News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney  (Read 8445 times)

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
Re: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »
No, the student-athletes are the ones who matter most in this.  The players love playing in an NBA venue and the conference is making a profit regardless.  So there is no harm in playing in Toyota Center.  The televised championship game will likely be as it has been the last 2 seasons with respectable attendance.

True. But I wonder if you polled those same student athletes about playing in front of empty seats at an NBA arena or playing in front of fans in a D-1 arena, which would be a higher priority. Keep in mind, most if not all, played AAU so they are accustomed to playing in larger venues.

So, in your opinion, what's a respectable attendance for these conference tournament games?  And more importantly, since the conference is profiting from this, what must they do differently to attract more fans and locals to join the fun at an NBA arena?

I seriously doubt anyone, including TSU players, would rather play the tourney at TSU.  

And AAU games are mostly in small gyms.  LOL  Where you been?

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »
At the very least, I think they should move the earlier rounds to a smaller venue. TSU's gym would be an excellent option. To say that there are even a hundred people in the stands at some of those games would be a stretch. Why play those games at the Toyota Center if the arena is only at around 1% capacity? Yes, I get that players like the feeling of playing where the Houston Rockets play...but at what point do all the pictures of an empty arena circulating on social media begin to damage the SWAC brand?

Oops!

Perhaps you missed the "but at what point" part of the question. Again, clearly a hypothetical question and not an assessment of the current state of the SWAC.

Do you mean  like make believe?   Yeah obviously I missed that part.

So how much has  this make believe damage  cost the conference?  And is it real money or monopoly money?

If there is any other make believe damage please elaborate by offering any make believe evidence that you have.

I'm beginning to think I may never get a single word of meaningful discussion out of you and I hate when threads get hijacked by back and forth arguing so I think we may just have to agree to disagree here.

In other words you can't even anewer your own make believe situation

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
I saw that same TJ Ford "elite" team play in a gym with just enough bleachers for about 200 people combined (2 courts).  Most of the Nike EYBL games are regularly played in small high school gyms in front of a couple hundred to 1000 fans at most.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »
I saw that same TJ Ford "elite" team play in a gym with just enough bleachers for about 200 people combined (2 courts).  Most of the Nike EYBL games are regularly played in small high school gyms in front of a couple hundred to 1000 fans at most.

Exactly

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
Well let's try answering a real life situation.  Since ciaa fans travel every year to their tournament event and it's  a well known fact that they generate at least about $55 million that's pump into the economy.

Yet instead of going to the games they hang around partying and making other people rich. Then turn around and complain about folks leaving their neighborhood because they don't want to deal with the congestion.

Why are they still playing in a 20,050 seat arena in front of zero recorded attendance instead of one of the schools gym?

Do you think that they should seriously consider moving the games?

How much damage to their brand do you think they are doing?

The CIAA actually is moving their earlier round games to a smaller venue starting next year.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
At the very least, I think they should move the earlier rounds to a smaller venue. TSU's gym would be an excellent option. To say that there are even a hundred people in the stands at some of those games would be a stretch. Why play those games at the Toyota Center if the arena is only at around 1% capacity? Yes, I get that players like the feeling of playing where the Houston Rockets play...but at what point do all the pictures of an empty arena circulating on social media begin to damage the SWAC brand?

Oops!

Perhaps you missed the "but at what point" part of the question. Again, clearly a hypothetical question and not an assessment of the current state of the SWAC.

Do you mean  like make believe?   Yeah obviously I missed that part.

So how much has  this make believe damage  cost the conference?  And is it real money or monopoly money?

If there is any other make believe damage please elaborate by offering any make believe evidence that you have.

I'm beginning to think I may never get a single word of meaningful discussion out of you and I hate when threads get hijacked by back and forth arguing so I think we may just have to agree to disagree here.

Well let's try answering a real life situation.  Since ciaa fans travel every year to their tournament event and it's  a well known fact that they generate at least about $55 million that's pump into the economy.

Yet instead of going to the games they hang around partying and making other people rich. Then turn around and complain about folks leaving their neighborhood because they don't want to deal with the congestion.

Why are they still playing in a 20,050 seat arena in front of zero recorded attendance instead of one of the schools gym?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »

The CIAA actually is moving their earlier round games to a smaller venue starting next year.

