News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: It's OFFICIAL: Kirby Smart is Coming Home  (Read 1420 times)

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
It's OFFICIAL: Kirby Smart is Coming Home
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »
I knew McGarity wasn't going to fire Richt, if he didn't already have a plan.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/smart-hire-to-come-as-early-as-sunday/npZjT/

that's all...   :clap:

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: It's OFFICIAL: Kirby Smart is Coming Home
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »
let's see how this goes

Offline ASUHORNETS

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:38:40 PM »
 :nod:

The Hornets Nest!

Offline House Rules

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
Congratulations to Smart; I still stand by my original statement that after his tenure at UGA...whether his contract is not renewed, or if he "steps down" I promise you the headline will read "Fired".

But who gives a d@mn?  I don't. Check that...as a journalist, I do give a damn.  I'm just disgusted with the Atlanta television media...giving the UGA AD a pass.

Oh well, on to more important things....Go Skegee!!!

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
Be careful what you ask for.  I do not consider this a step up from Richt.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:58:33 PM by SSUTigerFan »

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
Be careful what you ask for.  I do not consider this a step up from Richt.

I agree. Kirby has all of the makings of Will Muschamp @ Florida 2.0

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »
Smart is nothing like Will. All Smart needs to do is hire a good OC. That was Will's downfall. If we get Tyson Helton from Western Kentucky, we're in business. He runs a pro-style offense which caters to the needs of our offensive recruits. Plus, he's good friends with Kirby when he coached at UAB.

that's all... 

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
I was surprised and not surprised on this move... I knew Kirby was a UGA coach in waiting, but I figured that they would farm him out to another FCS school for some head coaching experience first and then bring him in. It feels kinda weird being that I have known Kirby since we were in elementary school together. He was Salutatorian of our high school graduating class.*  I really expected a seasoned HC, but we will see how this goes.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
Rameses, I see this as a smooth over for the UGA fans in the state before they go into serious cardiac arrest. It's very divided right now. He is a Georgia boy through and through and he understands the importance of winning unlike Richt the past 9 years was given a pass because of first years success and allowed the program to decline. I know the recruits love it because some of them were courted by Bama. I just hope he handles the pressure being from the state and playing at UGA.

that's all...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:39:35 AM by thatd@mnYOGI »

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »
Kirby Smart??   :no:

Teeny and Little

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
Kirby Smart??   :no:
:lol:..........what don't you like about this hire, GK?  :lol:

Something that gives THIS poster pause is that dude will be taking on his FIRST head football coaching job at one of the traditional powers in arguably the most powerful collegiate football conference in the country.  Like someone else mentioned on either THIS thread or another, what would have been ideal was if Smart had FIRST head coached at any number of 1-AA, Div. 2, or other football playing colleges in the state.

And what ALSO is troubling to me is that, given that lack of head coaching experience, dude is going back to his alma mater, his "dream" job as he puts it.  The pressure to do what YOGI and others have criticized Richt for NOT doing - getting to the SEC championship game and beyond - will be nothing short of ENORMOUS.  The suggestion that dude is just going to march into Athens and in short order establish primacy over the likes of FL, Tenn, SC, Mizzou and the like is a pipe dream.  :no:  Hell, given the RIGHT coach, dude would have trouble dealing with my Commodores.  And James Franklin during his tenure at Vandy established that to be a FACT!!!!

So WHAT Richt didn't get a national championship during his tenure?  The LAST NC the Bulldogs got was, what, 1982, during the Herschel Walker days?  And Richt averaged over 10 wins a year during his tenure, but THAT isn't good enough.  :shrug:

Lord, have mercy.  :(

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:40:17 AM »
I would not be surprised if Smart's tenure is not be what UGA fans anticipate.  :shrug:

This time next year....the question will be answered.
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »
It will all come out of the wash, as my mother would say. I am just happy Richt is GONE! I was tired of watching him screw up games that we should have won. I had realized years ago that he wasn't going to take us to a national championship especially when he stopped having a hand in the offense this season. He should have taken over the play-calling because everybody knew Schotty was SHOT. He didn't have a clue to what to do with all of that talent. Even when Chubb went down,  you would think he would have gone to Keith. But, noooo, this idiot sticks in Brendan. I was like WTH? He should be starting with Sony. Just poor, poor coaching all the way around this season on offense.

that's all...

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »
 :lol:...........ok, Big YOGI^^^^.  Your post ought to be archived because you are likely gonna regret EVERY SINGLE WORD of what you just stated.  You wanted Richt gone, and now you have your wish.

That age-old maxim applies here:  Be careful what you wish for..................

You're a trip, YOGI.  :lol:

Offline TrueEagle

• Assistant GM
  • Asst. GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccueaf.org
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
Wayment...wayment...he doesn't have HC experience? Wow!!!
"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepard, Founder of NCCU    :nod:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News