News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: MOVE BAYOU CLASSIC OUT OF NEW ORLEANS  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: MOVE BAYOU CLASSIC OUT OF NEW ORLEANS
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
Out of 1364 people who signed the petition less than 200 are from New Orleans.

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
Slope, why do you keep hating on the CIAA Basketball or the CIAA so much.  Your MEAC Conference isn't that much any better. Who wants to go too the MEAC Basketball Tournament. The NCAA just ignored you for the FCS playoffs. Do you think that will move the Mardi Gra or the Essence Festival out of New Orleans? Merry Christmas Slope, keep beating those Aggies every year in Basketball and Football.

HBCU,

What is your F#$&% problem?  I have never hated on the CIAA Tournament.  I have and always will love the CIAA.  But the tournament is not the same as it was 10 years ago.  It has been stated on this board, in newspapers, on TV that a lot of people come to Charlotte "for the CIAA" and they never go to games.  They have no clue there is any basketball going on.  They only come to party.   Attendance has dropped severely at all of the game.  The champion game was attendance by less than 10,000 fans last year.  Stop denying the facts and open your eyes.  The CIAA tournament is in trouble and your commissioner and school presidents and chancellors do not have a clue as to how to fix it.

The MEAC on the other is growing slowly.  Fans who go to Norfolk are going to support their school and watch basketball (not to just party).  BTW, the MEAC has not given up it's automatic bid to the NCAA basketball playoffs for some "pie in the sky" Celebration Basketball tournament.  That will never happen.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »

So how did you come to this conclusion?

This situation sounds a lot like the CIAA Tournament.  Thousands of folks come to Charlotte but they never attend any games, they have no affiliations with any schools in the CIAA, and they reek havoc on the city.

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »

So how did you come to this conclusion?

This situation sounds a lot like the CIAA Tournament.  Thousands of folks come to Charlotte but they never attend any games, they have no affiliations with any schools in the CIAA, and they reek havoc on the city.

It has been well documented over the past several years on this forum and in the newspapers in Charlotte.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »
Out of 1364 people who signed the petition less than 200 are from New Orleans.
Just 1364!?!?  Not even from New Orleans, but want the game moved?!?! :crazy:
South Carolina State University

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
The Bayou Classic and the CIAA Tournament are completely different and attendance figures proves this.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
Watch news conference here

NOPD Superintendent Michael Harrison said the unidentified victim was found lying on the ground after being shot in the stomach. The victim, a New Orleans man, died on the way to a hospital.

"Every indication leads us to believe that this is absolutely not related to Bayou Classic. It is not related to tourism," Harrison said.

Harrison said detectives gathered surveillance video from the scene. Investigators believe the victim was involved in a fist fight with a group of people outside a bar.

One person is seen punching the victim and another person is seen taking out a gun and shooting the victim multiple times, the NOPD said. Harrison said several people were involved in the fight that led up to the shooting.

"So what we have is a group of individuals who made their choice to hurt someone," Harrison said. "Our officers quickly responded very professionally. I'm extremely proud of them for that."

http://m.wdsu.com/news/live-nopd-to-give-update-on-earlymorning-fatal-shooting-on-bourbon-street/36695194

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
The Bayou Classic falls on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Southern University (of Baton Rouge, not New Orleans; this distinction is incredibly important) and Grambling State square off against each other, more often than not for sole ownership of the top spot in the SWAC division.

What i’m getting at is that this is an event in Louisiana every year, and the Battle of the Bands, which takes place before the actual game is arguably the best part. During this year’s competition, Southern University’s marching band – known affectionately, and appropriately as “The Human Jukebox” – absolutely knocked a rendition of Adele’s smash-hit Hello out of the park.

Stick around for the second chorus for full face-melting-ness.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/southern-university-marching-band-does-mind-blowing-cover-of-adeles-hello-bayou-classic

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:28:44 PM by bluedog »

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 08:59:01 PM »

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »
My meager two brown brothers on this is y'all Jags and Tigers lead a massive charge to start a large petition to keep the game exactly where it is

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
My meager two brown brothers on this is y'all Jags and Tigers lead a massive charge to start a large petition to keep the game exactly where it is

Bruh trust me when I say. This ain't  nuthin we gonna lose any sleep over.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
Agree with Bluedog-- there are a total of 20-30 murders during the Mardi gras and Sugar Bowl.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
Having attended the Bayou Classics and CIAA tournaments I have to concur with the opinion of Slope.  Both attract a dual crowd of alumni from many colleges and with those groups are attached viruses of  riffraff, hooligans, not spending a dime, but sporting those rims and booming the stereo, while cruising down, or standing on  Poydras  just looking.  I must add, the same happens when the Big Schools come for a bowl game or championship. New Orleans is a rough place to go if you are naive enough to walk in the wrong areas near and about the Vieux Carre.  Thats for any tourist at any event, not just the Bayou Classic.  Will the petition influence cancellation?  NO!  Bourbon Street?  That is the last street I would venture to at night replete with drunks and folks swigging hurricanes, persons openly urinating against buildings,girls  showing tits for cheap beads is not my idea of a good time.  It is not as bad at the Bayou as with the bowl game of competing major conference schools.  I'm told it is wilder.  They won't cancel the Sugar Bowl because of drunks, ribald actions or a killing or two.  Too much money and too much fun.  The CIAA has the same issues but not so much the violence in relation to the Bayou. Many true tournament attendees, spending tremendous sums should continue to frequent Charlotte and the Chamber of Commerce should safe guard that they get the same welcome/pricing as those yelling redneck NASCAR fans have for their events.  I changed to the MEAC in Norfolk.  Much more fun, less crowds and you will not feel ripped off upon leaving.  We walked to the arena and mall without any incidents with others in an intelligent crowd of friendly folk - eat at excellent area restaurants feeling welcomed and no voodoo pricing.  I truly enjoyed myself with old friends.
Not attempting to denigrate another great tournament or classic.  I hope they all flourish and continue to grow. To each his own.   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:31:12 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline CEME2

• Assistant GM
  • Smoke'em, if you got one. Don't ask me for none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
Slope, I don't have a f_ _ _ing problem with you or anyone. Yes I'm Ciaa4Life and will defend it's Legacy when I feel that it is being attack.  My Commissioner has more leadership qualities than MEAC Dennis Thomas.  The CIAA Basketball Tournament has grown bigger than the games. Our younger HBCU Students come to party for the weekend.  Tickets have been sold, but that don't make them come into the arena. The older CIAA fans don't like the crowds outside Time Warner Arena. The dresses are up to the female arses, the illegal smoke is everywhere.  This CIAA Basketball Tournament have people as far as Alaska to Iraq attending this party atmosphere each year. The ACC Basketball Tournament  only have crowds when Duke, Carolina and State plays in North Carolina Arena. Moving the ACC  Tournament  to Brooklyn will have some attendance issues. Slope, change is sometimes fearful for us Seniors, for an example. My granddaughter came home with those dam blue jeans cut up too her arse, I took her too the mall and she bought another dam pair. Slope, you mentioned the CIAA Basketball tournament isn't same as it was ten years ago. Slope, all of us aren't the as we were ten years ago. Time has change Slope, even in our Churches. Slope, you have a Merry Christmas and a great year. Leave my CIAA alone and I will leave your MEAC alone.

Thinkingaboutit,
How are you doing today, maybe I'll come to the MEAC Basketball Tournament this year. Haven't made my mind up yet about attending the Celebration Bowl. You and Slope are good Eagles and MEAC loyalist, I don't have a problem with that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:15:24 PM by HBCU »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
This was a very good game and attendance numbers show that this game is very relevant and will continue to be successful.  The later start time has helped boost the numbers in the seats, at this point we just need to see what the results from tv viewers and tax revenue from visitors... The Bayou Classic is here to stay and I think that it will only get better.

I agree.   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News