News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Does Your HBCU Sell Replica Jerseys of Former Player Greats?  (Read 3448 times)

Offline 804ram07

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Does Your HBCU Sell Replica Jerseys of Former Player Greats?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
I could've sworn we sold Earl the Pearl's jersey in the bookstore several years ago at WSSU

Would be good to have Cleo Hill, Yancy Thigpen.. heck, even Big House Gaines jerseys sold on-campus

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »
I could've sworn we sold Earl the Pearl's jersey in the bookstore several years ago at WSSU

Would be good to have Cleo Hill, Yancy Thigpen.. heck, even Big House Gaines jerseys sold on-campus

I saw Pearl's jersey about 10 years ago.

Offline DES

• Assistant GM
  • SH*T TALKER BUT IT'S ALL LOVE !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »

Probably so thats when throwbacks were big

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
So, why don't we? Is there some sort of legality in not doing so?

that's all...  ???

That's the same thing I was wondering?

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »
I use to sell this kind of stuff a few years ago. The problem is that you have to purchase so many items from the manufacturer to make it feasible.  The larger schools have more outlets to sell their merchandise, and that is why they are selling them in the malls. I even tried putting my products on consignment, in stores around town, including the mall, and very little sold. We think that people would buy our stuff, but they won't. Most of us would complain about the high cost that's associated with the lack of volume needed to make it work cheaply.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »
Decks and '87 Alum, now you have caught my interest. I will have to find out and makes some phone calls at the university that's in the know. If we were able to sell replica jerseys of our legends, we wouldn't keep them in stock on our campus.

that's all... 

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
So, why don't we? Is there some sort of legality in not doing so?

that's all...  ???

That's the same thing I was wondering?

i think the fact that many of the bcs schools were selling school jerseys with their star players’ number and name on the jerseys making them tons of money, but the players got “nothing” in return is part of the reason why “fcoa” came about. 

i think its okay to sell the players’ jerseys with their number on it, but without their name on it.  but if you put their name on it, you could “possibly” leave yourself open to a potential lawsuit...

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »
Most of us would complain about the high cost that's associated with the lack of volume needed to make it work cheaply.

Truf Bomb for 55 please...we would complain if they were more than $25... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
Most of us would complain about the high cost that's associated with the lack of volume needed to make it work cheaply.

Truf Bomb for 55 please...we would complain if they were more than $25... :nod:

They would be far more than $25... more like $100 plus. The price would depend on how many are made. Remember, many vendors selling at our games are not selling licensed merchandise. NFL replicas are more than $70. And they print thousands of them to sell nation wide. Bookstores would have to purchase licensed gear or they would get in trouble. Our fan base would not allow the numbers needed for print.

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »
Oops, I did just find a #22 (Maurice Hicks) jersey on A&T's online bookstore. It just doesn't have the name across the back. There is customization option where you can select a number and have the name printed across the back. Price starts at $49. Very reasonable.

This appears to be sort of a print on demand service?

http://www.ncataggiesgear.com/north_carolina_a_and_t_aggies__jerseys__mens
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:22:02 PM by Decks »

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »
Haven't been since Walmart started selling our stuff but I don't believe our bookstore sells jersey. 
AAMU SIAC FB Champs 7, SWAC FB Champs 2 NCAA DI & DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs '21, D2 Blk Nat Swimming and Diving Champs 82-87 SWAC Men's Tennis Champs 21

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »

I know they would be more than $25 - I just picked that number because the majority of us don't want to pay for anything... :no:

Teeny and Little

Online cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 11:48:34 PM »
No John Stallworth stuff for us either!
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Onnidan Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »
We've tried to make HBCU gear available through a "process on demand" company under the banner of HBCUFanNation.  If you go to our composite football schedule, and click on a school's schedule, you will see a banner at the top which takes you to a website where you can purchase customized gear for a particular school.

The big problem is licensing.  Many schools have not licensed their logos making companies hesitant to stock inventory.  It also prevents schools from earning some revenue from the sale of their licensed images.

The second problem is a perceived low volume of potential purchasers.  We've been doing our setup for two years and have had a total of 14 orders from nearly 2600 visits.  Fortunately we don't have to stock inventory to offset the .005 percentage response.

As Ram55 noted --- I even tried putting my products on consignment, in stores around town, including the mall, and very little sold. We think that people would buy our stuff, but they won't. Most of us would complain about the high cost that's associated with the lack of volume needed to make it work cheaply.

As in other experiences, talk is not often backed up with action.
=OW=

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »

I know they would be more than $25 - I just picked that number because the majority of us don't want to pay for anything... :no:

I knew what you were saying, and you are 100% right. I had the hardest time selling items at regular price. We were always looking for a deal.  :lol:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule