News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Tuskegee (10-2) vs. West Georgia (11-1); NCAA II Quarterfinals  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Utopia

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
)112 SIAC Titles; Elite 8 Men's Basketball '14; SIAC Softball Champs '14, '15 & "16; NCAA WBB Title Game '82; NCAA Football Playoffs, '13, '14 , '15  & '16; 31 SIAC Football Titles; 8 HBCU Football National Titles; Only HBCU with 600 football wins (692); 7 USA Olympians-'48, '52, '56, '60

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Tuskegee (10-2) vs. West Georgia (11-1); NCAA II Quarterfinals
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »
Skegee!!!  ;D :nod:
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Utopia

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
)112 SIAC Titles; Elite 8 Men's Basketball '14; SIAC Softball Champs '14, '15 & "16; NCAA WBB Title Game '82; NCAA Football Playoffs, '13, '14 , '15  & '16; 31 SIAC Football Titles; 8 HBCU Football National Titles; Only HBCU with 600 football wins (692); 7 USA Olympians-'48, '52, '56, '60

Offline Utopia

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »

Alright GOLDEN TIGERS.. We Can Do This Again  :nod: :nod:.
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline TUTiger

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://None
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/football/game-day/2015/12/04/gameday-preview-tuskegee-west-georgia/76768764/

GAME-DAY
Gameday Preview: Tuskegee at West Georgia

FOUR-DOWN TERRITORY

1. “I haven’t forgotten about last year”: Tuskegee’s Division II national quarterfinals matchup features a familiar foe in West Georgia. UWG defeated the Golden Tigers 20-17 in the first round last year in Tuskegee, and now they have a chance to return the favor. Not that the team needs any extra motivation, but senior receiver Travis Hawkins said the rematch adds to the game’s intensity.
“I haven’t forgotten about last year. Definitely motivated, definitely hungry. They’re the team everybody’s trying to beat. They’re on top,” Hawkins said. “I don’t think many people are expecting us to win, and that’s how I like it. But I know I’m ready, I know my team’s ready, and I’m excited to play them.”

2. The ultimate goal: It’s been a historic year for Tuskegee coach Willie Slater. He moved to second place in school history in wins, and led the team to its first playoff win in school history. It’s tough to reflect in the middle of a playoff run, but Slater said this year’s team has accomplished the “ultimate goal.”
“Our ultimate goal has been to win in the playoffs. That’s what we started off the year saying. We wanted to get into a position where we could win the playoffs. Honestly, I felt we were a year away. But I think they see now, ‘We can win in the playoffs. Those guys we’re playing against, they put their pads on one at a time just like we do,’” Slater said.
“We’re playing a great team, I feel like one of the best teams in the whole country. But as crazy as it sounds, we’re kind of excited about it. They have like 26 Division I players, guys that’ve played Division I football. So that’s what we’re up against. Which makes our kids excited because they get a chance to play against the best and see how good they really are. I think we have some good players too. It’s going to be an interesting game.”

3. One to remember: Tuskegee won its second-round matchup with some late-game drama last week. After throwing four interceptions, quarterback Kevin Lacey delivered when it mattered most, hitting Desmond Reece for a 33-yard gain down to the 2-yard line with less than 30 seconds to play to set up the game-winning touchdown. Proving he could deliver in the clutch turned Lacey’s game from one to forget to one to never forget.
“It was probably the best throw I’ve had since I’ve been throwing a football. Many people would feel excited. But for me when I saw him catch it, it was more of a weight being lifted off my shoulders. It was a relief because, after the day I had, it was one to forget. But I don’t want to forget that day because I know if it comes to a crunch situation, I know I can do it,” Lacey said. “Even if I’ve had a terrible day, it doesn’t matter. It’s all what you do in the moment. If you take advantage of the moment and don’t let the past get to you. That throw, it really felt like I had someone standing on my shoulders, and it was a huge relief. I was just grateful we could get down there and score, especially after the day I had.”
4. Humbled and hungry: No one wants to blow a big lead against a rival, but that’s what happened to the Golden Tigers in the regular-season finale against Miles. It knocked Tuskegee out of the conference championship, but it may have actually been a good thing. Instead of pouting after the loss, Hawkins said the team has rallied around the disappointment during the playoff run.
“I think it humbled us to lose, especially a game that we had one where we just didn’t finish. So it humbled us. I feel like in the past I’ve seen our team go two ways: We either take that negatively and feel bad for ourselves, or we get hungry and we fight harder. I feel like that’s what we’re doing,” Hawkins said. “Since that Miles loss, we’ve come back and just are hungry, more determined. We’re humble and we just remember that feeling. So it’s definitely in the back of our heads, but we’re looking ahead and excited to see what God has planned for us. I know good things are coming.”

KEY MATCHUP
Tuskegee DE Julian Morgan vs. UWG QB Dallas Dickey
Dickey is a two-year starter, and the best rushing quarterback in school history. He ran for a 9-yard touchdown to win last week’s game, and will be tough for the speedy Morgan to wrap up. Morgan has 91/2 sacks this season in 12 games, but will face his toughest test of the season in the quarterfinals.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Kevin Lacey
QB, Jr., 6-6, 175
Lacey delivered when it was crunch time last week, but he’ll have to be more efficient against West Georgia. Another four-interception game won’t cut it in the quarterfinals, and he knows that. This offense will run as smoothly as he does, and the experienced junior should bring his “A” game.

PREDICTION
This is a team on a mission. Tuskegee has an experienced quarterback that’s delivered in the clutch, a game-breaking running back and three experienced wide receivers. On defense, playmakers across the board can rush the passer and get their hands on the ball. It’s a tough task going into West Georgia and winning on the road, but the Golden Tigers have all the ingredients to win. A late-game defensive stand allows Tuskegee to move on to the semifinals.
Tuskegee 21, West Georgia 20

THE GAME
WHEN: 11 a.m. Saturday
WHERE: University Stadium, Carrollton, Ga.
RECORDS: Tuskegee (10-2, 7-1 SIAC); West Georgia (11-1, 6-1 Gulf South)
ON THE AIR: None
TWITTER: @mgmsports @MyTUAthletics

BY THE NUMBERS
3: West Georgia beat Tuskegee by three points (20-17) in last year’s playoff game.
39: Dennis Norfleet has run 39 times in the past two games, 37.5 percent of his carries this year.
150: Tuskegee is 9-1 when holding opponents under 150 rushing yards this season.

†***************************

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/football/game-day/2015/12/04/tuskegee-football-measure-morgans-heart/76768724/

GAME-DAY

Tuskegee football: Can’t measure Morgan’s heart

Tuskegee defensive end Julian Morgan has 91/2 sacks for the Golden Tigers this season.
TUSKEGEE — It’s funny the way things work out. Tuskegee didn’t even recruit defensive end Julian Morgan out of high school, and now he’s one of its best players.

It’s not that Tuskegee coach Willie Slater didn’t know who Morgan was. He actually met him at Lithia Springs (Georgia) High School when he was recruiting Morgan’s teammate, linebacker Joseph Ross.
But Morgan never got a scholarship offer. Why?

“His size,” Slater said.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound junior doesn’t look like your typical defensive end. He played quarterback in high school. So Morgan played his freshman year at Arkansas-Pine Bluff before he got a chance to go to the place he wanted all along.

“I’ve been coming to homecoming since I was 5. I had uncles graduate from here, I’ve had a lot of family come through Tuskegee, so I’ve always loved Tuskegee. It didn’t really bother me. It was sore feelings at first, but it wasn’t too bad,” Morgan said. “I was like, ‘I can’t let that chance go to waste.’”

So Morgan joined the Golden Tigers as a sophomore, and led the team with 91/2 sacks despite being “too small.” He’s proven it was no fluke this season, as he’s racked up 91/2 sacks again despite missing two games with an injury.

“I’m glad he didn’t give up on us,” Slater said. “He’s kind of proven himself. Guys like that, you can’t measure their heart. You can say they’re undersized and all that stuff, but you can’t measure his heart and his willingness to work hard. He has all of the intangibles.”

Morgan played his best last game, leading the team with 12 tackles and two sacks to help defeat North Alabama in the second round of the NCAA Division II playoffs.

Playing with a chip on his shoulder his whole career, Morgan intends to keep it going against West Georgia in the quarterfinals this week, a rematch of Tuskegee’s first-round playoff game last year.

“I remember they felt like they were going to do whatever they wanted to us the entire game. They took us lightly and we shocked them, so that’s what I remember. This year, since we shocked everybody else, they’re going to be a little more serious. I think they took us as a joke coming into the game, but I don’t think that we’ll be taken as a joke again,” Morgan said.

West Georgia defeated Tuskegee 20-17 last season in Tuskegee’s first home playoff game ever. Morgan is more than willing to return the favor.

“It adds a lot of oil to this fire we’re starting over here. Not a lot of motivation is needed
 for this game. It’s going to be who wants it the most. All I can say is, we’re ready,” Morgan said.

Go Golden Tigers!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:13:31 AM by TUTiger »
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else."   Booker T. Washington

Offline TUTiger

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:10:30 AM »
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/rankinfile/2015/12/04/michigan-transfer-force-in-tuskegee-playoff-run/76767828/

Michigan transfer Norfleet finds 'new family,' success at Tuskegee

TUSKEGEE -- Dennis Norfleet is more than 800 miles from home, but Tuskegee has made him feel right at home.

"I've started a new family," Norfleet said Wednesday.

In return, the Michigan transfer has made a sizeable impact in helping Tuskegee advance to the NCAA Division II quarterfinals for the first time ever. The 5-foot, 7-inch, 168-pound running back scored the game-winning touchdown in last week's 35-31 stunner at second seed North Alabama.

"The impact he's had on this team is unbelievable," said Tuskegee senior linebacker Jewell Ratliff, a D-I transfer from Kentucky. "You rarely catch guys from a D-I coming to a D-II performing because usually people get caught in their feelings, but Norfleet stayed down, stayed humble and just giving us everything he got every day off and on the field."

Norfleet and the sixth-seeded Golden Tigers (10-2) will look to win a third straight postseason road game as they play Saturday at top seed West Georgia (11-1).

"It's a blessing being here playing with guys that's after the same dream that I want and guys that love me for who I am and it's not for the football side," Norfleet said.

Norfleet still keeps in contact with his Michigan teammates, particularly his roommate, Willie "Big Earl" Henry. The Detroit native made it clear he only had a problem with one particular individual at Michigan -- first-year head coach Jim Harbaugh.

"Those are my brothers to the death," Norfleet said. "I didn't get into with Michigan fans or the Michigan players or all the Michigan coaches. I just had an incident with Harbaugh."

Norfleet and Michigan parted ways after spring ball when Harbaugh released him from his scholarship. The issue was over academics. Norfleet told the Detroit News that Harbaugh thought he was going to be ineligible, but said he wouldn't have been.

Later this month, Norfleet, a history major, will earn his degree.

"It feels great," he said with a huge smile.

Months before, Tuskegee was granted permission to talk to Norfleet and wound up getting Michigan's all-time leader in yardage on kickoff returns. It take long for Tuskegee coach Willie Slater to see Norfleet could make a difference for the SIAC school.

"When you hear about a kid, you look at him on film," he said. "He was like a two-framer. You look at two frames and you know. That wasn't a hard decision at all."

Slater said Tuskegee did "a little background" on Norfleet.

"Good kid," Slater continued. "We've been very fortunate to have a guy like that on our team."

Norfleet leads Tuskegee in rushing (752 yards), kick return yards (351) and punt return yards (93). He's averaging 7.2 yards a carry, has four rushing touchdowns and 11 receptions for 149 yards.

"He knows how to make plays," Slater said. "He does things you can't teach. You just can't teach certain things. You can't give them heart. He's got the package. He's got the heart, he's got the skill.He's got the speed. The only thing he doesn't have is size, but he makes up for it for his size with the other intangibles."

Norfleet said he watched every Michigan game this season. The Wolverines are 9-3 and like many who watched them, Norfleet credited Harbaugh for the program's resurgence. Michigan went 5-7 in 2014.

"Coach Harbaugh came in there and did a great job as he always does with whatever team he goes to," Norfleet said. "They did a real good job this year. They kind of stumbled through Michigan State and Ohio State, but things happen."

While Michigan awaits a bowl bid, Tuskegee is making postseason history with Norfleet playing a major role. He rushed for a career-high 136 yards and two touchdowns with the latter score being the game winner with 19 seconds left in last week's win.

"When 'Fleet dove into the end zone, it was just very exciting," Tuskegee sophomore safety Jonah McCutcheon said. "We got a penalty and everything, but we accepted the penalty."

Tuskegee has also accepted Norfleet to help form a bond that's lead to a historic season -- and a new family.

"In so many ways, it helped me," Norfleet said. "It opened my eyes. I don't have a new pair of cleats every day. I don't have a field that got lights on it. I don't have the things that a lot of D-I players have like a nutritionist.

"Right now at a D-II, I'm loving it because it shows you the correct way and how it feels not to have something in order to get something. I give them 110 percent of everything that I do when I'm on the field because I know they'll give it to me."

Offline TUTiger

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/rankinfile/2015/12/03/tuskegee-quarterback-kevin-lacey-compares-turkey-day-classic-and-playoffs/76708772

COMMENTARY

TWIST ON A CLASSIC

Lacey, Tuskegee set for D-II quarterfinals vs. West Georgia

Duane Rankin

COLUMNIST

TUSKEGEE — Kevin Lacey didn’t miss a Turkey Day Classic until he started playing for the school that traditionally played in it.

“I grew up in this area, so the Turkey Day Classic was a Thanksgiving tradition for me as well,” said Lacey, a Wetumpka High graduate.

Tuskegee last played Alabama State in the annual game in 2012 at ASU when Lacey was a redshirt freshman. Freed up from that game, the Golden Tigers could play in the NCAA Division II playoffs and have made it each year since.

This season, Tuskegee has reached the D-II quarterfinals for the first time with Lacey as its starting quarterback. The sixth-seeded Tigers (10-2) will play Saturday at top seed West Georgia (11-1).

Drawing from his experiences as a fan of the Turkey Day Classic, having watched the game as a player and now a playoff participant, the Tuskegee junior offered an insightful perspective on it all.

“Just being a part of these playoffs, it’s just a different atmosphere,” Lacey said Wednesday. “The intensity is a lot higher.”

He said that playing in the Turkey Day Classic was exciting because it was such a big rivalry. It’s HBCU’s Alabama-Auburn.

“For us, just playing in that game, it meant a lot, but you knew it was your last game. So you laid it on the line because of that, but in the playoffs, you lay it on the line because any week could be your last week.”

Tuskegee will renew its rivalry with Alabama State starting in 2017, but the game will be played in September, and Lacey will have used up all his eligibility by then. So he’ll never get to play in a game that meant so much to him as a kid, but Lacey is experiencing a postseason that would have never happened had Tuskegee continued playing in the Turkey Day Classic.

“If you win, you keep going until you finally get to that national championship game,” Lacey continued. “That’s what you’re fighting for. So they’re both a big deal and especially a part of Tuskegee history, but the playoffs bring upon a different atmosphere, a different vibe because you know you’re fighting for something each and every week. You keep winning, you keep going. You lose, it’s over.”
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:44:16 AM by TUTiger »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »
TU by 10!

Offline ToUgh1881

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
Let's go Tuskegee

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »

pulling for ya’ll, tuskegee!  do the dayum deal!

Offline BulldogWillie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
GO GET'EM GOLDEN TIGERS!!! BRING IT BACK FOR ALL HBCUS!

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
Alright Tigers.  One more hunt!

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
GOOOO TUSKEGEE!!!!  It is time to Ball and Parlay one more time.  There should be a large contingent of Tuskegee fans at this game.  Turn West Georgia out Tiger fans.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News