Quantcast
Why being quirky may get you further in life (NPR)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 10:21:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  Why being quirky may get you further in life (NPR)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why being quirky may get you further in life (NPR)  (Read 1532 times)
klg14
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

Author Alexandra Robbins explains her "quirk theory," in which those students who weren't necessarily popular in school are those who find success later in life...

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/05/25/am-why-being-quirky-may-get-you-further-in-life/

"Let's not characterize the IRS as justice." - Stone Barrington, from the novel, "Strategic Moves" (p. 142)

July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Brother Tony
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »

HHHHMMMMM....this explains some of these OW Quirky Azzz Folks   nod

TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"
EPJr
Assistant GM

So Proud 2B a Panther; da Raider Nation; DCU4Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »

Geeky, Nerdy, Quirky are just names for those who were smarter and more individual than the norm. Teen years is about peer pressure and fitting in or those that don't are looked at with a degree of scorn. Those kids that be themselves in spite of this end up being braver as adults

GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

Geeky, Nerdy, Quirky are just names for those who were smarter and more individual than the norm. Teen years is about peer pressure and fitting in or those that don't are looked at with a degree of scorn. Those kids that be themselves in spite of this end up being braver as adults

This is true. I didn't want to fit in the so-called "in crowd: in  HS, and  didn't try. I was friends with people I liked, and we had fun, and did what we wanted.

Of course, HS mean girls being HS mean girls, tried to retaliate--but we ignored them all.

And I carry that same way with me today...I'm comfortable with myself, and that is what matters.

The GOP Is A Party Of "MAD MEN" Living In A "MODERN FAMILY" world.--Matthew Dowd
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »

I'm telling you.  nod When baby girl brings the class nerd home as her date, you parents better jump for joy because she will have a good life with him. If she comes home with the popular good looking boy, you know she is going to have a troubled life with him.
Golden Kitten
Assistant GM

Student Advokitty/Fashion Police

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »

Why can't he be a good looking nerd?  shrug

Teeny-Honor Roll & Writer of Week-Paul Robeson-Malcolm X Aca
Cats4ever
Assistant GM

General Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »

Good article, I have a question, why is it those same popular folks still calling people nerds after 20 plus years since high school. I have a cousin that loves to use that term, but he makes his kid do his homework. shrug Blacks people need to bury that n-word like we did the last one because it is holding us back also. Our kids are afraid to achieve for fear of being called nerd.

Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »

Why can't he be a good looking nerd?  shrug

God don't give everybody everything. Some guys have a brain, some have personality,  some have a body, some have good looks, while others have a big penis. GK you just have to figure what is important to you and pick one because it will be difficult to find one person with all those attributes. If your man got two of those things, you're pretty lucky.
Bearforlife
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 07:48:18 AM »

I think it is most certainly possible to be both attractive and smart. I think some kids who are labeled as nerds are just going to be late bloomers period. I was a fairly popular in HS and the cheer captain in college, but still labeled a nerd because I could define almost any word and could read a 300 page book in one day.

I think that it is a misnomer that one can't be smart and good looking. It is one of the things in life that prevents people from taking attractive people seriously. Sure, I'm no Bill Gates or Steve Jobs and I will never remember the square root of pi, but I'm no slow leak.

We need to stop perpetuating these sterotypes and labels that contribute to kids being bullied. Callign smarter kids nerds, jocks,etc. Children learn it from adults and pass it on.
Maroon and Gray
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:33 AM »

I think it is most certainly possible to be both attractive and smart. I think some kids who are labeled as nerds are just going to be late bloomers period. I was a fairly popular in HS and the cheer captain in college, but still labeled a nerd because I could define almost any word and could read a 300 page book in one day.

I think that it is a misnomer that one can't be smart and good looking. It is one of the things in life that prevents people from taking attractive people seriously. Sure, I'm no Bill Gates or Steve Jobs and I will never remember the square root of pi, but I'm no slow leak.

We need to stop perpetuating these sterotypes and labels that contribute to kids being bullied. Callign smarter kids nerds, jocks,etc. Children learn it from adults and pass it on.

Capler doesn't believe half the stuff he posts. 

GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »

Why can't he be a good looking nerd?  shrug
Smiley
It does happen.  Heck, in HS,  I was the smart, "nerdy", attractive girl. Smiley  But it came from the other six or seven Black girls in my HS class. The White girls weren't so nasty.

Had good grades and the other kids parents and teachers **gasp** liked me. lol

But, I went everywhere, the parties, did the dances, football,basketball games--my parents gave me more freedom than most girls at my HS.

But, now when I see the girls from HS who were the "popular" cute "in crowd" girls--they are neither wildly successful or particularly attractive or "hip and happening."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:04:26 AM by GALFAMU » Logged

The GOP Is A Party Of "MAD MEN" Living In A "MODERN FAMILY" world.--Matthew Dowd
aggiegrad2009
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:26 AM »

OK that explains it...........I was hoping he wasn't serious with that statement....

Knocking down the competition one game at a time!!!!!!
Bearforlife
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »

@GAL that's funny because I tell my students that all the hot guys they see now are gonna be so unattractive in less than ten years after graduation. I distinctly remember this really nice young man that wanted to date my eldest niece. He was a little shorter than some of the guys in his class and had an acne problem, but he was so nice to her and smart. I told her he would end up being really hot by the time they finished college. Well, he went to Morehouse on an academic scholarship and when he came home for break he'd gotten taller and his skin cleared. She at least admitted I was right (she ended up marrying a very nice young man that I absolutely love). I think God definitely has a sense of humor in cases like this. The ones who were really attractive in HS and picked on other kids for whatever reason end up being the worst looking adults.

Maroon and Gray
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 10:34:36 AM »

OK that explains it...........I was hoping he wasn't serious with that statement....

I must qualify.  It's my opinion he doesn't believe that mess.  It just reeks of 'devil's advocate'.

Of course he could be crazy as hell.

Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »

@GAL that's funny because I tell my students that all the hot guys they see now are gonna be so unattractive in less than ten years after graduation. I distinctly remember this really nice young man that wanted to date my eldest niece. He was a little shorter than some of the guys in his class and had an acne problem, but he was so nice to her and smart. I told her he would end up being really hot by the time they finished college. Well, he went to Morehouse on an academic scholarship and when he came home for break he'd gotten taller and his skin cleared. She at least admitted I was right (she ended up marrying a very nice young man that I absolutely love). I think God definitely has a sense of humor in cases like this. The ones who were really attractive in HS and picked on other kids for whatever reason end up being the worst looking adults.

You want to see some mess go back to your high school reunions. For the most part those good looking people have fell off a cliff by reunion time. Those little ugly ones back in school look real good now. Also darker skinned people tend to look better as they age too. White folk lose their looks real fast. Of course it is not politically correct to say that, but we all know it's true.
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News