News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Gentlemen Baby Boomers - 50+  (Read 874 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Gentlemen Baby Boomers - 50+
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
Bruthas...........after church today, Mrs. Strike and I did our annual walk thru of the last day of Nashville's African Street Festival, held right down the street from our church right near Tenn State's campus. There is nothing particularly "unique" about Nashville's version of this this type of festival. It's the same as the ones held in your communities, replete with African vendors selling cocoa/Shea butter, questionable African trinkets, and food prepared in sanitary conditions that are suspect at best.  :lol:

But it's always a fun time just to interact with folks you know, and to take in the beauty of black folks, families and children, just enjoying the event in peace and harmony. And there was the standard trickling of a few white folks who seemed very much comfortable and at ease surrounded by all these black folks.

So I'm using my standard middle-aged negro man gait to absorb it all, and all of a sudden hear a brutha selling mix cd's playing some 70's Al Green. Man, I just stopped dead in my tracks, and had to listen to Al. I honestly had FORGOTTEN how pure and soulful his sound was. The brutha was playing Al's " For the Good Times". Man, that song brought back so many raw memories, I was in tears at the end.

I'm thinking of my man, Dog in Me, as I drop this post because he is one brutha on this board who, like me, talks about the raw emotions of baby boomer bruthas as we proceed thru these salad days of our lives.   :)

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemen Baby Boomers - 50+
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:42:18 AM »
Bro Strike I absolutely understand. A few times yesterday I repeatedly played the Main Ingredients "Rolling Down A Mountainside" in my car. I closed with Frank Sinatra featuring the Count Basie Orchestra "Fly me to the Moon"

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
Friday we sent my mother-in-law home. My wife was in the first integrated class to graduate from her high school and most of her black female classmates had already lost their mothers.

My best friend who was there for us, lost his mother 6 years ago. Most of my friends and classmates have lost one or both of their parents.

So yeah... being a baby boomer at this stage of life goes hand in hand with sentimental feelings and reflection. Some good like Strike, some sad. :(

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
Cholly -

My condolences to your family for the loss of your mother-in-law.

Strike -

Man, you killing me....getting all misty eyed thinking about that first slow drag in grade school to Al Green, Marvin Gaye...trying to slyly do things you knew nothing about......LOL.....

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
I forgot to mention that I too get more misty eyed than ever before in my life prior to reaching 50+

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
........oh, and did I forget to mention to you bruhs that the festival was held in a park directly across the street from the Frederick H. Humphries building on TSU's campus.  Of course that building is named after a former distinguished and revered president of BOTH TSU and FAMU.

So among the departments in the building is the Early Learning Center, the TSU kindergarten program.  Ms. Strike spent two years there, pre-K and K.  Your humble servant has CLEAR memories of the fall of 1994, walking her into the classroom, as tentative as she was.  I remember the pretty lil blue dress her mother put on her for the first day of school.  :)

Well, I thought Ms. Strike would be joining us at the festival.  But she indicated at the end of church service that she and her gentleman friend had "other plans".  So my desire to walk with my "little girl" thru the festival was scuttled.  Ever since her arrival in 1989, its always just been the three of us - me, Mrs. Strike and my little girl.  But now "dude" is more important in her life than Dad.  Have nothing against the young man, he actually seems VERY devoted to my daughter.  He's VERY solicitous of her every need.

But I gotta tell ya, THAT was on my mind yesterday as well.  I'm very proud and happy for my little girl that she seemingly has found a dude who is decent and respectful.  But she IS my little girl.  And now I must give way.

Lord, have mercy, let me stop before I start shedding tears again.  :'(

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »
I forgot to mention that I too get more misty eyed than ever before in my life prior to reaching 50+

I think as we get older and experience more, especially and including the loss of loved ones, we tend to appreciate even more the blessings that so many take for granted.  So many simple things delight me but that is nothing new for me. I find that some things I cannot take [viewing loved ones in caskets] and even the death of those I don't know, especially our young people, takes something out of me every time that I never get back.

I find joy in all of God's blessings, big and small as we may see them. I am honored and feel quite fortunate to have the friends that I have and to be uncle and godfather to their kids, seeing them born, grow and some are now grown...where does the time go.

Soooo many things, I just fully appreciate where as the 20+ yr old JT was much more care-free and unconcerned because at that time, I believed it would be as it always was....and death  for so many seemed soooo far away.

Count your blessings, y'all. Love your loved ones. My family includes many who are not blood relatives. 

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
WHEW!!!!..........man, you bruthas are KILLING me with your honesty, rawness and sincerity.

Awesome post^^^^^JT.  :clap:

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
........oh, and did I forget to mention to you bruhs that the festival was held in a park directly across the street from the Frederick H. Humphries building on TSU's campus.  Of course that building is named after a former distinguished and revered president of BOTH TSU and FAMU.

So among the departments in the building is the Early Learning Center, the TSU kindergarten program.  Ms. Strike spent two years there, pre-K and K.  Your humble servant has CLEAR memories of the fall of 1994, walking her into the classroom, as tentative as she was.  I remember the pretty lil blue dress her mother put on her for the first day of school.  :)

Well, I thought Ms. Strike would be joining us at the festival.  But she indicated at the end of church service that she and her gentleman friend had "other plans".  So my desire to walk with my "little girl" thru the festival was scuttled.  Ever since her arrival in 1989, its always just been the three of us - me, Mrs. Strike and my little girl.  But now "dude" is more important in her life than Dad.  Have nothing against the young man, he actually seems VERY devoted to my daughter.  He's VERY solicitous of her every need.

But I gotta tell ya, THAT was on my mind yesterday as well.  I'm very proud and happy for my little girl that she seemingly has found a dude who is decent and respectful.  But she IS my little girl.  And now I must give way.

Lord, have mercy, let me stop before I start shedding tears again.  :'(

I'm in that 60+ and surly shared the emotions and memories you now are experiencing. But STRIKE I have underlined a sentence you posted, that as a father of a daughter, you will always be important to your daughter. I don't know you personally but all indications you exhibit the mannerism which your daughter will love and respect you. Please don't do anything to cloud her outlook of you. Its ok for guys to cry.
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »
Strike and Sierra you both have touched on a very enlightening moment with my daughter. She is married now for a while and she told me her husband is so much like me. I was greatly moved by that and almost lost it. I gave all my children their first book to read and it was the auto of Malcolm X. My daughter told me she gave the same book to her son. Another WOW moment for me. I didn't know she was really looking at me like that.

Offline Twin Que ASU

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
Finally, a post I can relate to with my 'Boomer bosom buddies'. I too have been to many home goings too often of late with my friends parents passing.  Being just below the old speed limit, it is happening right at the posted speed.  One of my frat brothers and I were riding to NC to support another bro at his mom's home going.  Long story short, we listened to the 'Spinners Live' in route and the Manhattans to ease the uncomfortable journey.  All I can say is..........that was music!!!!  The ride became just a little more comfortable.       My recent 'Boomer' moment....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:58:01 AM by Twin Que ASU »
Friendship is Essential to the Soul
An HBCU Fan!!!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
Might I also add....I will still do all of the following:

CUT UP N' ACT UP,  HAVE FUN, and.......
CUT UP SOME MOE N' ACT UP SOME MOE

So far, none of the above has changed

;D 

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »
I like what Jay said. Some will say man I'm too old for that. Well, just last Saturday I did a flip in front of my youngest (24yr old) on the Jungle Jim bar at the park. Foot raced a 10 yr old and won and I still love cartoons(the older ones that is)

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
Finally, a post I can relate to with my 'Boomer bosom buddies'. I too have been to many home goings too often of late with my friends parents passing.  Being just below the old speed limit, it is happening right at the posted speed.  One of my frat brothers and I were riding to NC to support another bro at his mom's home going.  Long story short, we listened to the 'Spinners Live' in route and the Manhattans to ease the uncomfortable journey.  All I can say is..........that was music!!!!  The ride became just a little more comfortable.       My recent 'Boomer' moment....

Music.. YES it is!!
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
wait until you guys start approaching 70.  I am still doing a little teaching and have a class of Gen Xers. We have real talk about the "good old days" and church folks' selective memory loss. It has sparked the history buff in me to start collecting history moments on my Pinterest Site. It started modestly but has now gotten out of hand ( :lol:). I have particularly emphasized the contributed of our people, and the ugly that is glossed over when folks teach us history.

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News