News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Tuskegee,AL area peeps and/or Tuskegee University friends and alum  (Read 335 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
..........so your humble poster was returning to Nashville yesterday morning (11/4) after completing business in an area near Columbus, GA.  Was headed back home using the same route I used going down.  And that was a route that went south through Alabama and not southeast through Ga, as I wanted to avoid the DREADED traffic in the ATL area.

So I'm in Opelika, AL, just finished pumping gas, and getting ready to proceed home when it hit me.  Opelika is in the same southeast AL region as Tuskegee.  Pulled up the GPS, discovered its only 30mins away, and then got going.  And, MAN!, am I pleased that I did.  :clap:

Guys, won't go on and on - I've been rebuked by a couple of posters who say most of my posts read like treatises  :lol: - but it was one of those moments in my life I'll remember for a long time.  The ONLY other time I had been on the TU yard was around 20 years ago, and don't remember much from that trip other than Booker T. Washington's home, The Oaks, was closed.  I was VERY disappointed.  :(

But got to tour it yesterday, and was simply overwhelmed. Its just an INCREDIBLY beautiful home, completed over 100 years ago.  Booker T. Washington is one of my heroes.  His home, as well as the Carver museum, are managed by the National Park Service.  The only other person on the tour with me was a middle-aged looking white business type from Denver, who drove to Tuskegee after a week's worth of business in Birmingham.  Because I have read so much about BTW over my lifetime, I had to LITERALLY restrained myself from interrupting the park ranger - a VERY knowledgeable brutha, btw - who was spewing very accurate facts about BTW.  This white guy knew very little about BTW, George Washinton Carver, or the university prior to yesterday.  But he impressed me as the type who just might drop a few "coins" on the school, he seemed so impressed.

Prior to seeing the home, I toured the George Washington Carver museum. And I saw the same white guy I just referenced there as well.  I was absolutely ASHAMED at how LITTLE I knew about GWC before touring the museum.  Dude was nothing less than a freaking GENIUS with all the work /studies/innovations he did with the peanut and other agricultural products.  Seriously, guys, was so humbled at this man's brilliance I was in tears when I left.  :'(

Those of you who are alums of Tuskegee, grew up in the area,  or have had the privilege of being in the town and on the yard know what I'm talking about.  But for those of you who don't fit in ANY of these aforementioned categories, if you find yourself within a 50mis radius of Tuskegee, and have the time, it will be one of the most stunning trips you have ever taken.

Btw, as Skegee peeps on this board are well aware, it is Homecoming week, and the yard looks absolutely beautiful with banners and all welcoming alumni.  And city workers were on the town square pressure washing the sidewalks and all.  Tuskegee, AL, is small town, "Norman Rockwell-like," in appearance.  Its just your prototypical small, Southern city, with a predominantly black population, and from the mayor down, most of the city officials are black.  Btw, saw the football stadium, the playing field was in "picture perfect" shape, and I am STILL pondering how in the WORLD they are able to pack all of those folks in the area for a Homecoming football game?!?!?   :lol:

Does it sound like I was VERY moved by my visit to the city and university?  :lol:

Offline tusk91

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Tuskegee,AL area peeps and/or Tuskegee University friends and alum
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
..........so your humble poster was returning to Nashville yesterday morning (11/4) after completing business in an area near Columbus, GA.  Was headed back home using the same route I used going down.  And that was a route that went south through Alabama and not southeast through Ga, as I wanted to avoid the DREADED traffic in the ATL area.

So I'm in Opelika, AL, just finished pumping gas, and getting ready to proceed home when it hit me.  Opelika is in the same southeast AL region as Tuskegee.  Pulled up the GPS, discovered its only 30mins away, and then got going.  And, MAN!, am I pleased that I did.  :clap:

Guys, won't go on and on - I've been rebuked by a couple of posters who say most of my posts read like treatises  :lol: - but it was one of those moments in my life I'll remember for a long time.  The ONLY other time I had been on the TU yard was around 20 years ago, and don't remember much from that trip other than Booker T. Washington's home, The Oaks, was closed.  I was VERY disappointed.  :(

But got to tour it yesterday, and was simply overwhelmed. Its just an INCREDIBLY beautiful home, completed over 100 years ago.  Booker T. Washington is one of my heroes.  His home, as well as the Carver museum, are managed by the National Park Service.  The only other person on the tour with me was a middle-aged looking white business type from Denver, who drove to Tuskegee after a week's worth of business in Birmingham.  Because I have read so much about BTW over my lifetime, I had to LITERALLY restrained myself from interrupting the park ranger - a VERY knowledgeable brutha, btw - who was spewing very accurate facts about BTW.  This white guy knew very little about BTW, George Washinton Carver, or the university prior to yesterday.  But he impressed me as the type who just might drop a few "coins" on the school, he seemed so impressed.

Prior to seeing the home, I toured the George Washington Carver museum. And I saw the same white guy I just referenced there as well.  I was absolutely ASHAMED at how LITTLE I knew about GWC before touring the museum.  Dude was nothing less than a freaking GENIUS with all the work /studies/innovations he did with the peanut and other agricultural products.  Seriously, guys, was so humbled at this man's brilliance I was in tears when I left.  :'(

Those of you who are alums of Tuskegee, grew up in the area,  or have had the privilege of being in the town and on the yard know what I'm talking about.  But for those of you who don't fit in ANY of these aforementioned categories, if you find yourself within a 50mis radius of Tuskegee, and have the time, it will be one of the most stunning trips you have ever taken.

Btw, as Skegee peeps on this board are well aware, it is Homecoming week, and the yard looks absolutely beautiful with banners and all welcoming alumni.  And city workers were on the town square pressure washing the sidewalks and all.  Tuskegee, AL, is small town, "Norman Rockwell-like," in appearance.  Its just your prototypical small, Southern city, with a predominantly black population, and from the mayor down, most of the city officials are black.  Btw, saw the football stadium, the playing field was in "picture perfect" shape, and I am STILL pondering how in the WORLD they are able to pack all of those folks in the area for a Homecoming football game?!?!?   :lol:

Does it sound like I was VERY moved by my visit to the city and university?  :lol:

Hmmmm it is my off Friday from work and I just got paid. Maybe me and the wife need to make a trip back to Skegee for homecoming, just 7 hours drive away  ;D

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »

You'll have to come down for a Homecoming one year and take in the full tailgating experience!!!

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Tuskegee!!!
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »
GLAD you enjoyed the visit. Stop by the Tuskegee Airmen Museum.
 ;) ;D :nod:
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
GLAD you enjoyed the visit. Stop by the Tuskegee Airmen Museum.
 ;) ;D :nod:
:)......yeah, I saw the sign directing visitors to the TAM right before entering the city.  My plan was to hit the museum after spending time in the city and on the yard.  After spending around 3 hours on the yard, I realized that, unless I planned to spend another nite, I better get my a.z.z on the road.  I was ALREADY looking at 6 hrs drive from Tuskegee to Nashville.  :o

My route home took me through downtown Montgomery.  Saw the sign to exit the interstate to visit Bama State.  It was around 20 years or so ago when I last saw THAT yard, and that was before the opening of the beautiful new football stadium.  Man, I did some QUICK thinking, and decided that I better keep pushing.

I better set aside another long weekend and hit a bunch of stuff I'd like to see in the black belt of Alabama.  ;)

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
Yeah Strike, that's a cool thing you did there bro!  It gets harder and harder for me to see the blight in the surrounding communities.

The Airman Museum is really a nice diversion and a must see/attend.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News