News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Attendance So Far At SWAC Tourney
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
These are just some of the pics I found on Instagram. Keep in mind that these were all taken during actual games.

I don't know much about the SWAC, but it looks to me like this tournament should take place in somebody's gym and not an NBA arena.

Pot, you are absolutely correct!  Where should this be played????

Signed

Kettle

::)  :tiptoe:
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
In my opinion on a discussion on BB tournament attendance, posters from the SIAC should be   :shrug: :tiptoe:
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
Not one time did I ever say the SIAC didn't have an attendance problem. I'm probably the single most outspoken critic of the SIAC moving their tournament to Birmingham. Even so, none of that negates any of the points that have been brought up thus far.

And it's not like the SIAC holds their tournament in an 18,000 seat arena so the two situations are more like apples and oranges.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 04:40:05 PM »
But seriously, I said from day 1 that moving the SIAC Tourney back to Birmingham was the absolute dumbest decision ever. At least people actually want to go to Houston. No one ever goes to Birmingham unless they're being forced to....but that's neither here nor there.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

Maybe that's what y'all are used to but not my experiences.  Man, y'all tripping. E1T1 and the likes ain't playing in no elementary school, Cracker Jack gym. Most of these teams heavily recruit and bring in the best players from the region to field a mega team. And I seriously doubt TJ Ford gonna have some roody poot team. 

Well, I am done. Y'all carry on with them seats filled with make believe fans in them......glad it's profitable for the conference. Onward & upward!!

I said small high school gym.  Not elementary.  I have not been to any of the tournaments on the East Coast but I know for sure in Houston, Dallas, Vegas, etc they aren't playing in ARENAS on a regular basis.

I fail to comprehend how a money making organization would sponsor a tournament in a 200 capacity gym. I've traveled to see my nephew play in Vegas, Orlando, Indy and LA for his AAU team and trust me, these were high school and college gyms/arenas and your avg cost to enter was $15 and up.  Most of these places sat 2000 and up. AAU is all about making money. They ain't putting on showcase games and events in no 200 seat gym. 

And back to my original point, I still say most have played in larger venues more frequently than they will experience the NBA arena. Yet y'all still ducking my question about the players wanting to play in front of fans. But I guess since its your experience to be in empty gyms, then maybe y'all used to it. 

Audi 5000 G

You said arenas.  Arenas don't seat just 2000 people. But for example... Nike ends their EYBL season at the Peach Jam.  The facility they use seats a COMBINED 1,200 people on 2 courts.  Basically 600/court.  This is for the very best players on the summer circuit.  The Andrew Wiggins, Ben Simmons, DeAngelo Russells, and Malik Monks of the world.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 06:35:51 PM »
I could not find anything on the hometown Texas Southern University game at 8pm. But attendance of the 3pm game of 339 yesterday would very much put the SWAC in the SIAC category.  So I guess that you can say that the SIAC  is competitive with the SWAC.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »
I could not find anything on the hometown Texas Southern University game at 8pm. But attendance of the 3pm game of 339 yesterday would very much put the SWAC in the SIAC category.  So I guess that you can say that the SIAC  is competitive with the SWAC.

Talk about being all in the kool-aid and not knowing the flavor.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
I've enjoyed reading this thread.

The SWAC is like most conference tournaments.  The arenas aren't full.  This week you will see conference championship games in smaller venues with 10% or less occupancy.  I think it's asking too much of a conference to have  sellouts at the conference tournaments.  
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »
Not one time did I ever say the SIAC didn't have an attendance problem. I'm probably the single most outspoken critic of the SIAC moving their tournament to Birmingham. Even so, none of that negates any of the points that have been brought up thus far.

And it's not like the SIAC holds their tournament in an 18,000 seat arena so the two situations are more like apples and oranges.

No you didn't say it but you didn't start a thread about it either. How many times did you attend the tournament in Atlanta????? I attended several and you didn't fill up one side of Morehouse and nor are you filling up W.F. Harris.  Empty is empty whether it's 18k empty or 6k empty, whether its an NBA arena or whether its a rec gym.  Actually,  it's apples and cow patties  since you have 5 member schools within a 2 1/2 hour radius.  ::)  Criticism without participation is straight up bulls**t.  If no one made a comment about your empty a**  tournament I'm not sure why you felt obligated to highlight ours.   ::)  You came on another thread talking about why people didn't bring their pep band and cheerleaders when your pep band can travel in a Prius and you don't have expenses the other schools have.  If they did bring them, were you there to see them????  ::)  I get so tired of the crab a**  comments that come up on this freaking board.  Since what we eat don't make you s**t, I'm having a hard time fathoming this faux concern about our tournament.  ::)

By the way the first few games of your tournament there were less than 30 people in attendance so maybe y'all should consider moving to somebody's back yard for the early sessions.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:41:01 PM by Que82 »

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:36 PM »

Your first few games each day had less than 30 people, 33 when Claflin's pep band showed up. :shrug:

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »

Your first few games each day had less than 30 people, 33 when Claflin's pep band showed up. :shrug:

:lmao:

Did Skegee bring the beat-down crew for the women's game?

