News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: There Were Fewer Black Men In Medical School In 2014 Than In 1978  (Read 231 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - MLK

“There’s the philosophical question of living in a regime that doesn’t believe I am a fully autonomous human with the power to make decisions about myself.” - Elizabeth Eager

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: There Were Fewer Black Men In Medical School In 2014 Than In 1978
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
i'll wait on Ken.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
Well one is mentoring- when I attended segregated schools i got more encouragement when things got bad- and all my teachers wanted me to persue medicine.  In todays climate that is very difficult for a black man- almost 75% of whites in America have no contacts wth blacks so many are just sterotyped.  When I was at Southern Dr. Prestage always gave a lecture on the number of premed students who entered medical and dental school and he would call them out by name.

Less black males are going into the STEM studies--that is very important

Race-- these schools still have a quota whether we want to admit it or not.  When I was At howard med- UC Med school had a quota of 2 blacks and 8 jews per class.

Cost-- When I went to Howard Medicine , the tuition was $600 per year- now it is over $50,000.  What I tell my black patients is that after graduation they can join the Public Health Service for 3 years and ALL of that money borrowed would be forgiven.

Choice of school for pre-med-- If you are a black male you have a greater chance of getting into medical school is you do your undergrad work at Xavier in New Orleans, than Harvard-- many black female doctors I met were undergrads at Xavier and turned down scholarhips to Harvard, Yale, Penn and Stanford because of this fact.

Cuba has a full 7 year scholarship that cover pre med and medical school in Havana , that is  only for African- Americans-- they have to promise to go back to their communites in the states upon graduation-- the Congressional Black Caucus sponsors this program.  Cuba has one of the best health care systems in the world, and their infant mortality rate is lower than ours--

Offline Brother Tony

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
I've done 5 College Fairs in the past 2 weeks. I don't think any young brothers have mentioned Pre-Med/Med as a major. I'll double check my info cards to be 100%.
TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule