News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: "Why Hillary Clinton does not deserve the Black vote" by Michelle Alexander  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Re: "Why Hillary Clinton does not deserve the Black vote" by Michelle Alexander
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
I don't think blacks should just fall for "it is the Democrats and nothing else".   We have to face the Republicans and fight, and we do it locally and state-wide, first.

Our ancestors and great-great grand parents only had a couple allies in either party but they went after both, pushing and forcing and fighting for their rights.  The strategy of only working with one political party in these current times will only mean incremental positive changes, on occasion.

There is nothing to "fall for," Aggie.

Even Black Republicans admit that the GOP has offered very little to Black folks to gain our support since the 70's.....................

That would be the 1870's when they turned around and stabbed Black folks in the back.

As always, we have a choice between two parties NEITHER OF WHICH has our best interest at heart.  But one of them, since the 1970's, has consistently courted the votes of those who straight up oppose our agenda of opportunity, voting rights and ending discrimination.

O0

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
The  Black community needs its version of the Tea Party to move the political narrative. Black Lives Matter is not that vehicle. First its been hijacked and second its more reactive than proactive.  We need more than clinced fist photo ops.

But we also need the 2016 version of Roy Wilkins and Whitney Young's as well. A multi  pronged plan of attack.

I think the facts say otherwise.
Black Lives Matter HAS MOVED the political narrative....on the Dem side.

Bernie moved.  Clinton reacted.  O'Malley caught flack.

At least one of the BLM members has filed for political office.

For a grass roots movement I think they have done quite well in quite a short time period.

They're struck a chord with young people and have pushed the needle in terms of AWARENESS (very important) and accountability of bad-acting police.

O0

The narrative has been moved how? A few questions during a debate. :shrug:Where is the policy? Wait until after SC and the primaries in the south. The same old narrative will take shape. Sorry 66, nothing has changed.

You'll see the same photo ops with the same public figures you all know and love.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
The  Black community needs its version of the Tea Party to move the political narrative. Black Lives Matter is not that vehicle. First its been hijacked and second its more reactive than proactive.  We need more than clinced fist photo ops.

But we also need the 2016 version of Roy Wilkins and Whitney Young's as well. A multi  pronged plan of attack.

For a grass roots movement I think they have done quite well in quite a short time period.

They're struck a chord with young people and have pushed the needle in terms of AWARENESS (very important) and accountability of bad-acting police.

O0

The narrative has been moved how? A few questions during a debate. :shrug:Where is the policy? Wait until after SC and the primaries in the south. The same old narrative will take shape. Sorry 66, nothing has changed.

You'll see the same photo ops with the same public figures you all know and love.

You said "narrative", not me my Brother.

Policy is another question.

But tell me if you think it is PURELY coincidental that Sanders and Clinton are talking about police misconduct/accountability and mass incarceration. 

Is it, in your opinion, because the NAACP or Urban League raised the issue??  Or Sharpton or Jackson?

IMO it is DEFINITELY and DIRECTLY due to Black Lives Matter and related activism.
O0

Offline aggiejazz

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »

O0

But tell me if you think it is PURELY coincidental that Sanders and Clinton are talking about police misconduct/accountability and mass incarceration. 

Is it, in your opinion, because the NAACP or Urban League raised the issue??  Or Sharpton or Jackson?

IMO it is DEFINITELY and DIRECTLY due to Black Lives Matter and related activism.
O0

I agree B66, and that is why we have to be the force to affect change.  We all know that forcing change isn't a one week protest.

Offline aggiejazz

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »
I don't think blacks should just fall for "it is the Democrats and nothing else".   We have to face the Republicans and fight, and we do it locally and state-wide, first.

Our ancestors and great-great grand parents only had a couple allies in either party but they went after both, pushing and forcing and fighting for their rights.  The strategy of only working with one political party in these current times will only mean incremental positive changes, on occasion.

There is nothing to "fall for," Aggie.

Even Black Republicans admit that the GOP has offered very little to Black folks to gain our support since the 70's.....................

That would be the 1870's when they turned around and stabbed Black folks in the back.

As always, we have a choice between two parties NEITHER OF WHICH has our best interest at heart.  But one of them, since the 1970's, has consistently courted the votes of those who straight up oppose our agenda of opportunity, voting rights and ending discrimination.

O0

A lot of black people live in Republican controlled localities and states, so we can't run to the Democrats.  This is why I say we have to deal with this Republican Party at the local and state level, first.  The Tea Party recognized this game, though they have more allies than we do, so we have to figure out things a little differently.

Paraphrasing "Kermit the Frog" which will get me joked  ;D, "Being Black ain't easy"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:18:46 PM by aggiejazz »

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
Sirius/XM radio host Karen Hunter launched something called "Party of Lincoln " device for Black voters to use in the primary process to do just what the above poster is advocating in a sense.
http://www.karenhuntershow.com/#!party-of-lincoln/c1hk8

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 11:54:03 PM »
While Black Lives Matter had made it voice be heard and influenced the democratic campaign, I am in a wait and see mode.  I would not say that they are having the impact that the civil rights and Black power groups did during the '50s and '60s.

Right now I am seeing photo ops, social media communication and clinched fist photos.  We will need more than those things.

Also, I will give more credit to the people in the streets as many did during the 1950s and '60s.

One piece of advice that I have for BLM is that they learn from what happened during the past.  It goes for the 1950s and '60s and other movements that came before those decades.

Though the Tea Party lost some races in the 2014 primaries, they moved the GOP to the right.  They had and are still having an effect.

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • Tell em don’t play w me IM NOT THEM AND WILL NEVER
    • View Profile
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »
Two words: Supreme Court

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
Well if you look at her main donors this will give you a glimpse of who she'll be beholden to if she gets in.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/contrib.php?cycle=2016&id=N00000019&type=f

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »

O0

O0

Bison4Life?

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
I agree B66, and that is why we have to be the force to affect change.  We all know that forcing change isn't a one week protest.

Not sure, Aggie...

Are you implying that BLM has been a one week protest?

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
Bison4Life,

Is silence consent?

O0

Offline aggiejazz

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 12:30:43 AM »
I agree B66, and that is why we have to be the force to affect change.  We all know that forcing change isn't a one week protest.

Not sure, Aggie...

Are you implying that BLM has been a one week protest?

O0

BLM is more than a one week protest group for sure.  I don't criticize BLM because they are disperse with different local leaders with specific issues and demands so you have to be tuned in to certain cities to know what is happening beyond what you hear on the news.

I was listening to a video of the great historian, John Henri Clarke, he mentioned that not only does a Movement need protesters and artists but a political and social movement also needs builders and managers, too.  People who know how to plan, organize and build infrastructure, non-sexy things like building sewage systems, roads, water treatment plants, power plants, and buildings.  A movement needs people who can manage and run offices that provide services to its people; and need people who knows manage corporate finance, banking, entrepreneurship, and major businesses.

Serious people can make serious demands of politicians, expect positive results and make good on delivering the consequences to politicians when they fail to keep their promises or fail to make a hard effort to keep them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:57:46 PM by aggiejazz »

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
BLM is young - Rome was not built in a day- and any black voting GOP is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule