News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney  (Read 6314 times)

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney
« on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »
These are just some of the pics I found on Instagram. Keep in mind that these were all taken during actual games.

I don't know much about the SWAC, but it looks to me like this tournament should take place in somebody's gym and not an NBA arena.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
Re: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »
The Friday and Saturday games usually have good crowds:

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
The Friday and Saturday games usually have good crowds:

I sure hope that trend continues this year. I think it's great that they were able to get John Paul Stevenson to do PA Announcing for the tournament. His voice is truly one of the greatest in all of announcing. People go to Rockets games just to hear his voice.

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »
Should they move from Toyota Center and find a smaller venue ?

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Should they move from Toyota Center and find a smaller venue ?

That's what I was thinking but I believe they may be under contract. Even the Friday and Saturday crowds from last year look like they would fit nicely in a smaller venue.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »
Nope stay there. The players love the venue and Toyota is the sponsor anyway.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:29:40 AM »
These are just some of the pics I found on Instagram. Keep in mind that these were all taken during actual games.

I don't know much about the SWAC, but it looks to me like this tournament should take place in somebody's gym and not an NBA arena.

Why?

What would be the benefit?
BCFNC:1948,49,50,54,60,75,93,95,97,98,03
SWAC Champs: 1937,38,40,46,47,48,49,50,55,59,60,66,75,93,97,98,99,03,13
Bowl Appearances:11 record 8-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »
I was thinking that this week after watching the Texas Southern beatdown of Alabama State last week. Texas Southern has a huge gym. Why not have it there if you want to have it in the city of Houston in the SWAC area?

that's all...   ???

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »
At the very least, I think they should move the earlier rounds to a smaller venue. TSU's gym would be an excellent option. To say that there are even a hundred people in the stands at some of those games would be a stretch. Why play those games at the Toyota Center if the arena is only at around 1% capacity? Yes, I get that players like the feeling of playing where the Houston Rockets play...but at what point do all the pictures of an empty arena circulating on social media begin to damage the SWAC brand?

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 09:12:50 AM »
Maybe you all didn't  hear me. So I'll ask the question again.

Why? 

What would be the benefits of moving the games out of the Toyota Center?

Offline Shelt from Skegee

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
At the very least, I think they should move the earlier rounds to a smaller venue. TSU's gym would be an excellent option. To say that there are even a hundred people in the stands at some of those games would be a stretch. Why play those games at the Toyota Center if the arena is only at around 1% capacity? Yes, I get that players like the feeling of playing where the Houston Rockets play...but at what point do all the pictures of an empty arena circulating on social media begin to damage the SWAC brand?

Bluedog the "benefit" to moving would be to limit the perceived "damage to the SWAC brand" due to all the games in an empty arena and "pictures of an empty arena circulating on social media"

This isn't my opinion (I don't have a dog in the hunt), but I believe that is the gist of the question

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »

Bluedog the "benefit" to moving would be to limit the perceived "damage to the SWAC brand" due to all the games in an empty arena and "pictures of an empty arena circulating on social media"

This isn't my opinion (I don't have a dog in the hunt), but I believe that is the gist of the question

This

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »

This

So how much has  this make believe damage  cost the conference?  And is it real money or monopoly money?

If there is any other make believe damage please elaborate by offering any make believe evidence that you have.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
Interesting,

What was attendance last night

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »

This

So how much has  this make believe damage  cost the conference?  And is it real money or monopoly money?

If there is any other make believe damage please elaborate by offering any make believe evidence that you have.

Clearly this is a sore subject for you. Not one poster has mentioned any financial damage keeping the tournament at the Toyota Center would cause the conference. The pictures I posted are very real, not "make believe." You simply cannot deny that attendance at this year's tournament so far is very poor. Given that fact, I think it's plenty fair to discuss the possibility of moving the tournament to a more appropriately sized venue.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square