Quantcast
Lady Bears
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:53:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Access the Fan Forum through your mobile phone at http://mobff.onnidan.com.  Bookmark this URL for future mobile access.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  Lady Bears
« previous next »
Pages: 1st « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lady Bears  (Read 1336 times)
The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »

Who was the last D2 HBCU women's team in the final game? Didn't Hampton win one?  shrug

Virginia Union won the national title in 1983.   Hampton won it in the early 1980s also.  I don't remember the year but it was in the mid 1980s Central Missouri State beat St. Aug's men and Central Missour State beat the Virginia Union women to sweep the national titles.  Both games were played in Springfield, Mass on the same day.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
Onnidan Webmaster
Administrator

Forum Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »

Who was the last D2 HBCU women's team in the final game? Didn't Hampton win one?  shrug

Hampton won it all in 1988.

Virginia Union won the national championship in 1983

VUU was runner up in 1984 as was Tuskegee in 1982
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:11:01 PM by Onnidan Webmaster » Logged

=OW=

"Why should we share it if they're not generating it?"
- University of Texas athletics director Steve Patterson - August, 2014
The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »

What in the hell did we do in the days before the internet? All you knew was that your team was playing somewhere. If you were lucky, somebody would call the campus and tell you if you won or loss.  shrug

Back in NCCU's glory days in the CIAA in the 1980s and early 1990s I had the phone number of every SID office in the CIAA.  I also had the phone number to the sports department at the Durham Herald-Ssun newspaper.  I would call to the score of the football and basketball games before I would go to bed.  I had to know how my Eagles did.  One time I called the SID office at Norfolk State during basketball season.  I asked who ever answer the phone what was the score of the game.  The person said to me that the men lost by one point.  It me a second or two to realize that he meant that NSU had lost to NCCU.  One time I called Fayetteville State to get the score and Kyle Serba answered the phone.  When I asked for the score Kyle recognized my voice.  I got details on the BUTT WHIPPING we put on those shetland ponies that night.    dedhorse  

Those of us who went to Springfield, Mass in 1989 for the Elite Eight we got on pay phones and called various friends to them each night how NCCU won the game.   Grin   Grin  Those were great times.   nod    clap    bow

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
Onnidan Webmaster
Administrator

Forum Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »

clap clap

Good game ladies.  nod I loved it when they jumped out to the big lead early. Glad they didn't let up too much and kept right on pounding inside and hitting the boards. I figured Rollins would have a run but thot the defense and speed would eventually wear them down.

Ashland is a good outside shooting team. The championship should be a good one. What time is the game?

Two down, one to go. Pray. Get some rest. Relax your body and nerves.

You can do this. Seize this opportunity and leave everything on the court! clap clap

Championship game is Friday at 8:00pm ET. clap

=OW=

Jumbo97
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »

Who was the last D2 HBCU women's team in the final game? Didn't Hampton win one?  shrug

Hampton won it all in 1988.

Virginia Union won the national championship in 1983

VUU was runner up in 1984 as was Tuskegee in 1982

Where these ladies mentioned in Black Magic? Will be watching it again!
Bison 4 Life
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »

Congrats to Shaw. Great job and good luck. clap clap

FunCkMaster
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »

Yeeeeeaaaaauuuuuh SU! clap

Let's GOOOOOOO! clap I had to miss the game tonight, but I should be able to watch the championship game.

Bring it home on Friday night ladies! Is this game going to be on CBS Sports again or one of the ESPN networks?

BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2013 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
Oh yeah, and the Dallas Cowboys, Duke Basketball, New York Yankees...ARE STILL THE REAL AXIS OF EVIL..
Onnidan Webmaster
Administrator

Forum Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »

Let's GOOOOOOO! clap I had to miss the game tonight, but I should be able to watch the championship game.

Bring it home on Friday night ladies! Is this game going to be on CBS Sports again or one of the ESPN networks?

Should be on CBS Sports again.

=OW=

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

"Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »

Published Wed, Mar 21, 2012 11:49 PM Modified Thu, Mar 22, 2012 05:21 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/21/1949973/shaw-women-top-rollings-to-advance.html

Shaw women top Rollings to advance to DII championship game

By Pat Turner The News and Observer

SAN ANTONIO This time, the second round of the NCAA Women’s Division II Elite Eight was more to Shaw’s liking.

After being ousted in last year’s semifinals, the Lady Bears made amends with an 87-71 thumping of Rollings (Fla.) Wednesday night at Greehey Arena.

Because Shaw (28-6) crossed that hurdle, the Lady Bears go for their first national title when they face second-ranked Ashland (Ohio), a 77-62 winner over Bentley, at 8 p.m. Friday.

Getting past round two was the motivation since qualifying for the Elite Eight, especially after losing to Clayton State (Ga.) a year ago. It showed against Rollins as the Lady Bears left no doubt they were worthy of playing for the DII crown.

Shaw, which shot 29 percent in its opening win over Pittsburg State (Kan.), did not have that problem this time as Kyria Buford (22 points, 10 rebounds), Crystal Harris (24 points, 14 rebounds) and Aslea Williams (12 points, 14 rebounds) led the Lady Bears on a 40.3 percent shooting tear. Like the previous night, defense was the story in holding Rollins to 36.5 percent shooting, while gaining a 61-38 rebounding advantage.

Shaw wasted no time in setting the tempo by running to an 8-0 lead. Rollins made a run but it wasn’t enough to throw the Lady Bears off course.

Shaw sped up its game even more and starting hitting buckets a rapid pace for a 48-30 halftime lead.

The second half got a little tricky early as Rollins (28-6) pulled within 53-41. Ashland Shaw found a way to get back on track with free throw shooting and the inside work of Harris.

In addition, Rollins couldn’t find an answer for Buford, who scored 13 of her points in the second half by connecting from the outside and driving the paint.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:59:02 AM by Onnidan Webmaster » Logged

On NCCU Wings of "Eagles Up - Soaring High" With Eagle Pride Amplified!  

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
LULions
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »

Congratulations Lady Bears!   clap    bow    clap

Go get the "Ship tomorrow night!

Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854
Snapper
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »

Congrats LADY BEARS!!!!

BLUE & WHITE TIL I DIE
PHI BETA SIGMA 4 LIFE
ECSU VIKING 4 LIFE
ECSU "SOC" MARCHING VIKING 4 LIFE
FunCkMaster
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »

Should be on CBS Sports again.

Thanks O-Dub. bow

BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2013 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
Oh yeah, and the Dallas Cowboys, Duke Basketball, New York Yankees...ARE STILL THE REAL AXIS OF EVIL..
EPJr
Assistant GM

So Proud 2B a Panther; da Raider Nation; DCU4Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »

VID: Lady Bears ousting Tars

http://www.ncaa.com/video/archive/basketball-women

WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »

That is a beautiful gym for division II.  Too bad it was empty. . . thefan

KHawk
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »

Congrats Lady Bears.  Please have just one more win left in the tank.  I know you can do it.  I think the key will be defending the perimeter jumpers.  Shaw is a beast in the paint and rebounding.  If they can keep it close, they will find a way to win.  ONE MORE W and you are NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.  Man, does that sound good!!!
Pages: 1st « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News