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »

No you didn't say it but you didn't start a thread about it either. How many times did you attend the tournament in Atlanta????? I attended several and you didn't fill up one side of Morehouse and nor are you filling up W.F. Harris.  Empty is empty whether it's 18k empty or 6k empty, whether its an NBA arena or whether its a rec gym.  Actually,  it's apples and cow patties  since you have 5 member schools within a 2 1/2 hour radius.  ::)  Criticism without participation is straight up bulls**t.  If no one made a comment about your empty a**  tournament I'm not sure why you felt obligated to highlight ours.   ::)  You came on another thread talking about why people didn't bring their pep band and cheerleaders when your pep band can travel in a Prius and you don't have expenses the other schools have.  If they did bring them, were you there to see them????  ::)  I get so tired of the crab a**  comments that come up on this freaking board.  Since what we eat don't make you s**t, I'm having a hard time fathoming this faux concern about our tournament.  ::)

By the way the first few games of your tournament there were less than 30 people in attendance so maybe y'all should consider moving to somebody's back yard for the early sessions.

How does anything Claflin University does somehow make anything I've said in this thread untrue? Or for that matter, how does it even apply to the conversation? I can assure you that I don't have any say in any of their doings.

Since you seem to have such a great memory of everything I post, I would expect you to know that I've never had a problem criticizing the SIAC's shenanigans. I worked for the conference for all four tournaments in Atlanta from 2010-2013. I know exactly how slack they are from top to bottom.

I'm not sure where all this butthurt is coming from but it's interesting to me how the only two posters in this thread who have such a problem with what I posted are both indirectly affiliated with the SWAC. This is still a discussion forum isn't it? Or are we no longer alowed to start threads that may hurt someone's feelings?

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »

How does anything Claflin University does somehow make anything I've said in this thread untrue? Or for that matter, how does it even apply to the conversation? I can assure you that I don't have any say in any of their doings.

Since you seem to have such a great memory of everything I post, I would expect you to know that I've never had a problem criticizing the SIAC's shenanigans. I worked for the conference for all four tournaments in Atlanta from 2010-2013. I know exactly how slack they are from top to bottom.

I'm not sure where all this butthurt is coming from but it's interesting to me how the only two posters in this thread who have such a problem with what I posted are both indirectly affiliated with the SWAC. This is still a discussion forum isn't it? Or are we no longer alowed to start threads that may hurt someone's feelings?

Please share the salient point of your thread/comments????  So if you start a bulls**t thread you should be prepared for bulls**t responses. ::)  If you worked for the conference I now understand what the problem was in Atlanta. The two of us who you mentioned are allergic to bulls**t thus we responded.  Newsflash: if you were working for the conference you were part of the slackness.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »

Please share the salient point of your thread/comments????  So if you start a bulls**t thread you should be prepared for bulls**t responses. ::)  If you worked for the conference I now understand what the problem was in Atlanta. The two of us who you mentioned are allergic to bulls**t thus we responded.  Newsflash: if you were working for the conference you were part of the slackness.

"Allergic to bulls**t" and "not answering the question" are two completely different things. My original post was clear. You choose not to see the point because the subject matter has you in your feelings, I guess. I'll give you credit though. I said I was done with the childish back-and-forth that had nothing to do with the topic of conversation and you've made me go against my word. Shame on me. I'll leave it there though. I think I've gotten about all I'm going to get out of this conversation.

Offline CLeB-28

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tsunaa.com
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »
I think the tournament structure is flawed.

On opening day (Tuesday) you have 4 games (2 morning & 2 evening sessions). If you want to attend the second game of the morning session you will have to pay $24 or was it $26 per ticket as if you were attending both games. No exceptions. 

After morning session game 2 is over, the arena is swept removing everyone to go out and pay $24-$26 all over again for the evening session regardless if you desired to stay for one game or both.

Wednesday it was $26/$28 dollars per session.

Thursday $30; Friday even more.

Of course, if you want a pass that covers all games it'll cost you $250 plus.
Sea Sick... Waterbound... Can‘t Swim... About to Drown... In the OCEAN!!!  What!!! What!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule