News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: UNC deserves the Death Penalty!  (Read 944 times)

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
UNC deserves the Death Penalty!
« on: August 14, 2015, 03:39:34 PM »
UNC uncovers more potential violations in academic scandal

We all know that if that was one of our schools.....they'd be banned for life!!

============

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina uncovered possibly additional NCAA violations in women's basketball and men's soccer while preparing the response to its long-running academic scandal, the school announced Friday.

Its response to the NCAA, due next week, has been delayed. The NCAA will set a date after a review of the new information, school officials said.

During a 20-minute conference call with reporters, athletic director Bubba Cunningham twice referred to the school's ongoing effort to "earn back trust."

"As painful as it is, it's part of the Carolina culture that we want to know what happened, we want to understand it, we want to fix it," he said.

Cunningham said the new information in women's basketball was discovered when officials prepared to release emails from former U.S. Justice Department official Kenneth Wainstein's eight-month investigation. In their review of up to 6 million pages of information, they uncovered more examples of possible improper academic assistance to players.

They also discovered potential recruiting violations over two years in men's soccer that were unrelated to the current NCAA probe.

"I'm very disappointed in the timing. I'm very disappointed in the impact it's going to have on the institution, on the program and how it delays where we were," Cunningham said. "But I'm proud of the fact that people owned up to the mistakes that happened."

He said those possible violations came to light when the school administered a compliance test to its men's soccer coaches and one of them got a question wrong.

The AD didn't identify the coach and declined to disclose additional details because the investigation is ongoing.

"We came to understand the coaches misunderstood the rules, and we immediately turned that in," Cunningham said.

Under NCAA procedures, if those are determined to be Level I or II violations, the notice of allegations must be amended to include them. The school would then have 90 days from the day it receives the amended notice to respond, Cunningham said.

It is unclear exactly when the new possible violations were discovered. The school says they were reported to the NCAA's committee on infractions on Aug. 10.

Cunningham said he still hopes the investigation will be resolved by spring 2016.

The NCAA's notice of allegations included five charges, outlining a lack of institutional control and four other potential Level I violations, which are described as a "severe breach of conduct."

The NCAA regarded issues surrounding academic irregularities within the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) department as potential improper benefits by saying athletes received "special arrangements," such as access to courses and other assistance generally unavailable to non-athletes.

The lack of institutional control focused on the AFAM department and the academic support program for athletes, including the conduct of a women's basketball adviser for providing too much help on assignments. Without getting too specific, Cunningham described the new information in women's basketball as "more of the same."

No coaches were charged by the NCAA, and when asked about the possibility of coaching changes, Cunningham called it "speculative."

"But I will say I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff," he added.

The academic investigation grew out a 2010 investigation into the football program, with the committee issuing sanctions in March 2012 in that case about nine months after the notice of allegations arrived.

"We are fully cooperating with the NCAA and continue to work with them to bring closure to this long, arduous process," Cunningham said.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: UNC deserves the Death Penalty!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
Yeah they do. Cause it was athletic department wide

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
I am a Tar Heel fan, but this is beyond ridiculous.  Slap them with LOIC and four years; so they can recover and move on.  This "investigation" has been on-going for five years now.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
I am a Tar Heel fan, but this is beyond ridiculous.  Slap them with LOIC and four years; so they can recover and move on.  This "investigation" has been on-going for five years now.

That's nothing but a proverbial slap on the wrist.  The investigation is 5 years old.  How long has these misappropriations been going on?  The hit USC Football hard....but this is much deeper, far reaching and wide spread than USC Football ever was.....I'm sorry, 4 years isn't nearly severe enough.  They had the administration covering up as well.  This thing is flat out rotten at the very core, WileE

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »
We all know that UNC will not get the death penalty.  However, I thihk that they may have reduced scholarship and major limitations placed throughout the entire department.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 01:25:56 AM »
Damn all that and leave UNC alone. They reported the potential violations. It's sad because every major university in America has done, is doing and will do what UNC has been getting crucified for. The only difference between UNC and other schools is that UNC got caught.

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:49:16 AM »
Damn all that and leave UNC alone. They reported the potential violations. It's sad because every major university in America has done, is doing and will do what UNC has been getting crucified for. The only difference between UNC and other schools is that UNC got caught.

Yup, that's my problem with APR. it's always the smaller schools while the BCS schools do what the hell they want to do. That's why I don't fool with BCS level sports anymore. Knowing some of these kids, it's appalling.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »

Drumma, please read the obvious inconsistencies in your above statement.  First you say they reported themselves, then you turn around a say they got caught.  Which is it?

There are obvious levels of severity and coverup involved.  I think UNC went to the extreme in both.  It's one thing to break rules, it's yet another to go to extreme lengths to cover it up....then expect leniency by saying it was self reported.

Bump that, you know damn well if all of that went down at your beloved JSU, y'all asses would be sub NAIA by the time the NCAA got done with y'all.....

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »

Drumma, please read the obvious inconsistencies in your above statement.  First you say they reported themselves, then you turn around a say they got caught.  Which is it?

There are obvious levels of severity and coverup involved.  I think UNC went to the extreme in both.  It's one thing to break rules, it's yet another to go to extreme lengths to cover it up....then expect leniency by saying it was self reported.

Bump that, you know damn well if all of that went down at your beloved JSU, y'all asses would be sub NAIA by the time the NCAA got done with y'all.....

My point is the NCAA and it's rules are bogus, regardless of which division your school is in.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 12:52:08 AM »
Thank you Drumma. :'(
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 01:24:03 AM »
Carolina has been cheating for years.  I could tell you stories dating back to when James Worthy played basketball in the early 1980s.   I hope the NCAA throws the book at UNC-CH and gives them the death penalty.   

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:07 AM »
Give them the death penalty.   SACS needs to get involved as well. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News