News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: The movie Race - the Jesse Owens story  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: The movie Race - the Jesse Owens story
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Hollywood makes me sick. With all the black American born actors out there, they continue to choose foreign blacks. What exactly are they trying to say? I even have issues with the white washing of blacks ABC does on Thursdays. Apparently it's ok to do a little black, but don't get too black otherwise it will turn white folk off.  >:(

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:23:13 PM »
Hollywood makes me sick. With all the black American born actors out there, they continue to choose foreign blacks. What exactly are they trying to say? I even have issues with the white washing of blacks ABC does on Thursdays. Apparently it's ok to do a little black, but don't get too black otherwise it will turn white folk off.  >:(

http://flavorwire.com/561818/how-a-bunch-of-white-people-screwed-up-jesse-owens-story-in-race

Article only confirms my fears from just the commercials alone.

Offline stephen

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »
I saw Race over the weekend and thought it was...okay.  I would definitely mandate it as viewing for young folk and those who might not know, but I can't honestly say I was moved by the film.  Happy to support but no rave reviews...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »

http://flavorwire.com/561818/how-a-bunch-of-white-people-screwed-up-jesse-owens-story-in-race

Article only confirms my fears from just the commercials alone.

The article complained about a white director & screenwriter.  So, they didn't chose the black director & screenwriter's version?
It's rhetorical .......

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »
I saw the movie today. It was commissioned by the Quebec Film Commission and shot in Montreal and Germany. That probably explains the selection of a Canadian actor. It appears to have been a Canadian film on a American subject. I have no objection to speech of the black personalities in the film. What I object to is the fake ghetto or southern black dialects of American actors.  I think the are
playing to the masses when they know better.

I thought that the early scenes portrayed well the 20 per cent unemployment that existed in the US at the time, even if it was overplayed. I also question whether Jesse Owens and other black students wore shirt and ties every day at The Ohio State University. Worse still was the portrayal of Dr. Joseph Goebbels. He had a club foot and walked with a limp. I have never seen a photo of him when he was not smiling and wearing a Nazi uniform. However, I enjoyed the movie,

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:31 PM »
Question:

DID the actor portraying Jesse Owen affect a southern "black" accent?

Because IF he did, then that was NOT an accurate account of the WAY Mr. Owens spoke. There is PLENTY of documentation to verify this fact... which means that affectation was for reasons OTHER than a realistic portrayal of this stage of the man's life.

THAT is something I have a problem with.

Secondly... yes; students in general wore shirts and ties in college, in some places, up until the 1970's.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 11:33:38 PM »
No they did not have southern black accents.  In this movie the white OSU students did not have on shirts and ties.  I do not think that this was a daily standard on American college campuses anywhere then or in the 1970's. Yes Mr. Owens spoke very well.  In one TV feature on him later in life, I heard him say that in that parade in New York City, someone handed him a paper bag containing $10,000 and he never knew who it came from. Can you imagine what $10,000 was like then?

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »
Question:

DID the actor portraying Jesse Owen affect a southern "black" accent?

Because IF he did, then that was NOT an accurate account of the WAY Mr. Owens spoke. There is PLENTY of documentation to verify this fact... which means that affectation was for reasons OTHER than a realistic portrayal of this stage of the man's life.

THAT is something I have a problem with.

Secondly... yes; students in general wore shirts and ties in college, in some places, up until the 1970's.
???...........Cholly, as best I recall, the actor portraying JO did NOT affect a southern black accent. But neither was his accent British either. Nonetheless, the more SALIENT question for  THIS poster is why are you stuck on the speech of Owens as portrayed in the movie? You seem OBSESSED with this ONE aspect of the movie. I think EACH of your posts on this thread references the issue.  It's beginning to sound a tad "personal" for you.

Please explain.  :shrug:

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
Frat, reference my first post.  :nod:

Additionally, let me REEMPHASIZE that I have NOT seen the movie personally, so lacking a first-hand account from those who have, my initial impression was the only criterion from which I could judge.

Now that the issue has been cleared, I feel much better.  :nod:

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 06:49:36 AM »
No they did not have southern black accents.  In this movie the white OSU students did not have on shirts and ties.  I do not think that this was a daily standard on American college campuses anywhere then or in the 1970's. Yes Mr. Owens spoke very well.  In one TV feature on him later in life, I heard him say that in that parade in New York City, someone handed him a paper bag containing $10,000 and he never knew who it came from. Can you imagine what $10,000 was like then?

As stated above, my fears have been allayed.

As a point of interest, black male college students DID wear shirt and tie every day until relatively recently... that is, the late 1960's. And not just at HBCU's where dress codes were in place and rigidly enforced.  ;) 

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »
Cholly I think that you are very wrong on this. When I was supposed to be looking for books in the stacks at the old Atlanta university library, I use to look at old HBCU year books including some going back to the 19th century. I remember the very first ever Fisk University yearbook. From the photos of the students, I originally thought it was a white school. I was really looking for the sports sections. I remember a photo of future Howard University President Moredici W. Johnson as a Morehouse quarterback in about 1910 and a half page photo of my uncle as a "All Southern" Center at Morehouse years following the Owens age at Ohio State University.

They were a elite then and they dressed for the times. I don't think that they needed either dress or behavior codes. I believe that these came later after the "hippie and black Power days of the 1960's and 1970's. I do not blame the Canadian producers for not getting into the nuances of U.S. black culture. I am willing to give the producers a pass for that. But I don't believe that we went to campus anywhere wearing broad brim hats, sport coats and ties.

The only thing that I really question about the movie is the portrayal of Dr. Joseph Goebbels. Hinnrich Himmler was the one who was never seen smiling. It was him that they appeared to be portraying.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Teeny and I are going to see it this weekend... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
Cholly I think that you are very wrong on this. When I was supposed to be looking for books in the stacks at the old Atlanta university library, I use to look at old HBCU year books including some going back to the 19th century. I remember the very first ever Fisk University yearbook. From the photos of the students, I originally thought it was a white school. I was really looking for the sports sections. I remember a photo of future Howard University President Moredici W. Johnson as a Morehouse quarterback in about 1910 and a half page photo of my uncle as a "All Southern" Center at Morehouse years following the Owens age at Ohio State University.

They were a elite then and they dressed for the times. I don't think that they needed either dress or behavior codes. I believe that these came later after the "hippie and black Power days of the 1960's and 1970's. I do not blame the Canadian producers for not getting into the nuances of U.S. black culture. I am willing to give the producers a pass for that. But I don't believe that we went to campus anywhere wearing broad brim hats, sport coats and ties.

The only thing that I really question about the movie is the portrayal of Dr. Joseph Goebbels. Hinnrich Himmler was the one who was never seen smiling. It was him that they appeared to be portraying.
:shrug:.............ncsiac, uhhhh, bruh, no disrespect, but why do you keep HARPING on how Goebbels, Hitler's propaganda chief, was portrayed in the  movie?  ALL of those top Nazi characters were tough, despicable folks, carrying out Hitler's policies of racial genocide against non-Aryan Germans and others.  So what DIFFERENCE does it make that Goebbels "smiles" in the movie?  This movie was about JO and his participation in the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games.  What was happening in Nazi Germany at the time is definitely essential to understanding Jesse's and the other American athletes travails in those games.  Its an essential backdrop, but NOT the main story of the movie.  :shrug:

But to OBSESS about whether Goebbels smiles, whether negro college men wore coat and tie to classes, and what kind of accent JO may or may not have had seems to me to revel in absolute MINUTIAE that does not impact the thesis of this movie in ANY way. :shrug:

Man, oh man, I just mentioned to Capler in another thread that I was ok now about all the MESS being spouted on THIS thread about this movie.  Obviously, that was a lie cuz y'all are making a brutha's blood pressure rise, and I've been taking medication for that for some 20 years or so now.  So I'll just take my FINAL leave of this thread and be DONE with it cuz I'm tired of responding to all of this BULLSHYT!!!!  >:(

There is a balm in Gilead.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »
...to heal the sin sick soul.

Teeny and Little

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 05:44:11 PM »
I am not obsessing over anything. Nor do I think that anything that I said can be interpreted that way. I was questioned about my interpretation of the historical accuracy of black campus decorum and dress and that is what I responded to.

I do wonder how they made a larger error with the portrayal of a Nazi official. As Himmler ran the death camps, I assume that there was a reason.  Of most importance, he was a white man like them.
So I thought that it made a good analogy.

The movie was good, but not perfect.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News