Quantcast
HBCU Job Openings
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 04:39:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  HBCU Job Openings
« previous next »
Pages: 1st 1 [2] 3 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: HBCU Job Openings  (Read 3430 times)
Thinkingaboutit
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »

NCCU I heard has a committee formed.  If, as in the past, committees at NCCU typically is a rubber stamp for whom they want.  Who's on it?Huh???  There is no democracy or confidence in a NCCU committee.  Chaired and seated by the usual suspects.  I have heard of a few names mentioned but one in particular  will be interesting to see if HE gets the position.   tiptoe  Then we will know for sure.
sports fan 2009
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »

Why does it have to be a He why not the best person? So if Bibbs wants to come to NCCu you would say NO?
Santa Claus
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »

There was a typo about Horace Broadnax by our nice media gurus. He played at Georgetown according to the article in 1884 lmao It was 1984. Something for us to smile at. I hope all of our schools get quality coaches and stop hiring retreads that were mediocre at other schools.

I do not see our HBCU's ever paying a coach more than the chancellor and or president. The large  D I schools have no problem with this and expect the caost to produce or bye bye. This is the same way in academia at major research university, publish or persih.
Santa Claus
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »

There is an old saying, you get what your search committee is willing to pay for. Smiley
The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

NCCU I heard has a committee formed.  If, as in the past, committees at NCCU typically is a rubber stamp for whom they want.  Who's on it?Huh???  There is no democracy or confidence in a NCCU committee.  Chaired and seated by the usual suspects.  I have heard of a few names mentioned but one in particular  will be interesting to see if HE gets the position.   tiptoe  Then we will know for sure.

I served on 3 search committees at NCCU.  I can tell you that we were not just a rubber stamp for anyone.  When Rod Broadway applied I did not a lot about him.  But he was clearly the best candidate among all of the applicants.  Bill Hayes was a lot better than the final 5 candidates that we interviewed face to face.   He was a lot better than Dee Todd.   Roll Eyes     no

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
sports fan 2009
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »

People get hire and fired every year ! Ad's  have to pick the candiate they think will turn the program around. With some of this job openings it's going take more than a coach to turn it around over night(Texas Southern is one!!!!)
KNOWITALL
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »

That's for the AD's to figure out. The model is in place and it works. They need to go find their own Shaka Smart.

In order for that to work they would have to pay the coach more than the president/chancellor.  Which HBCU is going to do that?

Not true at all.  Chancellors make alot of money.  My suggestion is/was to pay the lower level coach more than he or she has ever made.  Most coaches in the CIAA are making between 80k- 120k.  Take a coach thats making 85k or 90k and pay them 120k.  That certainly would not be more than the chancellor.  Might be more (or close to more) than the AD but thats the norm across the country.  Who cares who makes more.  Get the job done and get championships and graduate studen-athletes

Are you aware that Shaka Smart makes $1.2 million a year?  What HBCU is going to pay a coach that much to coach?  What HBCU president/chancellor is making $1.2 million a year?  To compete in D-1 basketball you get what you pay for.  Paying a coach $120K is not going to cut it.  Assistant coaches at other D-1 schools make more than that. 

In order for your plan to work is to pay the coach more than the president/chancellor of the HBCU.  The coach will be much better known than the president/chancellor of the HBCU.  Most people would know the school the following coaches are Coach K, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Pat Head-Summitt.  How many can name the president/chancellor of those schools?  When HBCUs hire presidents/chancellors that put the school's interest ahead of their ego D-1 athletics will soar. 

This post was an absolutely incoherent thought. I NEVER implied that an HBCU could pay anywhere close to what Shaka makes. I used him as a reference and said tHat HBCU'S need to find a young energetic coach that has something to prove LIKE Shaka. Nobody that has an ounce of common sense thinks that our schools will ever compete on a consistent basis in Division I. It won't happen. We will win a game here or there that we shouldn't  but competing for the best coaches and the best talent..... Forget about it. We don't have the facilities and we don't have enough of the message board AD's giving consistently to their respective programs.  So as I said earlier pay a young coach from the CIAA more than he or she has ever made before and let them grind. It won't ever be more than the chancellor because egos on the black college campus won't let that happen.

"IF YOU WANT MORE KNOWLEDGE..JUST SHAKE THE TREE.. I'M HERE FOR YOU
y04185
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

That's for the AD's to figure out. The model is in place and it works. They need to go find their own Shaka Smart.

In order for that to work they would have to pay the coach more than the president/chancellor.  Which HBCU is going to do that?

Not true at all.  Chancellors make alot of money.  My suggestion is/was to pay the lower level coach more than he or she has ever made.  Most coaches in the CIAA are making between 80k- 120k.  Take a coach thats making 85k or 90k and pay them 120k.  That certainly would not be more than the chancellor.  Might be more (or close to more) than the AD but thats the norm across the country.  Who cares who makes more.  Get the job done and get championships and graduate studen-athletes

Are you aware that Shaka Smart makes $1.2 million a year?  What HBCU is going to pay a coach that much to coach?  What HBCU president/chancellor is making $1.2 million a year?  To compete in D-1 basketball you get what you pay for.  Paying a coach $120K is not going to cut it.  Assistant coaches at other D-1 schools make more than that. 

In order for your plan to work is to pay the coach more than the president/chancellor of the HBCU.  The coach will be much better known than the president/chancellor of the HBCU.  Most people would know the school the following coaches are Coach K, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Pat Head-Summitt.  How many can name the president/chancellor of those schools?  When HBCUs hire presidents/chancellors that put the school's interest ahead of their ego D-1 athletics will soar. 

This post was an absolutely incoherent thought. I NEVER implied that an HBCU could pay anywhere close to what Shaka makes. I used him as a reference and said tHat HBCU'S need to find a young energetic coach that has something to prove LIKE Shaka. Nobody that has an ounce of common sense thinks that our schools will ever compete on a consistent basis in Division I. It won't happen. We will win a game here or there that we shouldn't  but competing for the best coaches and the best talent..... Forget about it. We don't have the facilities and we don't have enough of the message board AD's giving consistently to their respective programs.  So as I said earlier pay a young coach from the CIAA more than he or she has ever made before and let them grind. It won't ever be more than the chancellor because egos on the black college campus won't let that happen.

The reason for your post is the reason why HBCUs on the D-1 level will never compete.  Our schools could get a Shaka Smart type of coach.  It cost a minimum of $400K a year.  How many of our schools are going to pay that?  The problem is our schools do little to nothing to raise revenue.  Our D-1 schools have nice facilities.  The athletic fund raising department is understaffed if staffed at all.  Corporate sponsorships is virtually non-existent.  NSU won a first round game.  They should already have corporate sponsorships from the largest corporations in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth.  At best they will probably only gain one small time sponsor.  Those sailors at the local Navy bases watched them on TV.  They should have tickets for them when next year's season starts.  It's an easy sell. 

You don't have to pay that coach $800K until he gets offers from other schools.  You will get the same as what you've been getting for $120K.  When you sign that coach for $400K you do what VCU did.  Have a big buyout clause and the school that takes your coach away has to play you on your court within two years.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

KNOWITALL
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »

I've stated my point. I no longer wish to engage in dialogue on this subject. Neither of us is gong to make this decision. On to the next one

"IF YOU WANT MORE KNOWLEDGE..JUST SHAKE THE TREE.. I'M HERE FOR YOU
y04185
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 04:42:07 AM »

I've stated my point. I no longer wish to engage in dialogue on this subject. Neither of us is gong to make this decision. On to the next one

We agree on this. 

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Oldschoolram
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »

If they seriously want Collins now is the time.

Decks
Assistant GM

Aggie Pride!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »

Collins must have applied on his own because I don't know of anyone who's expressed interest in him.

Aggie Football 2013
It's time to put your big boy pants on!
Thinkingaboutit
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »

Y , most schools do not pay 400k to start to a first year coach at 1AA in this country.  BCS, yes, but at the other levels, overall, no.    Its not just a HBCU pay scale but nationwide with all schools.  You best start thinking national in scope and forget this HBCU mindset.   NCCU views this thing from a different point of view with vastly differing opinions. 
sports fan 2009
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »

AG Hall is going to get the NCCU job that is the word from Durham!
Bull-E
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »

If A G Hall is the new WBB coach, it is due to the AD's prior friendship with the Hall family. WE always want to deal with the known rather than the unknown.  A G Hall was second on my list of  best candidate for our WBB program.  He has never been a head coach but has a history with NCCU and other very good WBB programs.  Let's wait and see if he is the new WBB coach at NCCU.  There is one thing you can count on at NCCU, there are no secrets.
Pages: 1st 1 [2] 3 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News