News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: The Role of an Afrocentric Ideology in Achieving Pan-Africanism  (Read 8369 times)

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
Re: The Role of an Afrocentric Ideology in Achieving Pan-Africanism
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
CU and B4L and y04 (B&G, too),

I am curious.  Did we agree?

"We might actually agree, gentlemen, on much of what you have said IF WE CAN AGREE to use the term CHALLENGES, instead of FLAWS."
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:08 AM »
To be honest challenges is not strong enough a word and this is from someone who's lived on the continent for a few years.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:11 AM »
As promised and with the agreement of the OW:
http://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php/topic,63863.new.html#new

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:29 AM »
To be honest challenges is not strong enough a word and this is from someone who's lived on the continent for a few years.

OK, what is the right word?
Or perhaps adjectives for challenges.  Daunting?  Serious? 

The distinction I hope we can make is between:
a flaw - which would mean that the analysis or the recommended course of action is mistaken in some fundamental way,
and
a challenge - which could be very difficult to imagine overcoming in the near term or even the long term, but is a needed and valuable aspect of achieving the objective and which is feasibly achievable if the needed effort and resources are lent to the objective.
O0

Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »

This post is tangential and actually serves as back up to an assertion I made in another thread, but it also represents a key aspect of the foundation for Afrocentrism.

Afrocentrism, contrary to the claims of some of its critics, is, in part, an attempt to provide a less biased account of history than that which almost all of us were given in school.

This article, also by Dr. Asante, exposes the lies told by historians and other scholars and particularly their omissions about the Greeks as being the fathers of philosophy (mathematics and medicine, too) when IN FACT, THE GREEKS THEMSELVES ADMIRED THE BLACKS IN KEMET (ancient Egypt) AND ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY, THE GREEKS, WERE THE STUDENTS OF THE AFRICANS.

There is a common belief among whites that philosophy originates with the Greeks. The idea is so common that almost all of the books on philosophy start with the Greeks as if the Greeks pre-dated all other people when it came to discussion of concepts of beauty, art, numbers, sculpture, medicine (or) social organization. In fact, this dogma occupies the principal position in the academies of the Western world, including the universities and academies of Africa. It goes something like this:

Philosophy is the highest discipline.
All other disciplines are derived from philosophy.
Philosophy is the creation of the Greeks.
The Greeks are white,
Therefore, whites are the creators of philosophy.

In the view of this dogma, other people and cultures may contribute thoughts, like the Chinese, Confucius, but thoughts are not philosophy; only the Greeks can contribute philosophy. The African people may have religion and myths, but not philosophy, according to this reasoning. Thus, this notion privileges the Greeks as the originators of philosophy, the highest of the sciences.

There is a serious problem with this line of reasoning. The information is false.

....Why did the Greek philosophers study in Africa? Thales, the first Greek philosopher and the first who is recorded to have studied in Africa, says that he learned philosophy from the Egyptians. They studied in Egypt because it was the educational capital of the ancient world. Pythagoras is known to have spent at least twenty two years in Africa. One could get a fairly good education in twenty two years, perhaps even earn a Ph.D.! The Greeks were seeking the philosophical information that the Africans possessed. When Isocrates wrote of his studies in the book Busirus, he said that “I studied philosophy and medicine in Egypt.” He did not study these subjects in Greece in Europe, but in Egypt in Africa.

Not only is the word philosophy not Greek, the practice of philosophy existed long before the Greeks. Imhotep, Ptahhotep, Amenemhat, Merikare, Duauf, Amenhotep, son of Hapu, Akhenaten, and the sage of Khunanup, are just a few of the African philosophers who lived long before there was a Greece or a Greek philosopher.

When the Africans finished building the pyramids in 2500 BC it would be one thousand seven hundred years before Homer, the first Greek writer, appears!
http://www.asante.net/articles/26/afrocentricity/

The factual argument in this instance is not between Eurocentric scholars and Afrocentric scholars.  The argument is between modern Eurocentric scholars and THE GREEKS THEMSELVES!!!  I say: Let them argue with Pythagoras, who studied in Kemet for more than 20 years!!!

My point in the other thread is that Europeans, BEFORE their culture was mortally infected with racism, accepted and admired Black people as equal or superior in knowledge.

My aim in this thread is to underline the factual legitimacy of Afrocentric ideology.
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:41:37 AM »
Oft times, an artist is able to boil down scads of theory, concepts and history into visable art or simple and direct words of poetry or lyrics.

Such it is with this song, 'African,' by Peter Tosh:

Live version:

O0

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:37:45 AM by Bison66 »
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
NYTime Opinionator on Eurocentric (Western) bias in Philosophy, but fails to even mention Greece's students in Africa!!!

Otherwise a good article, but fatally exemplifying what it complains of.
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/philosophys-western-bias/#postComment
See the comments.
We'll see if the author responds.

O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
interesting.

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Oh,...so you did receive my PM.
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Oh,...so you did receive my PM.
O0

Yeah. Just happened to check.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
I will add my two bits from having lived and taught in Central Africa. As I told American Blacks after I got back, don't go over there calling anyone  brother. You are not a Ibo, you are not a Hausa, you are not a Bemba. You are a "colored".

Are you all economist? I thought that I was smart. Y'all make me feel stupid.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »
I will add my two bits from having lived and taught in Central Africa. As I told American Blacks after I got back, don't go over there calling anyone  brother. You are not a Ibo, you are not a Hausa, you are not a Bemba. You are a "colored".

;D

Bekah icheeeee

Offline Rebakky96

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »

;D

Bekah icheeeee

They called me white lol

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »

;D

Bekah icheeeee

They called me white lol

Who did?
And why?
O0
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »

;D

Bekah icheeeee

They called me white lol

:lol:

"Am African, no questions"

:lol:

Only white people do this.
دعونا نسميها

:tiptoe:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News