News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: When We Attack Serena Williams' Body, It's Really About Her Blackness  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile

A New York Times article about body image in competitive tennis became the catalyst for a debate this week about the harmful ways in which the media discusses Serena Williams' body. But just so we're clear, this isn't just about how Williams' muscular physique sets her apart from her white counterparts. It's about the way black women -- world-class athletes or otherwise -- find themselves continuously othered and compared to white women, no matter what they do or how they look.

Williams has been breaking records (and barriers) in the tennis world since she first entered it as a teen, winning her 21st Grand Slam on Saturday. And yet, despite her athletic prowess, she has been the target of racist and sexist attacks for the better part of a decade. Over the years, Williams has been described by online commenters and journalists alike as a "gorilla," as "manly" and as "savage." 

The disrespect hurled at Williams, much of it focused on her body, has been rampant -- even among her peers. In 2012, tennis player Caroline Wozniacki stuffed her bra and shorts to imitate Williams during an exhibition match against Maria Sharapova. The crowd and commentators at the match laughed, while outlets like Yahoo! Sports described the incident as "hilarious." (Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic have also imitated Williams' physique in the past.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/serena-williams-policing-of-black-bodies_55a3bef4e4b0a47ac15ccc00?utm_hp_ref=black-voices

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
JK Rowlings gave a brilliant response to one of those idiots that tried that crap on her blog.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline KnuckDogg

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
The media states that Serena is "manly" looking, but yet the same media portrays Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner  as beautiful. The FRACK?!?!?  :shrug:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
The problem is that Serena gets better as she gets older - as Jack Nicholson said, they "can't handle the truth!"

Teeny and Little

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
The media states that Serena is "manly" looking, but yet the same media portrays Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner  as beautiful. The FRACK?!?!?  :shrug:

::)  The Frack INDEED, Punchy.. see, that's that bullchit that really pisses me the fugg OFF! You wanna praise Jenner for altering himself physically, not to mention those who pay $$$$ to get lip injections for full lips like ours, round bootays like ours, thickness here and there like ours, yet you want to ridicule OURS...really? 

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
You are all right about what you are saying, but you do have to admit that she does look very "strong".  :lol: I she is one of only a few women I would not f@#$ with, and neither would most of you.  :nod:

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
You are all right about what you are saying, but you do have to admit that she does look very "strong".  :lol: I she is one of only a few women I would not f@#$ with, and neither would most of you.  :nod:

I have no earthly idea what you're talking about....you are playing directly into the traditional stereotypical angles.  They've consistently hated on Venus and Serena from day one because they broke each and every stereotype and grandeur ideology on what a tennis champion should look like.

You obviously weren't as smart as the ewe on the left....

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Da'House!
    • View Profile
You are all right about what you are saying, but you do have to admit that she does look very "strong".  :lol: I she is one of only a few women I would not f@#$ with, and neither would most of you.  :nod:

She's extremely toned like many women who do body-sculpting and/or body-building. Who would or wouldn't line up for her is irrelevant as she has numerous men [and I'm sure some women too] salivating after all of that toned chocolate  ;D The bullchit comes in praising a Bruce Jenner for looking so ladylike [heyal, so does RuPaul when he wants to] while trying to throw shade on this sista.  But..I digress.  ;)

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
White Americans can and will never admit they are inferior to black folks in anything. Notice how they are so happy Tiger is losing.
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
You are all right about what you are saying, but you do have to admit that she does look very "strong".  :lol: I she is one of only a few women I would not f@#$ with, and neither would most of you.  :nod:

I have no earthly idea what you're talking about....you are playing directly into the traditional stereotypical angles.  They've consistently hated on Venus and Serena from day one because they broke each and every stereotype and grandeur ideology on what a tennis champion should look like.

You obviously weren't as smart as the ewe on the left.... right.

Brother, everything is not race related, something’s are just mother nature finding away to make men and women attractive to each other. A fine women is fine, no matter what race she is.

Please read my post again. You are talking about two different subjects. One is her ability as an athlete and the other is her looks.

There is no doubt that she is the best in the tennis world. And there is no doubt that "to me" she is not that feminine looking either. I would agree that the announcers should not comment on her looks, just because they can't find anything wrong with her game. But just because she is this great tennis player don't mean that she is somehow this great sex symbol either. If a man had female features, he would not be considered by females, as being this great sex symbol either.

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: When We Attack Serena Williams' Body, It's Really About Her Blackness
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »
She's not that feminine looking?  :crazy:

What makes Serena not that feminine looking?

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »

I have no earthly idea what you're talking about....you are playing directly into the traditional stereotypical angles.  They've consistently hated on Venus and Serena from day one because they broke each and every stereotype and grandeur ideology on what a tennis champion should look like.

Brother, everything is not race related, something’s are just mother nature finding away to make men and women attractive to each other. A fine women is fine, no matter what race she is.

Please read my post again. You are talking about two different subjects. One is her ability as an athlete and the other is her looks.

There is no doubt that she is the best in the tennis world. And there is no doubt that "to me" she is not that feminine looking either. I would agree that the announcers should not comment on her looks, just because they can't find anything wrong with her game. But just because she is this great tennis player don't mean that she is somehow this great sex symbol either. If a man had female features, he would not be considered by females, as being this great sex symbol either.

Yawn....my post isn't about her race. As a matter of fact, I intentionally left out race to see if you would tangentially reference it. I was speaking directly at the stereotypes of their physicality and body types - not race. Most hated on their physique, body type, physical style of play, et al.

As for your other comments.....you're a bit obtuse of center, but are entitled to your very own belief system & substructure.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »

I have no earthly idea what you're talking about....you are playing directly into the traditional stereotypical angles.  They've consistently hated on Venus and Serena from day one because they broke each and every stereotype and grandeur ideology on what a tennis champion should look like.

Yawn....my post isn't about her race. As a matter of fact, I intentionally left out race to see if you would tangentially reference it. I was speaking directly at the stereotypes of their physicality and body types - not race. Most hated on their physique, body type, physical style of play, et al.

As for your other comments.....you're a bit obtuse of center, but are entitled to your very own belief system & substructure.

You inferred race in your comments,  at least that is what I thought you were talking about. Like I said, she is an outstanding tennis player, but for me, she is too masculine.  Whether or not we agree on her sex appeal, I too think that the announcers should leave her looks out of their conversation about her tennis.

You can have her, but give me a Beyonce type any-day.  :nod:

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
I inferred nothing.  You made an incorrect assumption.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
I inferred nothing.  You made an incorrect assumption.

Then I apologize and sorry for the misunderstanding.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule