News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: "Why Hillary Clinton does not deserve the Black vote" by Michelle Alexander  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Seeing real class discussions within the Black community . Seems the battlelines are drawn. Under forty and educated for Bernie. Black establishment for HRC.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
How Hillary Clinton Responded To An Innocent Man Who Spent Years On Death Row

by Kira Lerner Mar 14, 2016 10:26 am

The Democratic candidates have debated eight times and have held countless town halls and forums, and most questions they are asked are not new.

But on Sunday night, a man who spent 39 years in prison, including time on death row, for a crime he did not commit asked Hillary Clinton if she supports the death penalty. Clinton has struggled with questions about capital punishment in the past, and this was the first time she was presented with the question by a victim of the country’s broken justice system.

The exception (for terrorists and perhaps she included mass killers) she mentioned where the death penalty IS appropriate I agree with - as long as the evidence is beyond any doubt and prosecutors don't stack the deck.
She AMAZINGLY  said that the "states are incapable" of handling the death penalty.  That is likely to come back to haunt her in the General, but I agree with her because of cases like the brother (was it Ricky Jackson) found himself in.

Crazy idea:  States should hire The Innocence Project to research ALL death penalty cases where there seems to be even a small doubt of the person's guilt.

Hey, don't look at me like that,....I SAID it was crazy!
O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book

The results in Cleveland and Chicago with the defeat of the prosecutors shows me - I don't know about others - that the Black Lives Matter movement MATTERS!!

I applaud them!!!!!!!!!!
 :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book

The results in Cleveland and Chicago with the defeat of the prosecutors shows me - I don't know about others - that the Black Lives Matter movement MATTERS!!

I applaud them!!!!!!!!!!
 :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

O0

We can add another feather in BLM’s bonnet.

Hogan signs Noah’s Law, police and criminal justice reform bills

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan signed measures on Thursday that will change how drunk drivers are punished and how police are disciplined as well as another that dramatically shifts how the criminal justice system deals with nonviolent drug offenders.
[/size]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/hogan-plans-to-sign-noahs-law-and-police-and-criminal-justice-reform-bills/2016/05/18/e32b8644-1cf9-11e6-b6e0-c53b7ef63b45_story.html

Here’s a message from a leader of the effort to INCREASE POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY

Montgomery County Civil Rights CoalitionLike Page
7 hrs •
A very welcome step forward for police accountability -- thanks to advocates like you and the Maryland Coalition for Justice and Police Accountability: "Advocates who have pressed for improvements in police accountability said the successful passage of the reform bill this year was due to the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody and the unrest that followed in Baltimore. Larry Stafford, who leads the Maryland Coalition for Justice and Police Accountability and serves as the executive director of Progressive Maryland, said advocates have been pushing for changes in the way police officers are hired, trained and disciplined for years without much success.[...] “A lot of credit goes to the activists and organizers in Baltimore city who stood up after what happened with Freddie Gray and pushed for changes,” Stafford said. “That made this very possible.”"

And a message/reply shared by a Howard Alum who is an activist with the Prince Georges County Alliance (fighting for police accountability):

Thanks Thomas Nephew. I'd be remiss if I didn't give a BIG THANK YOU to Ms. Dorothy C Elliott who I consider a pioneer on this front in terms of police reform in MD and Redmond Barnes who first brought our coalition together in Prince Georges a few ions ago smile emoticon Lastly and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I pay HOMAGE to those NAMELESS street soldiers out of Baltimore that through their bodies, bricks, molotovs and pure determination forced the question last spring in the aftermath of Freddie Gray's brutal murder. For me, THE STREET SOLDIERS, THE MOTHERS/FATHERS OF THOSE STOLEN, the SURVIVORS those like Marion Gray-Hopkins, Dorothy C Elliott,Darlene Cain, Ms. Hazel Lampkin, Roberta McLeod, THEIR THE REAL HEROES/SHEROES. For my Howard University Family, LONG LIVE THE SPIRIT OF PRINCE CARMEN JONES. I AM THE PEOPLE. JH

THAT is what I call having an IMPACT!!

Why does it seem so important to criticize a group which focuses on a goal and gets results?!?

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
More international impact of the US Black Lives Matter movement:

Why Black Lives Matter has gained momentum in a country where police shootings are rare

PROTEST IN LONDON:

Amid anger and anxiety over two fatal police shootings in the United States, Black Lives Matter protests have erupted in Britain, where police patrol unarmed and have fatally shot very few people over the years.

In the days after the police shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota — and deadly sniper fire in Texas, where five officers were killed and others were wounded — hundreds have protested in solidarity.

In London, many have showed support — marching on Westminster, congregating in Windrush Square in Brixton and clogging Oxford Street — holding up signs saying "Stop Killing Us" and "How Many More," and chanting "hands up, don't shoot" and "black lives matter." Others have been tweeting with the hashtag #stopkillingthemandem, Jamaican slang for a group of men that has been adopted by Britain's youths.

The founder of the Black Lives Matter movement in London, Marayam Ali, told the Voice newspaper that she hopes the protests show that the U.K. supports "our American brothers and sisters."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/10/why-black-lives-matter-has-gained-momentum-in-a-country-where-police-shootings-are-rare/?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_2_na

Why anyone would doubt that Black Lives Matter has changed the narrative is beyond me.

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Yeah, definitely NOT affecting the narrative:

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
NOPE, NO CHANGE IN THE NARRATIVE HERE!!

O0

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Has anyone read anything by Michelle Alexander since #ErraticTrump took office?

Has she expressed her regret for helping to suppress the Black vote in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin?

Just curious...

O0

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
Has anyone read anything by Michelle Alexander since #ErraticTrump took office?

Has she expressed her regret for helping to suppress the Black vote in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin?

Just curious...

O0

Nope, and I really like her but her comments were myopic.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule