BCU 'Cats thrilled to add skill in 'Dogs' Gordon

(1/1)

Brother Tony:
By BRENT WORONOFF, Staff writer 
  February 2, 2012 12:55 AM Posted in: College Tagged:Bethune-Cookman , national signing day DAYTONA BEACH -- Typically, if a head coach turns in a small National Signing Day roster, he'll say that what the class lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality.

Bethune-Cookman coach Brian Jenkins was ecstatic over the quality of his 15-member signing class Wednesday, and he wasn't ready to concede on quantity.

"This is the first half of our recruiting class," Jenkins said. "The second half may shock some people."

Jenkins wouldn't say when more players are expected to sign and admitted the Wildcats lost some players they expected to sign and others they had hoped to sign, but he was pleased Wednesday's haul filled some needs and improved the team's overall talent level.

The highlights of the day were a couple explosive skill players B-CU was able to pluck out of its backyard -- DeLand safety Tevin Gordon and Sanford Seminole wide receiver Ray Martin.

"I've quietly kept an eye on Tevin since he was a junior," Jenkins said of the 6-foot-3, 175-pound Gordon. "He's one of the most talented players I've seen in the area. He can play on either side of the ball. Colorado State was right there, Eastern Michigan was right there, but we were able to convince him to stay home."

Gordon said when he took his visit, the Wildcats treated him like family.

"As soon as I went to the campus, they treated me like I was already in the system," Gordon said.

Martin, a three-star recruit according to Rivals.com, had 25 offers, Jenkins said. He had committed to West Virginia in August, but reopened his recruiting in December.

"A couple of schools backed off him a little bit because of his size (5-10, 180), and we just stayed on him. He felt like we recruited him the hardest," Jenkins said. "He's going to be a player I think who will hit the field immediately. He's very mature for his age, and I feel he can be a leader for us as soon as he gets here.

"Tevin and Ray are two guys, I think, who can help us reach our goals as national champions."

The Wildcats beefed up their offensive line with five recruits, four of whom are 6-4 or taller. They signed four defensive backs, all 6-feet or taller. Jenkins said B-CU is trying to add height at both positions.

Five of the signees are Football Bowl Subdivision transfers: defensive backs Tyrone Bouie (Minnesota) and Derek Carter (Central Michigan), wide receiver Broderick Waters (Louisiana Tech) and defensive linemen Brandon Bryant and LeBranden Richardson (both UCF).

The Wildcats signed two junior college transfers and three players who were at prep schools.

Among the freshmen, B-CU signed defensive back Terry Harden from Hollywood Hills, who had an offer to play for Miami where he could have attended for free without a scholarship because his father works there, Jenkins said. Offensive lineman Trevin Huff (6-4, 270) from Tallahassee Lincoln could play on either offense or defense, Jenkins said. Lineman Tim Nicholas (6-4, 275) of Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna could have signed with FAU or FIU, while Dariusz Bladek (6-4, 300 OL) had offers from Tennessee State, Florida A&M and FAU.

All seven transfers are are already enrolled.

The Wildcats did not sign any quarterbacks or running backs Wednesday.

"Some very good players got away from us," Jenkins said. "But the caliber of players we're going after we know we have a chance of losing down the stretch. It's not our concern who else are recruiting them."

B-CU signees

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown

Dariusz Bladek, OT, 6-5, 309, Kissim. Poinciana

Buzz: Turned down Tenn. St., FAMU, FAU

Tyrone Bouie, DB, 6-0, 180, San. Seminole/Minn.

High school teammate of B-CU LB Jarkevis Fields on state champ Sanford Seminole

Rashard Brown, OL, 6-3, 305, Osceola/Ga. Mil.

Can play any position on the line

Brandon Bryant, DL, 6-4, 290, Atlanta/UCF

One of two DL transfers from UCF

Derek Carter, S, 6-0, 204, Dillard/Central Mich.

Fifth-year senior played one game last season at Central Michigan

Tevin Gordon, S, 6-3, 175, DeLand

Picked B-CU over Colorado St., Eastern Michigan

Terry Harden, DB, 6-0, 180, Hollywood Hills

Early commit turned down several MAC schools

Trevin Huff, OL, 6-4, 270, Tallahassee Lincoln

Honor student could also play DL

Mike Jones, OL, 6-4, 270, Hargrave Military, Va.

Went to prep school, already enrolled at B-CU

Ray Martin, WR, 5-10, 180, Sanford Seminole

Former commit to West Virginia had 25 offers

Tim Nicholas, OL, 6-4, 275, Hollywood Cham.

Recruited by FIU, FAU and UCF

LeBr. Richardson, DE, 6-2, 237, Miami Central/UCF

Led Miami/Dade County in sacks as a high school senior

Isaiah Riddle, LB, 6-1, 235, Atlanta Sports Ac.

Only LB in class should play right away

Jamel Turner, TE, 6-4, 230, Chicago/Reedly Coll.

JUCO transfer will likely be joined by another incoming

Broderick Waters, WR, 5-10, 190, Booker/ La. Tech

Former 3-star recruit played QB in HS and JUCO

Navigation

[0] Message Index