News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: MSNBC Host Makes Fun of Mitt Romney’s Black Grandson  (Read 2276 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
MSNBC Host Makes Fun of Mitt Romney’s Black Grandson
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »
Full story

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry concluded the “What’s So Funny About 2013?” segment of her Sunday show with a chorus of laughter at the black grandson pictured in former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s family Christmas photo. The chuckles were directed at baby Kieran – who was adopted by Romney’s son Ben and his wife Andelynne in September.

“One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just isn’t the same,” panelist Pia Glenn offered as a caption for the photo, which the Romneys tweeted on Christmas Eve. (Lyrics of the original Sesame Street song are, “One of these things just doesn’t belong.”)

“And that little baby, front and center, would be the one,” Glenn said.

Comedian Dean Obeidallah joked that the baby is a token.

“It really sums up the diversity of the Republican party and the RNC, where they have the whole convention and they find the one black person.”

Conservative blogs on Monday roundly criticized MSNBC and the panelists for the segment. Commentator Caleb Howe wrote tongue-in-cheek on The Right Scoop: “He’s not a child adopted by loving parents prepared to provide him with a better life in keeping with the family’s values. Nope. He’s just a token. A punchline, not a person.”

Harris-Perry and other panelists have thus far remained mum.

Ironically, the segment ends by teasing the next block, an annual “’Look Back in Laughter’ tradition of asking ‘Hey – Was That Racist?’”
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Re: MSNBC Host Makes Fun of Mitt Romney’s Black Grandson
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
Melissa Harris-Perry was wrong. That is why she apologized.

MSNBC's Harris-Perry apologizes for mocking Romney over black grandchild

Harris-Perry apologized on Twitter, shortly after a demand by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus that she do so for her "disgusting" comments.

"I apologize to all families built on loving transracial adoptions who feel I degraded their lives or choices," she wrote.

"As black child born into large white Mormon family I feel familiarity w/ Romney family pic & never meant to suggest otherwise.

"Therefore, while I meant no offense, I want to immediately apologize to the Romney family for hurting them."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/31/no-joke-msnbc-mitt-romney-and-black-child/

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
How is a black person born into a mormon family period? They didnt even think blacks were people until like 1980.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
Yes, that is about right.

The original revelation that plural marriage was endorsed by God was replaced by a "new" revelation when the US govt began to put extreme pressure on the LDS Church.

The original revelation that Negroes were not complete humans with enough of a soul to be "priests" in the LDS Church was replaced by a "new" revelation to the church's leader when - after a hundred years or so - perceptions and beliefs by the American people changed in regard to the essential humanity of Black people.

Coincidental, I am sure.  #Sarcasm
O0

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
How is a black person born into a mormon family period? They didnt even think blacks were people until like 1980.

I believe that Melissa Harris' mother was a White woman who had left the Mormon church after a failed marriage:

Melissa Harris-Perry

My mother is the fourth of five children born into a working class family at the end of WWII. She is descended from Mormon pioneers who pushed handcarts across the American west. A white woman in a Mormon family, my mom was raised in the racially homogenous enclave of Spokane, Washington and in 1960 went off to college at Brigham Young University. People are typically incredulous when I share this part of my mother’s biography. After all, if they know me as an outspoken, progressive, feminist, black woman, it might be hard to believe that I am the daughter of someone with these beginnings.....

Mom left the Mormon Church after a failed first marriage left her a single mother and sole breadwinner. Mom moved to a city, enrolled in graduate school in sociology, and eventually met and fell in love with my dad, a black man who grew up in Jim Crow Virginia.

http://nocountryforyoungwomen.com/2011/05/mothers-day-special-melissa-harris-perry/

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »

I believe that Melissa Harris' mother was a White woman who had left the Mormon church after a failed marriage:

Melissa Harris-Perry

My mother is the fourth of five children born into a working class family at the end of WWII. She is descended from Mormon pioneers who pushed handcarts across the American west. A white woman in a Mormon family, my mom was raised in the racially homogenous enclave of Spokane, Washington and in 1960 went off to college at Brigham Young University. People are typically incredulous when I share this part of my mother’s biography. After all, if they know me as an outspoken, progressive, feminist, black woman, it might be hard to believe that I am the daughter of someone with these beginnings.....

Mom left the Mormon Church after a failed first marriage left her a single mother and sole breadwinner. Mom moved to a city, enrolled in graduate school in sociology, and eventually met and fell in love with my dad, a black man who grew up in Jim Crow Virginia.

http://nocountryforyoungwomen.com/2011/05/mothers-day-special-melissa-harris-perry/

Yes, MHP's mother grew up Mormon.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
Wow! Her dad must have been super dark. She doesnt even look mixed.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:35 PM »

::)

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

I didnt mean that offensively.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:34 PM »

Yeah, I know  ::)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »

WHAT did you mean?
O0

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

WHAT did you mean?
O0

I would like to know too>>>>
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »

???...............I used to simply ignore some of your comments, thinking they were simply designed to draw attention to yourself and provoke a reaction from peeps on this board.  But it appears that you really ARE serious about these things.  So it begs the question:  Why do you have such an OBSESSION about skin color? ???

Were you and/or members of your family mocked or made fun of because of your skin color or something?  I believe you were born British, so were you considered not "white" enough by your peers, neighbors, etc.?  I'm serious, your obsession is a theme which pretty much PERVADES your postings on this board, and I am curious as to the origin.   :shrug:

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Fam, Neymar is simply talking how many of our people talk.  :'(

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »
Fam, Neymar is simply talking how many of our people talk.  :'(
..............sir, I doubt there are VERY FEW peeps on this board who would be surprised by this^^^^^revelation.

I have a friend who passed in early 2013.  He was a decent brutha, but, sadly, had a color complex.  He was about a medium brown skin complexion, but married a woman whose ancestry, I believe, is Polynesian.  The woman - now widow - is actually a very sweet person, but my friend would literally BRAG about how when he married the woman, she had hair flowing down her back with an "hour-glass" figure and "pretty" light skin.  :(

They had three children, two daughters and a son.  The son was the youngest.  The oldest daughter looked just like her father.  But the second daughter and the son looked just like the mother.  My friend used to take PRIDE in the two youngest children's physical appearance.  :(

Ms. Strike was born 10 weeks premature, spending the first 37 days of her life in the hospital.  My friend was WELL AWARE of the complications concerning Ms. Strike's birth, and her prematurity.  But do you know that the FIRST question he asked about Ms. Strike was whose "color" did she take, mine or her mother's?  I was damn near in shock with that question, and did not answer it.  This is a true story, as Ms. Strike is well in her 20's, but I have never forgotten the incident.

The color complex remains a VERY serious issue in our community.  :(

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule