News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: The movie Race - the Jesse Owens story  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The movie Race - the Jesse Owens story
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:00:39 PM »
???..........uhhh, is there a reason why none of you guys have started a thread about this movie?  Well, if there IS a reason, it damn sure better be a good one because this was a TERRIFIC movie.  Enjoyed it immensely.  :clap:

Many, if not most, of you know the basic story of Jesse Owens, the black track sensation at Ohio State who competed in the 1936 Berlin Olympic games that was supposed to showcase Hitler and the Nazis theory of the superiority of the aryan (white) race.  Well JO shattered that "theory" by winning four gold medals.  So that's the basic outline of what many of you may have learned in your high school history classes.

But there is a WHOLE LOT MORE to the story, including a full and rich backstory, and I could not commend this movie more to your guys.

Negroes have been whining and complaining about our exclusion from the Oscar nominations, so here is an opportunity to see a movie that celebrates US!!!!!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The movie Race - the Jesse Owens story
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
The frat is pushing this hard. I passed because the actor was the only thing Black in the film. All white production, director etc equates to a whitewashed film.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:08:16 PM »
The frat is pushing this hard. I passed because the actor was the only thing Black in the film. All white production, director etc equates to a whitewashed film.

:clap:

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »
*sigh*.....................Ok, here we go............  :(

Bison, similarly to the concerns raised about black folks IN FRONT OF the camera, I suppose we ought to be concerned about blacks BEHIND the camera as well.  And, if I'm not mistaken, the young brutha portraying JO is actually Canadian.

Nonetheless, are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that American negro movie patrons should refrain from seeing an uplifting and positive story about a black American icon, even when done well and accurately, SOLELY BECAUSE of a dearth of black Americans involved with the movie?  :shrug:

This all sounds eerily similar to the objection of Steven Spielberg (sp?) directing The Color Purple, and negroes hollering and screaming about a white/Jewish man directing Alice Walker's book.  That movie is now an ABSOLUTE classic.

Look, I'm neither inclined nor interested in a protracted, SENSELESS debate on this.  Go see the damn movie and reserve the other arguments for another time.

Lord, Jesus Christ:no:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
*sigh*.....................Ok, here we go............  :(

Bison, similarly to the concerns raised about black folks IN FRONT OF the camera, I suppose we ought to be concerned about blacks BEHIND the camera as well.  And, if I'm not mistaken, the young brutha portraying JO is actually Canadian.

Nonetheless, are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that American negro movie patrons should refrain from seeing an uplifting and positive story about a black American icon, even when done well and accurately, SOLELY BECAUSE of a dearth of black Americans involved with the movie?  :shrug:

This all sounds eerily similar to the objection of Steven Spielberg (sp?) directing The Color Purple, and negroes hollering and screaming about a white/Jewish man directing Alice Walker's book.  That movie is now an ABSOLUTE classic.

Look, I'm neither inclined nor interested in a protracted, SENSELESS debate on this.  Go see the damn movie and reserve the other arguments for another time.

Lord, Jesus Christ.  :no:

I gave the reason I passed on it.
To many of these bio-pics with Black subject matter wither on the vine because studios insist on a white protagonist / actor on the myth that a Black lead can't draw. . See Don Cheadle on his Miles Davis film.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:15:04 PM by Bison 4 Life »

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
..........^^^^^^ok, well, just wait for Spike Lee's version of the Jesse Owens story.  It'll likely include a scene with Spike making a cameo apperance, chilling with der Fuhrer while they and the other Nazi officials watch JO break all of those records.  ::)

Whatever..........................................................................................

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
The commercials turned me off from the jump.

I saw clips of the actor portraying Jesse speaking in a southern black accent... in other words, like he did not have complete command of the English language.

In fact, Jesse Owens PRIDED himself in his ability to speak the Queens English with NO slang, affectations, or vocal indication of his race by speech.

Watch ANY video of him and you will see EXACTLY what I mean.

I assume that the movie trailer was designed to show the actor, "speaking black" in an attempt to play into the majority audience's stereotype of their view of African Americans.

Not sure if this was the case throughout the movie... but that introduction was enough to turn me off.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »
BTW, there was not ONE single good or decent black man in the movie, The Color Purple. In fact, there wasn't a decent man in the entire book... which was MY objection to the movie.

It was a HORRIBLE example of African American literature to turn into a movie. In fact, it was the most misandrist book I have ever read... and example of Walkers life-long agenda to degrade men in general and black men in particular.

It NEVER should have been made a movie.  :nono2:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »
..........^^^^^^ok, well, just wait for Spike Lee's version of the Jesse Owens story.  It'll likely include a scene with Spike making a cameo apperance, chilling with der Fuhrer while they and the other Nazi officials watch JO break all of those records.  ::)

Whatever..........................................................................................

Owens is a backstory in this film from what I've read. Mostly about the white track coach. More of a drama vehicle for Jason Sueidekis

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
 :no:..............^^^^^^^^Et tu, Cholly?

You're not interested in watching the movie because the man spoke with a Southern negro dialect?  His family were dirt poor SHARECROPPERS who moved to Cleveland from rural, God-forsaken Alabama when this boy was nine years old.  His accent was so THICK that when the classroom roll was called in Cleveland, he answered "JC" which is the name his family called him, but the teacher thought she heard "Jesse," the name that stuck through history.

So, no, this boy did not sound like, say, Idris Elba.  But, hey, if y'all want to dwell in the trivial as excuses for not watching this fine piece of cinema, then just stay home, and watch the Oscars this upcoming Sunday nite.  And then enjoy yourself laughing at Chris Rock's LAME jokes trying to make white folks feel guilty about doing what white folks ALWAYS do, and that's shyttin on black folks.  ::)

Oh, well, I'm done.  This board used to be a place of "enlightenment".  Somewhere deterioration set in, and your humble poster is now caught unawares.  :shrug:

I'm OUT!!!!

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »

Owens is a backstory in this film from what I've read. Mostly about the white track coach. More of a drama vehicle for Jason Sueidekis
???............no disrespect, but the question has to be asked, What EXACTLY have you READ, boss?  Nonetheless, I've SEEN the damn film, and the JO character is the MAIN protagonist.  I don't have to rely on what I may have "read".  :shrug:

I am shaking my head in UTTER disbelief that peeps who are normally in tuned and knowledgeable about shyt, are now offering "analysis" similar to that which can be heard at your average, corner negro barbershop.  :no:

What the hell is going on with this board?  :shrug:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »

???............no disrespect, but the question has to be asked, What EXACTLY have you READ, boss?  Nonetheless, I've SEEN the damn film, and the JO character is the MAIN protagonist.  I don't have to rely on what I may have "read".  :shrug:

I am shaking my head in UTTER disbelief that peeps who are normally in tuned and knowledgeable about shyt, are now offering "analysis" similar to that which can be heard at your average, corner negro barbershop.  :no:

What the hell is going on with this board?  :shrug:

Why are you so thin skinned today?  :shrug:So we disagree on a movie. You know how easy it is to see a movie? I now rarely see films in the theater. I have associates who are podcasters and bloggers who see two or three films per week for their shows.They beg me to see screenings with them and I beg off. Just don't care to see  movies in theaters anymore.
 They saw the "Race" weeks if not months ago and gave me the dime on it  early. I just was not interested in seeing it in the theater.Thats how I heard about it. Plus I can "see" a film without leaving the house.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:43:53 PM »
Strike79,

I read a review of the movie in a Sunday's newspaper and it more along the line you discussed in your first post.  It's not on my list to go see, but will get it for Netflix.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:44:49 AM »

You're not interested in watching the movie because the man spoke with a Southern negro dialect?  His family were dirt poor SHARECROPPERS who moved to Cleveland from rural, God-forsaken Alabama when this boy was nine years old.  His accent was so THICK that when the classroom roll was called in Cleveland, he answered "JC" which is the name his family called him, but the teacher thought she heard "Jesse," the name that stuck through history.

So, no, this boy did not sound like, say, Idris Elba.  But, hey, if y'all want to dwell in the trivial as excuses for not watching this fine piece of cinema, then just stay home, and watch the Oscars this upcoming Sunday nite.  And then enjoy yourself laughing at Chris Rock's LAME jokes trying to make white folks feel guilty about doing what white folks ALWAYS do, and that's shyttin on black folks.  ::)

Oh, well, I'm done.  This board used to be a place of "enlightenment".  Somewhere deterioration set in, and your humble poster is now caught unawares.  :shrug:

I'm OUT!!!!

What did you expect from someone whose favorite TV shows are overwhelmingly white, produced by whites, written by whites, and everything white.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

^^^This is why he took such PAINS to speak grammatically correct, accent free English.  :nod:

He was overcoming his background.

And I can HONESTLY say that the commercials DID turn me off because of the reasons stated above.

Now... having SEEN the movie... in you honest opinion, DID Hollywood make him sound "ignorant" for the sake of being "Hollywood"? Did that Canadian actor affect a southern black dialect for the sake of making the white audience feel comfortable with a star who "acted" like what their minds said he should act like?

Curious to know....

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News