You have a real issue with answering the questions you are actually asked don't  you?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »
Maybe that's what y'all are used to but not my experiences.  Man, y'all tripping. E1T1 and the likes ain't playing in no elementary school, Cracker Jack gym. Most of these teams heavily recruit and bring in the best players from the region to field a mega team. And I seriously doubt TJ Ford gonna have some roody poot team.

Well, I am done. Y'all carry on with them seats filled with make believe fans in them......glad it's profitable for the conference. Onward & upward!!

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »

You have a real issue with answering the questions you are actually asked don't  you?

Your entire post about the CIAA is invalid because they obviously saw enough of a problem with their early week attendance to move it to a smaller venue. I answered the entire post with that one statement.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »

Your entire post about the CIAA is invalid because they obviously saw enough of a problem with their early week attendance to move it to a smaller venue. I answered the entire post with that one statement.

Sure you did bruh. I'm  just making believe that I missed it.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »

Exactly

And what was the avg conference attendance for home games? 1,267 for the entire conference.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
Maybe that's what y'all are used to but not my experiences.  Man, y'all tripping. E1T1 and the likes ain't playing in no elementary school, Cracker Jack gym. Most of these teams heavily recruit and bring in the best players from the region to field a mega team. And I seriously doubt TJ Ford gonna have some roody poot team.

Well, I am done. Y'all carry on with them seats filled with make believe fans in them......glad it's profitable for the conference. Onward & upward!!

I said small high school gym.  Not elementary.  I have not been to any of the tournaments on the East Coast but I know for sure in Houston, Dallas, Vegas, etc they aren't playing in ARENAS on a regular basis.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »

Well, 87 since it's OUR conferences and OUR student athletes.  Doesn't it make sense for us to base our answers on OUR experience and not yours?  ijs

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
Maybe that's what y'all are used to but not my experiences.  Man, y'all tripping. E1T1 and the likes ain't playing in no elementary school, Cracker Jack gym. Most of these teams heavily recruit and bring in the best players from the region to field a mega team. And I seriously doubt TJ Ford gonna have some roody poot team.

I said small high school gym.  Not elementary.  I have not been to any of the tournaments on the East Coast but I know for sure in Houston, Dallas, Vegas, etc they aren't playing in ARENAS on a regular basis.

I fail to comprehend how a money making organization would sponsor a tournament in a 200 capacity gym. I've traveled to see my nephew play in Vegas, Orlando, Indy and LA for his AAU team and trust me, these were high school and college gyms/arenas and your avg cost to enter was $15 and up.  Most of these places sat 2000 and up. AAU is all about making money. They ain't putting on showcase games and events in no 200 seat gym.

And back to my original point, I still say most have played in larger venues more frequently than they will experience the NBA arena. Yet y'all still ducking my question about the players wanting to play in front of fans. But I guess since its your experience to be in empty gyms, then maybe y'all used to it.

Audi 5000 G

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »
Maybe that's what y'all are used to but not my experiences.  Man, y'all tripping. E1T1 and the likes ain't playing in no elementary school, Cracker Jack gym. Most of these teams heavily recruit and bring in the best players from the region to field a mega team. And I seriously doubt TJ Ford gonna have some roody poot team.

I said small high school gym.  Not elementary.  I have not been to any of the tournaments on the East Coast but I know for sure in Houston, Dallas, Vegas, etc they aren't playing in ARENAS on a regular basis.

I fail to comprehend how a money making organization would sponsor a tournament in a 200 capacity gym. I've traveled to see my nephew play in Vegas, Orlando, Indy and LA for his AAU team and trust me, these were high school and college gyms/arenas and your avg cost to enter was $15 and up.  Most of these places sat 2000 and up. AAU is all about making money. They ain't putting on showcase games and events in no 200 seat gym.

And back to my original point, I still say most have played in larger venues more frequently than they will experience the NBA arena. Yet y'all still ducking my question about the players wanting to play in front of fans. But I guess since its your experience to be in empty gyms, then maybe y'all used to it.

Audi 5000 G

Yep!

As for the question if players want to play in front fans. That's  kind of a ridiculous question to ask don't you think?

The real question you should be asking yourself is "Do they seem unhappy playing?" I mean it's  no different  then the ciaa playing in front of a zero recorded attendance is it?

Except that we don't  pump millions of dollars into someone else economy on partying all week and not even support our own, then turn around and complain that the locals don't want to attend.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule