News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney  (Read 8442 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 12:37:58 AM »
Not one time did I ever say the SIAC didn't have an attendance problem. I'm probably the single most outspoken critic of the SIAC moving their tournament to Birmingham. Even so, none of that negates any of the points that have been brought up thus far.

And it's not like the SIAC holds their tournament in an 18,000 seat arena so the two situations are more like apples and oranges.

No you didn't say it but you didn't start a thread about it either. How many times did you attend the tournament in Atlanta????? I attended several and you didn't fill up one side of Morehouse and nor are you filling up W.F. Harris.  Empty is empty whether it's 18k empty or 6k empty, whether its an NBA arena or whether its a rec gym.  Actually,  it's apples and cow patties  since you have 5 member schools within a 2 1/2 hour radius.  ::)  Criticism without participation is straight up bulls**t.  If no one made a comment about your empty a**  tournament I'm not sure why you felt obligated to highlight ours.   ::)  You came on another thread talking about why people didn't bring their pep band and cheerleaders when your pep band can travel in a Prius and you don't have expenses the other schools have.  If they did bring them, were you there to see them????  ::)  I get so tired of the crab a**  comments that come up on this freaking board.  Since what we eat don't make you s**t, I'm having a hard time fathoming this faux concern about our tournament.  ::)

By the way the first few games of your tournament there were less than 30 people in attendance so maybe y'all should consider moving to somebody's back yard for the early sessions.

How does anything Claflin University does somehow make anything I've said in this thread untrue? Or for that matter, how does it even apply to the conversation? I can assure you that I don't have any say in any of their doings.

Since you seem to have such a great memory of everything I post, I would expect you to know that I've never had a problem criticizing the SIAC's shenanigans. I worked for the conference for all four tournaments in Atlanta from 2010-2013. I know exactly how slack they are from top to bottom.

I'm not sure where all this butthurt is coming from but it's interesting to me how the only two posters in this thread who have such a problem with what I posted are both indirectly affiliated with the SWAC. This is still a discussion forum isn't it? Or are we no longer alowed to start threads that may hurt someone's feelings?

Please share the salient point of your thread/comments????  So if you start a bulls**t thread you should be prepared for bulls**t responses. ::)  If you worked for the conference I now understand what the problem was in Atlanta. The two of us who you mentioned are allergic to bulls**t thus we responded.  Newsflash: if you were working for the conference you were part of the slackness.

"Allergic to bulls**t" and "not answering the question" are two completely different things. My original post was clear. You choose not to see the point because the subject matter has you in your feelings, I guess. I'll give you credit though. I said I was done with the childish back-and-forth that had nothing to do with the topic of conversation and you've made me go against my word. Shame on me. I'll leave it there though. I think I've gotten about all I'm going to get out of this conversation.

Please save the sanctimonious dribble for someone else.  The only point to be gleaned from this

"These are just some of the pics I found on Instagram. Keep in mind that these were all taken during actual games." and "I don't know much about the SWAC, but it looks to me like this tournament should take place in somebody's gym and not an NBA arena." is shade!!

If you think those two comments would elicit meaningful debate, then you are obviously too stupid to be posting on this board.  ::)
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 12:58:15 AM »
Damn!  :popcorn:

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 01:09:58 AM »
I think the tournament structure is flawed.

On opening day (Tuesday) you have 4 games (2 morning & 2 evening sessions). If you want to attend the second game of the morning session you will have to pay $24 or was it $26 per ticket as if you were attending both games. No exceptions. 

After morning session game 2 is over, the arena is swept removing everyone to go out and pay $24-$26 all over again for the evening session regardless if you desired to stay for one game or both.

Wednesday it was $26/$28 dollars per session.

Thursday $30; Friday even more.

Of course, if you want a pass that covers all games it'll cost you $250 plus.

Yeah they really need to work on that and getting high schools involved more too.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 05:30:50 AM »

On opening day (Tuesday) you have 4 games (2 morning & 2 evening sessions). If you want to attend the second game of the morning session you will have to pay $24 or was it $26 per ticket as if you were attending both games. No exceptions. 

After morning session game 2 is over, the arena is swept removing everyone to go out and pay $24-$26 all over again for the evening session regardless if you desired to stay for one game or both.

You know if you had brought your @zz on this thread with this intelligent, rational response on page 1, you could have cut a lot of this unnecessary snark out.  Be quicker next time :lol:

In reading this thread I don't think colapanther was trying to be condescending or insulting.  At least it didn't appear that way to me.   Perhaps the question could have been phrased differently but I think he was genuinely trying to strike up conversation and used pictures as visuals to make his point.    We have talked as nauseum about the SIAC tournament, the lack of support, and what can be done about it; but that doesn't mean that you can't ask a question about something else.  JMO.

From what I've gathered SWAC people don't think the venue is the issue.  They've got sponsorship in place and they're satisfied - perhaps they have a plan in place to grow the tournament to get butts in the seats during the week (which can be difficult).   I don't think their brand will be "damaged" financially or otherwise by these pics though.  Just means they have room to grow.  :nod:

As far as the SIAC is concerned -  some issues are with leadership and  other issues are cultural. We 'like' basketball but we don't 'love' basketball, and the marketing sucks.   I admit I never attended the tournament while in Atlanta because 1.  It wasn't heavily marketed and I admit I didn't make it a point to find out when it was and 2.  Fighting Atlanta traffic at 5:30 PM after work to go the AU center just didn't appeal to me especially when you have other obligations as well - and taking leave to head to Birmingham is even less appealing.  I'm sure the same can be said for Houston residents. 

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 06:23:04 AM »
I'm not sure who attends the actual games at the CIAA, SIAC, and SWAC tournaments but most of the fans at the MEAC are retires.  The MEAC Tournament is 6 days long.  That is a lot of vacation days.  A book of tickets is also very expensive as well.  The member institutions have to find ways to attract their fans to the games. 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 06:26:34 AM »
?????  Please excuse me, but would someone please cite this elusive question that the dude asked because I don't see it.  :shrug: I quoted his exact post and
i still don't see a question. The title "Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney" set the tone for this thread.  ::)  As far as him being condescending, I am of the opinion that if something quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then its a duck. Unless my reading and comprehension skills have totally dissipated, the first question in this thread was DES.  :shrug:  Like someone said folks have the right to post as they feel and please note I have the right to respond as I feel. In any case I've said what I wanted to say so I'm done.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:47:14 AM by Que82 »
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
?????  Please excuse me, but would someone please cite this elusive question that the dude asked because I don't see it.  :shrug: I quoted his exact post and
i still don't see a question. The title "Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney" set the tone for this thread.  ::)  As far as him being condescending, I am of the opinion that if something quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then its a duck. Unless my reading and comprehension skills have totally dissipated, the first question in this thread was DES.  :shrug:  Like someone said folks have the right to post as they feel and please note I have the right to respond as I feel. In any case I've said what I wanted to say so I'm done.

You sound a little perturbed.  Why?   If you think he was condescending that's your right.  I don't think he was, but you see it differently and that's ok.  Your reading comprehension skills aren't in question.

If your confusion is about the word 'question', please allow me to restate my comment and say 'topic' or 'statement'.  Perhaps his STATEMENT could have been phrased differently.   All I know is he mentioned something about damaging the SWAC brand - it was a topic of conversation, not shade throwing. At least not to me.

All of us have room for improvement - making a statement and calling it out aren't necessarily bad :shrug:

With that being said, it is what it is.  Hopefully the powers that be will figure all of it out.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:56:35 AM by Valley Girl »

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »
Attendance at the 8:30 pm SIAC semi-finals: 1004.

Attendance at the 8:30 pm SWAC semi-finals:1022.

As I said, we are equals. And I repeat, I enjoyed the basketball at SIAC tournament.

Offline hbcu

• Assistant GM
  • Smoke'em, if you got one. Don't ask me for none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
Well fellas, it looks as if the SIAC, SWAC along with the MEAC are having attendance problems.  Well the CIAA has too many parties but better numbers than your tournaments.  People can't party if they don't come to your tournaments.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
Well fellas, it looks as if the SIAC, SWAC along with the MEAC are having attendance problems.  Well the CIAA has too many parties but better numbers than your tournaments.  People can't party if they don't come to your tournaments.

LOL!!! The MEAC is doing fine.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »

Yeah they really need to work on that and getting high schools involved more too.
Tough this week with the weather and the fact that it isn't during spring break this year as it was last year and the previous year.  I expect Friday and Saturday numbers to look much much better.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »

The fact that he kept avoiding my three direct and simple questions "Why?" "What the benefits?" and "What damage?"  made it clear he was being disingenuous. 

How can you make a genuine  observation of something but when asked to give your opinion have none at all?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »

Actually the ciaa has recorded zero attendance in all their games this year..

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline hbcu

• Assistant GM
  • Smoke'em, if you got one. Don't ask me for none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
Bluedog, don't trust what you being smoking.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2016, 12:56:44 PM »

Tough this week with the weather and the fact that it isn't during spring break this year as it was last year and the previous year.  I expect Friday and Saturday numbers to look much much better.

Question:

When are the TX High School Basketball Championships?   It might not be a huge factor, but if they are going on at the same time it might eat into the attendance some as well. 

Another reason I didn't attend the SIAC tournaments is because I was at the GHSA Semi Finals and Finals.  It was kind of a tradition that my dad and I established and I kept it going after he died.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule