News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: GAME NOTES: NCCU Football Hosts St. Augustine's (Sept. 5, 6 p.m.)  (Read 4481 times)

Offline EAGLEMANIA2K

• Assistant GM
  • EAGLEMANIA SOARING IN THE MEAC BABY! EAGLE PRIDE!!
    • View Profile
Re: GAME NOTES: NCCU Football Hosts St. Augustine's (Sept. 5, 6 p.m.)
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
St. Aug in an upset:

SU -21
NCCU - 14

Just because you all lost to UNC-P, please do not put us in that boat with you all. I tell  you those rams do not want to go down on that sinking ship by themselves!!! :lol: :lmao: If I am not mistaken some Ram supporter said the same for those aggies.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:07:33 AM by EAGLEMANIA2K »
Wearing the colors of Maroon & Gray its, "THE DIRTY BIRDS" of N.C.C.U. EAGLE PRIDE AMPLIFIDE!!
2016-MEAC CHAMPS, Celebration Bowl Appearance, 2015, 2014  MEAC Football Co-CHAMPS, 2015-NIT, 2014 MEAC B-ball champs, NCAA appearance, BRINGING FINESSE, POWER AND EXCITEMENT TO THE M.E.A.C.!!!

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
Eagles not overlooking St. Augustine’s in season-opener
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/eagles-not-overlooking-st-augustine-s-in-season-opener/article_6f253dd2-5376-11e5-bfd6-63d7f54ab550.html

Brooke Pryor

DURHAM — On paper, N.C. Central’s season-opening game against Division-II opponent St. Augustine’s (6 p.m., NCCUEaglePride.com) should be a cakewalk.

The Falcons, who went 3-7 last season, are seeking their first win against a Division I opponent, and NCCU, a defending MEAC co-champion, returns 51 lettermen to the Falcons’ 30. NCCU also holds a 27-2-1 record in the series.

But in 2013, the Falcons marched into O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium and nearly stole one from the Eagles, leading until late in the game when then-quarterback Jordan Reid threw a touchdown pass with seconds left to force overtime. NCCU eventually won that contest 23-20 in double overtime.

“It was one of those games that some of the young men feel like they took for granted,” coach Jerry Mack said. “They didn't go out there and execute the game plan well. They allowed the other team to hang around throughout the second and third quarters and when you give anybody that kind of momentum, you're going to be in a dogfight at the end.”

Reid, now an offensive assistant for the Eagles remembers the game well. Junior quarterback Malcolm Bell and senior defensive back C.J. Moore were on the sideline for that game and watched on as Reid added another touchdown to force the second overtime and Oleg Parent made a 19-yard field goal to win.

“From what I remember from that game, it was a lot of taking people for granted,” Moore said, echoing his coach. “You come in and you take a team like that for granted, and they're going to come in ready. They're still well coached and any time you play a team that's well coached and prepares hard, they're going to have a chance to beat you.

“I just remember they ran the ball well. Their defense was attacking our offense and gave our offense a lot of problems. It was a tough day. The game was longer than we expected.”

The game, which lasted 3 hours 40 minutes, is still talked about and used as an example throughout the program. With a lack of film on St. Augustine’s, NCCU must rely on tape from the last couple of years, including the infamous 2013 meeting. Many of the players on the team now, including starting running back Idreis Augustus were on the field in the 2013 game. Augustus led the team with 66 yards on 14 carries in that game, including a long rush of 23 yards.

On the other side of the ball, NCCU had trouble stopping the Falcons’ ground game and allowed Roderick Davenport to run for 94 yards on 15 carries, including an explosive run of 49 yards.

Davenport, an All-CIAA selection after leading the conference in rushing last season, will anchor St. Augustine’s ground game once again Saturday afternoon.

But this time around, NCCU is prepared for the attack.

“It's one of those things because you have to respect anyone that lines up in front of you, and I don't think we did that a few years ago,” Moore said. “Now we're really respecting them like we should. They've got some good players over there. They've got a good running back and can run the ball really well. They're a well coached team and we’ll see a lot of play action.”

Since that game, a lot has changed around NCCU’s program — new coach, new quarterback, new defensive scheme. But one thing remains a constant after an almost calamitous start to the 2013 season: no team, no matter the size, record or division, should be overlooked.

“They're still the same team and they're still the same school,” Reid said. “Being that we're an FCS I-AA team, they're going to come in here hungry with that extra motivation being that they're a Division II team. We've got that target on our back.”

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »
Southern 39-28  and it was not that close.

Hillside is in for a major butt whipping on Friday night when they come to Greensboro to play Dudley High.

NOT!  Go Hornets!
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
St. Aug in an upset:

SU -21
NCCU - 14

Just because you all lost to UNC-P, please do not put us in that boat with you all. I tell  you those rams do not want to go down on that sinking ship by themselves!!! :lol: :lmao: If I am not mistaken some Ram supporter said the same for those aggies.

Lighten up, what do you think your rivals should say, regardless of who ya'll play. I am sure you will beat them again this year.
Besides, picking a fellow CIAA member over an rival makes perfect sense to me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:41:52 PM by Ram55 »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 08:12:45 AM »
NCCU didn't play a rival today.  Just a fellow HBCU, not a rival.   

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »
"CBS Quality Cars presents the post game highlights and interviews from North Carolina Central University's big 72-0 win over Saint Augustine's on Saturday, Sept. 5." =+= View More @

Take Care!

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 09:57:40 PM »
Nice highlights! 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
"CBS Quality Cars presents the post game highlights and interviews from North Carolina Central University's big 72-0 win over Saint Augustine's on Saturday, Sept. 5." =+= View More @

Take Care!

I like the gray helmets. NCCUs sports info is great!  :clap:

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »

Hillside is in for a major butt whipping on Friday night when they come to Greensboro to play Dudley High.

Major butt whipping?  Doubtful .......

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 01:24:25 AM »

The scores from Dudley's first 3 games are:

Dudley 42  - WS Carver 7
Dudley 48  - Ragsdale 7
Dudley 56  - Davie County 14

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »

Dudley 42  - WS Carver 7
Dudley 48  - Ragsdale 7

???
keep dreaming.

Offline POINT GUARD

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »
Nation, I do believe we got ourselves a coach and a football team.  We did what was to be expected and much, much more.  How we fare against Duke might give us a gage as to how far we have come as a DI football program.  I think we will do far better than we did when we last played them.  So far, Mack has proven a better coach than our last two coaches; I just wonder how long we will be able to keep him in Durham. 

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

Dudley 42  - WS Carver 7
Dudley 48  - Ragsdale 7

???
keep dreaming.

I will text you Friday night after the drubbing.   There are some NCCU fans coming to Greensboro on Friday because they are Hillside grads.  I told them on Saturday what to expect.

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
Nation, I do believe we got ourselves a coach and a football team.  We did what was to be expected and much, much more.  How we fare against Duke might give us a gage as to how far we have come as a DI football program.  I think we will do far better than we did when we last played them.  So far, Mack has proven a better coach than our last two coaches; I just wonder how long we will be able to keep him in Durham. 

I do believe we will do better against Duke than in any of our previous games with them (I am not saying we will win).  FIU is going to be tougher than some of us expected.  They have a new coaching staff and they beat UCF last Thursday night.

Lets not start the talk about long will Jerry Mack stay in Durham.  Let's just go along for the ride that he will take us on.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
Saw Duke and Florida International on the tube.  Duke is sharp at QB with speed at receivers.  Duke is a bowl eligible team, national recruiter, and very well coached. FIU beat Univ of Central Florida which is a major institution too.  You have to play this type to see where you are in your development and expectations.  The main thing is to come out of these game healthy because, our guys don't fear, but respect these top division teams.  They know many of Duke  current squad through interactions with the same medical staff and facilities at Duke Sport Medicine.  I will be there.  Some asked did we run the score up on St Aug?. No. Coached used his bench and  everybody participated except the red shirts not dressing. St Aug could not stop our team and they appeared tired from NCCU platooning fresh bodies throughout the game. We just wore them out.  Don't let the score fool you.  They got talent and will win some games. I saw some bright spots and fight to the end.  This could be good because teams will think they can't play. Watch out! St Aug controlled the ball most of the game. 

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News