News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: SIAC Tourney Bands & Cheerleaders  (Read 2079 times)

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
SIAC Tourney Bands & Cheerleaders
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »
Why is it that so many SIAC schools never bother to bring their band and/or cheerleaders to the basketball tournament? This isn't a problem at the MEAC, SAWC, and CIAA tournaments. This is a BIG part of why SIAC tournaments are so dry.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: SIAC Tourney Bands & Cheerleaders
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:54:06 AM »
No one has the budget to do so. Yes, I would like for each school to bring their band, but realistically the budget is not there for it. The funds need to be available once football is over to basketball for the tourney. I don't see that happening.

that's all...

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
No one has the budget to do so. Yes, I would like for each school to bring their band, but realistically the budget is not there for it. The funds need to be available once football is over to basketball for the tourney. I don't see that happening.

that's all...

Even if that were the issue, it doesn't explain why Miles didn't bring their band for this year's tournament or why Morehouse never bothered to have their band play at the tournament when it was in their own gym. And why isn't this ever a problem with the other HBCU conferences?

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
I am surprised MILLS didn't bring their band. The many times the tourney has been in Fair Park their band has been there. There has been only a couple of bands on record during the times I have gone to  the tourney. Tuskegee, MILLS, Stillman are the consistent ones. I have seen my alma mater when the tourney was in Albany, Albany State of course, Clark Atlanta, and Kentucky State there. A lot of time they just don't budget for it. I know in the past they tried to force the schools to bring both or get receive a fine, if I am not mistaken.

that's all...

Offline ASUALum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
Basically, it boils down to this... the SIAC is a football conference! That's where most of the money is generated... Yes, other sports are also affiliated with the conference, but when it's all said and done, the SIAC only cares about one thing.. FOOTBALL!!! So to answer your question, budgets are for football only... :lol: :lol:
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
"Detrimental" Delta Xi

"Excuses are tools of incompetence, used to build monuments of nothingness and those who specialize in them will never succeed"

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »
So is there anything the conference can do to "encourage" schools to invest more in the basketball tournament? I mean it's bad enough that some schools bring close to 0 fans. That plus no band or even cheerleaders can make for some incredibly boring tournament games.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »
Hold up, no cheerleaders?  Out em....put that school on blast

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
I know when the tournament was in Atlanta, Lane and LOC rarely brought their cheerleaders. I didn't attend this year's tournament, but I understand that CAU and Morehouse didn't bring their cheerleaders.

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
We didn't bring our Cheerleaders and Band because we knew we wouldn't have anything to cheer for..... :tiptoe:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • BEWARE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
 :shrug: Do folks really wanna see OUR band? 

Cheerleaders? Yes.

Mahogany-n-Motion? Heyal Yes  ;D

Morehouse Band?   :no:

However, I DO get your point of asking the question

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
Hey JT -

Where y'all get cheerleaders from? Spelman?

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • BEWARE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
Hey JT -

Where y'all get cheerleaders from? Spelman?

Yessir, Spelman College.

Offline dragon601713

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »
Lane's cheerleaders were there this year.
LC!! YOU KNOW!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »
We didn't bring our Cheerleaders and Band because we knew we wouldn't have anything to cheer for..... :tiptoe:
????

:shrug:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
????

:shrug:

Q, Not talking about the Cheerleaders. Speaking of the team. Got beat in the first round. Most people are excited if their teams have been winning all season and have a real chance to go far in the playoffs. Nobody expected the G-Rams to go anywhere. Our basketball teams haven't  been exciting to watch in years. Especially the Men's team. Our women made a run a year or two ago.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News