News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: A&T vs Elon - This will be the last one for awhile  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
A&T vs Elon - This will be the last one for awhile
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
From the Burlington Times News: www.thetimesnews.com/article/20150915/SPORTS/150919379/15215/SPORTS

Aggies to end football series early with Elon

Teams will play Saturday, then break from matchups

By Adam Smith
Times-News
asmith@thetimesnews.com

Posted Sep. 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM
Updated Sep 15, 2015 at 2:10 PM

GREENSBORO — The Elon and North Carolina A&T football game scheduled for next year is off, meaning Saturday night’s matchup will be their last meeting for at least two years, and perhaps further into the future.

N.C. A&T asked out of the non-conference game, which was to have concluded a four-season deal between the nearby Football Championship Subdivision teams, in order to step up a level and play Tulsa in a guaranteed money game Sept. 17, 2016.

“We’ll try to pick that game back up at some point in the next couple years,” N.C. A&T athletics director Earl Hilton said Monday, referring to Elon. “But we haven’t nailed down the dates yet.”

Elon has added a game against Fayetteville State, a Division II program, for next year to fill the void created by the Aggies’ departure.

Elon’s schedules are full for 2016 and 2017 — with contracted non-league games vs. Gardner-Webb and at Charlotte next season and at Toledo, at Furman and vs. Charleston Southern the season after — so 2018 would be the earliest the Phoenix and N.C. A&T could renew their series.

Athletics director Dave Blank said Elon was understanding and agreed to be accommodating when N.C. A&T approached about calling off their meeting next season at Aggie Stadium, the final of four games between the teams in as many years.

“We took a little bit of a risk, but we didn’t want to stand in their way,” Blank said Monday. “So we told them that we were willing to free up that date to help them.

“It’s not an FCS game for us (against Fayetteville State). That was going to be hard to do. But still, it’s a home game, so that’s good news for our team and our fans.”

The move means N.C. A&T has back-to-back Football Bowl Subdivision opponents next September, trips to Kent State and Tulsa on consecutive weekends that will earn the Aggies about $650,000. Each game comes with a payday of approximately $325,000.

Division I programs such as Elon and N.C. A&T that reside in the lower-tiered FCS depend on windfalls such as those to help balance the budgets of their athletics departments.

Hilton said he first was contacted by an ESPN staffer, who informed him of a scheduling domino effect that had left Tulsa with an opening and presented N.C. A&T with the opportunity. Thus, the deal began to be brokered.

“It took a couple months to work it out,” Hilton said. “Love to have the experience for the kids to play against that competition. Certainly the money doesn’t hurt.”

Blank was clear in saying that the Phoenix wants to resume its series with N.C. A&T in some form.

The teams, separated by about 20 miles, will meet Saturday night at Elon for the 11th time in 17 seasons.

“Hopefully we can keep playing them,” Blank said. “We didn’t close the loop. We said we’re interested in continuing to play, let’s see what the future brings and maybe even start a new series or whatever makes sense. That’s kind of how we left it.”

Elon and N.C. A&T faced each other eight straight years from 1999-2006. They renewed what some call a neighboring rivalry in 2013 with the first game of what was supposed to be the current four-year contract.

The series has produced memorable moments and school milestones. In 2000, N.C. A&T’s first night game in Aggie Stadium history was played against Elon. A year later, N.C. A&T was the opponent when Elon opened Rhodes Stadium, then its new home on campus.

“We’ll get back together with A&T and see where it goes,” Blank said of potential discussions for later.

Hinton said, “We love playing Elon,” while expressing appreciation for his working relationships with Blank and Clay Hassard, one of Blank’s chief lieutenants.

But privately — and even publically, as was the custom of former football coach Bill Hayes — N.C. A&T officials have grumbled through the years about weak turnouts by Elon fans at Aggie Stadium. Conversely, N.C. A&T’s visits to Elon often have produced some of the biggest crowds at Rhodes Stadium.

N.C. A&T coach Rod Broadway replied, “I don’t care,” when asked Monday if he’d like to see the series with Elon sustained.

“It’s been good, though,” Broadway said. “It’s been a good game the couple years that we’ve played them. It’s close. It’s not a lot of money (on travel expenses), so it’s a good little game.”

A&T's future non-league football opponents

9/3 -  TBD

9/10 - @ Kent State

9/17 - @ Tulsa

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: A&T vs Elon - This will be the last one for awhile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
Why do you Aggies keep giving elon your money if they don't show at your place?

Offline aggiehood08

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »

I dont understand your comment. If it is a home and home series, why does it matter if they show up at our place? We should sell out our place with our fans. We, as hbcu, need to sell our own tickets to our own fans. Dont be like Dan Synder and try to sell tickets inspite of home field advantage.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »

because if we stopped playing elon for that reason, we'd have to stop playing a lot of hbcu's for that very same reason too.  not everybody can roll like we do and its not just pwc's.  

but we took "thousands" of more aggies to coastal carolina than coastal carolina brought to aggie stadium, we filled up ccu's entire visitors side and had a few on the home side too.  we ended our series with ccu this year, but it wasn't because ccu didn't bring as many fans to a&t as we took to ccu.

i think its asinine to base your schedule on how many fans your opponents bring to your stadium.  its not like we make a ton of money on visiting fans, even if they bring a couple of thousand.  i don't know where folks get this idea that hbcu's makes tons of money on visiting fans.  

half of the meac brings virtually "nobody" to aggie stadium except their football team when they play us.  we "always" take far more fans to schools like howard, morgan, hampton, dsu than they bring to aggie stadium.  so i don't see what the big deal is with elon.  nobody said a word about how many fans ccu brought to greensboro...

Offline Jeff Aggie Fan

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »
So which  North Carolina CIAA school would like to play us on 2016 Labor Day Weekend:

JC Smith
Shaw
St Aug
Chowan
Livingstone

Fay State, WSSU, and Eliz State are booked or already have 1 FCS school on the schedule for 2016

We could add a SIAC schools maybe?
Benedict
Morehouse
Lane
Kentucky State
Albany State
Fort Valley State

Fay State, WSSU, and Eliz State are booked or already have 1 FCS school on the schedule for 2016

There could be a chance we play in the MEAC/SWAC but that will only leave us with 4 Home games.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »
Was informed we are going back to MEAC / SWAC. I'm guessing our low attendance. Makes me no never mind. SCSU won't be back either.

Its Alcorn vs. someone.

I would love to play Benedict or Albany State to see their bands. Something tells me ol mother will be back again.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
So which  North Carolina CIAA school would like to play us on 2016 Labor Day Weekend:

JC Smith
Shaw
St Aug
Chowan
Livingstone

of the “available” ciaa schools you listed, i’d rather play shaw again or perhaps jcsu.  i also wouldn’t mind playing fayetteville state or ecsu, but they’re already apparently booked.  if my memory serves me correctly, i don’t think we’ve ever in our entire history loss a football game to fayetteville state, not even during our d2 years.

but heck, i thought playing shaw was pretty kool.  hadn’t seen them in greensboro in a very long time until this year.  i don’t personally have very much of a connection with the siac schools, so those schools are less appealing to me...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »
aggiehood08 & oleschoolaggie

I'm not implying to stop playing any school because they don't come to your stadium, but I sure wouldn't give them my money when we played at their yard.

the only reason you notice their fans don't come is because you don't fill it with your own folks, which is another topic, but you don't have the visit them either.

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 03:34:30 PM »

I'm not implying to stop playing any school because they don't come to your stadium, but I sure wouldn't give them my money when we played at their yard.

the only reason you notice their fans don't come is because you don't fill it with your own folks, which is another topic, but you don't have the visit them either.

Elon is a small school with a small fan base. They don't travel in large numbers anywhere. The value in playing them was having an fcs opponent that was close by. I'm being told we'll probably renew in four or five years.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

Elon is a small school with a small fan base. They don't travel in large numbers anywhere. The value in playing them was having an fcs opponent that was close by. I'm being told we'll probably renew in four or five years.

Ok...
for some reason we like analyze the business side of sports along side the plain competition of two teams battling one another.  Personally, I can do without all the financial analysis of who makes what and who doesn't.  That's not a sports topic to me, but a financial topic, but I digress.

it was noted that y'all noticed that elon didn't travel to g'boro it's only 20 or so miles.  the elon folk that will show in their stadium can certainly travel 20 miles to greensboro.  But since they don't I'm asking why do you aggies travel there and give them your money?

The game will be played, but you can reciprocate by not showing up in their stadium.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:34:00 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
When have white folk ever flocked to anything hosted by black people? We need to keep our money in house and support each other. Now that WSSU has hit rock bottom, you Aggies should play them. WSSU need to suck it up and realize  A&T is not going to give them a home game. Take half the gate and call it the day.   

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »

Ok...
for some reason we like analyze the business side of sports along side the just the plain competition of two teams battling one another.  Personally, I can do without all the financial analysis of who makes what and who doesn't.  That's not a sports topic to me, but a financial topic, but I digress.

it was noted that y'all noticed that elon didn't travel to g'boro it's only 20 or so miles.  the elon folk that will show in their stadium can certainly travel 20 miles to greensboro.  But since they don't I'm asking why do you aggies travel there and give them your money?

The game will be played, but you can reciprocate by not showing up in their stadium.

That's a fair question. I don't go to the games at Elon partly for that reason. A lot of others beleive it's more important to support the team and not get caught up in the financials. I only have a problem with Aggies who would attend this game but not show up for home games.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »

so just because elon doesn’t bring a lot of fans to our stadium, are you saying we shouldn’t fill their stadium when we play at elon even though we’re there to support our team?  so basically, you’re saying don’t support our team when we play at elon in “retaliation” for their fans not showing up in greensboro?  really?  now how much sense does that make?

and like i said previously, half the teams in the meac bring fewer fans to greensboro than elon does.  should we stop playing those meac teams too?

man, its not that big of a deal.  again, what if elon brought 3,000 or even 5,000 fans to aggie stadium?  do you really think that’s gonna make a dent in our football budget?

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »

so just because elon doesn’t bring a lot of fans to our stadium, are you saying we shouldn’t fill their stadium when we play at elon even though we’re there to support our team?  so basically, you’re saying don’t support our team when we play at elon in “retaliation” for their fans not showing up in greensboro?  really?  now how much sense does that make?

............."

it makes a lot of sense / CENTS. but since you can't see it keep doing what you're doin'.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
When have white folk ever flocked to anything hosted by black people? We need to keep our money in house and support each other. Now that WSSU has hit rock bottom, you Aggies should play them. WSSU need to suck it up and realize  A&T is not going to give them a home game. Take half the gate and call it the day.  

coach broadway ain’t concerned about how many fans our opponents bring to our stadium, nor should he.  he schedules our games based on the best interests of our football program and how many fans our opponents bring to our stadium has nothing to do with that.

man, i’m tellin’ ya’ll.  too many of our folk have an “us against them” mentality that’s counterproductive is not all out “destructive” to the advancement of our schools.  5,000 visiting fans is a “drop in the bucket” as far as the total revenue needed for our program.  

its no big deal.  we “paid” chowan to play their team in greensboro last year.  do you really think it mattered how many fans chowan brought to our stadium?

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News