News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Melissa Harris-Perry show on MSNBC/Charleston Massacre  (Read 1081 times)

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Melissa Harris-Perry show on MSNBC/Charleston Massacre
« on: June 20, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
Cholly, FAMUGAL, 92SSU, Que and ALL OTHERS who are either fans of the MHP show on MSNBC AND/OR  have been participating in the various threads on the Charleston massacre................

Guys, if you didn't see her show this morning - Weekends, 9-11am (CDT) - run don't walk to your favorite device to access the internet and watch it.  As you might well expect, she spent about 75% or so of the show covering the murder of our people last Wednesday nite in Charleston.

Man, Melissa and her guests were ANGRY when the show first started.  Melissa was so pissed off at this latest episode of the KILLINGS of black folks that I thought she was going to blow a gasket.  She calmed down as the show progressed, but then she was so distraught that she was on the verge of tears.  :'(

At the very end of the show, she did a tribute to each of the nine victims.  She said something very nice about each of them and displayed their photos as she was reading tributes.  She stated something in that ending piece that I had not heard before this morning.  The youngest victim, 27yr old bruh named Tywanza Sanders (sp?), was apparently killed when he tried to shield his aunt from being hit by the bullets.  The aunt was also killed. Please forgive me, but her name escapes me right now.  Melissa could barely finish the tribute she was in tears.

Also among the guests this morning was Lucy McBath, the mother of Jordan Davis, the young teenaged black boy killed in Jacksonville by the scum who was complaining about the music Jordan and his boys were playing in the car next to his.  Man, this woman has so much strength, class and dignity that it just inspires you to no end.  :clap:

Look, guys, PLEASE see the show.  It may already be archived on MHP's website.  And, if so, if someone more technologically savvy than your humble poster would please post the link on this thread, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Cholly

• Assistant GM
  • ^Oldshits, DUMBASSwh?y & mrwh?yershits Prez & Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Melissa Harris-Perry show on MSNBC/Charleston Massacre
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
Yes... I watched KNOWING she would focus on Charleston.

She was VERY emotional at times, struggling to maintain her composure and professorial demeanor throughout the 2 hours. It's to her credit that she was successful given both the topic AND the climate in which we live...just one of the reasons
I love her so much.

BTW Joy Reid was on Bill Mahr last night and SHE got hot with that psychotic idiot ann coulter after an anti immigrant rant.

I WISH Joy had pointed out that it was just such hate speech that inspires people to go into churches and gun down folk in prayer, but she missed it because coulter had attacked her heritage.

Still, I LOVE those women... and they are media treasures for us.

^^^SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
I have looked at a couple of the snippets on the web site.  Will give my thoughts as soon as I can watch them all.  I will say I thought her lead in was powerful.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Online EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
We Speak Their Names | HBCU Alumni Killed in Charleston Massacre

Posted on June 18, 2015 by CRYSTAL A. DEGREGORY, PH.D.

On the night of Wednesday, June 17, 2015, a now-confessed white gunman,Dylann Roof, sat in the bible study of Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston, South Carolina for almost an hour before opening fire on attendees, killing nine people. CNN reported that Roof’s father recently bought the younger Roff a .45-caliber gun for his 21st birthday. Citing survivors of the shooting, Sylvia Johnson, the cousin of the church’s pastor the Reverend Clementa C. Pinckney, who was killed in the attack, said the gunman told them: “You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.”

Offline aggiejazz

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »
I saw the snippet where the Charleston white judge asked the public to think about the killer's family, too, because they are victims as much as the fallen victims' family.   What racist BS.  I spent a lot of time in Charleston during the mid 1990's to early 2000's.  This city has a lot of racial complexities that are masked beneath those smiling faces.

Offline GALFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • POODAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 11:52:12 PM »
Thanks for the synopsis Strike79.

I missed MHP this morning...but I am going to watch it later today.

I can imagine much of #nerdland  was tuned in this morinng to watch the program.
I am not competing with anyone but myself.
I simply want to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:42:26 AM »
I saw the snippet where the Charleston white judge asked the public to think about the killer's family, too, because they are victims as much as the fallen victims' family.   What racist BS.  I spent a lot of time in Charleston during the mid 1990's to early 2000's.  This city has a lot of racial complexities that are masked beneath those smiling faces.

So the killer's family, who most likely influenced his hatred of Blacks are now victims?  This judge has a history of bullchit in regards to race but the fact that he is in the position he is in is no surprise to me. Many of these judges echo his sentiments and probably worse.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News