES, NEGROES CRUISE...HEAVILY!  ;D

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
On a cruise, I think I'm too phobic to be packed into a floating tin can with thousand of people and allowed to float out in the middle of the ocean for days. I don't even like the idea of breathing recycled air on a plane.  

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »
Capler, you're not "out on the ocean for days" - 1 day at the most and you dock somewhere usally all day, out at sea at nite, next morning, you dock somewhere else. You're not limited to just being out at sea the entire time, there is plenty of on-land time in different docking destinations.

Unlike a plane which is completely closed in, you go out on the deck and get all of the fresh air and space that you want....I would suggest you try a 4-day cruise just for the experience....Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, any of them...EXCEPT Carnival. 

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News