Quantcast
Ciaa has gotten too big for Charlotte
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 08:40:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  Ciaa has gotten too big for Charlotte
« previous next »
Pages: 1st « 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ciaa has gotten too big for Charlotte  (Read 17620 times)
Jaimac
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

.......2013 Clark Atlanta agrees to join the CIAA along with Benedict.
2015 CIAA Tournament officially moves to Atlanta
2015 MEAC tournament officially moves to Raleigh and moves up a weekend
2017 game attendance starts to wane at CIAA tournament; game attendance picks up at MEAC tournament

I, too, think that it will not be long before CAU moves over to the CIAA.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~
K2
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »

I'm not sure if the tournament will work in Atlanta or not one thing for sure is that Ciaa alum will travel to the event. Folks still travel hours from Virginia to get to here. When the event was in Virginia, we went up there. If the event moved to Atlanta, I'm sure most of those folk would follow.  So I'm saying Atlanta will have very little impact on the number of tourney books sold, in the same way Charlotte has little influence. All Atlanta folk need to do is come out for the parties, which I'm sure they would. I mean come on, there are too many black folk in Atlanta who love to be seen.  nod

You don't think the MEAC office won't take full advantage of them moving?  Here is the way I see it.

2013 Clark Atlanta agrees to join the CIAA along with Benedict.
2017 game attendance starts to wane at CIAA tournament; game attendance picks up at MEAC tournament

LOL at you leaving Charlotte out of the equation.  If, a big if, but if the CIAA moved to Atlanta, wouldn’t you expect the MEAC to look to go to Charlotte before looking at Raleigh?  It’s more centrally located for the conference and they’ve been to Raleigh before and it didn’t work out.

http://www.goldenbullsports.com/index.aspx 
http://www.jcsu.edu/    
America‘s First Historically Black IBM ThinkPad University.
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »

silly question.

But are white folks indoors during the tourny? Are the hotels all-black? Are Chowan alums attending the CIAA in larger numbers?

Interesting question there Bison. First off let me throw this out there before I respond. It should not matter and we should not even be concerned with the number of whites who come out. This is all about being 'us' at or best. If white folk show up, fine, if they don't, that is fine also.  They don't make the event or break the event.

Now that I got that out of the way......One of the things that I always pay attention to is who comes to the event. I saw more young whites than I even have participating in some aspect of this thing we call the Ciaa. I'm just not talking white girls hanging onto black males either. I saw young white couples looking for the party.  It was truly amazing. I fully expect this trend to continue as they become more comfortable with hanging out in large number of black. I credit the Ciaa for making this possible. Normally when you have a large event with only us, some negative crap jumps off. This my friend keep many folk away. The Ciaa is wise to price the thug element out. Honestly they can't afford the game tickets and the admission to those expensive parties. If the Ciaa continues this trend, I fully expect to see more and more hip white college kids flock to the event. White folk are not stupid, they want to be in the mix of happening stuff.  Also there were a good number of whites inside the arena watching the games. Why they were there, I really can't say. But one thing for sure, whites have more of a presence on our HBCU campuses  than ever.

Correct on most of it.  But believe me, the thugs are the main ones who can afford everything.  Those jokers pay the $100 in entrance fee and go in and drop $500 for bottles. 

They aren't worried about going to the game and never will be. 

The thugs I know, and cause the most trouble,  can't give mama $100 a month to go towards the rent.
WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

silly question.

But are white folks indoors during the tourny? Are the hotels all-black? Are Chowan alums attending the CIAA in larger numbers?

Interesting question there Bison. First off let me throw this out there before I respond. It should not matter and we should not even be concerned with the number of whites who come out. This is all about being 'us' at or best. If white folk show up, fine, if they don't, that is fine also.  They don't make the event or break the event.

Now that I got that out of the way......One of the things that I always pay attention to is who comes to the event. I saw more young whites than I even have participating in some aspect of this thing we call the Ciaa. I'm just not talking white girls hanging onto black males either. I saw young white couples looking for the party.  It was truly amazing. I fully expect this trend to continue as they become more comfortable with hanging out in large number of black. I credit the Ciaa for making this possible. Normally when you have a large event with only us, some negative crap jumps off. This my friend keep many folk away. The Ciaa is wise to price the thug element out. Honestly they can't afford the game tickets and the admission to those expensive parties. If the Ciaa continues this trend, I fully expect to see more and more hip white college kids flock to the event. White folk are not stupid, they want to be in the mix of happening stuff.  Also there were a good number of whites inside the arena watching the games. Why they were there, I really can't say. But one thing for sure, whites have more of a presence on our HBCU campuses  than ever.

Correct on most of it.  But believe me, the thugs are the main ones who can afford everything.  Those jokers pay the $100 in entrance fee and go in and drop $500 for bottles. 

They aren't worried about going to the game and never will be. 

The thugs I know, and cause the most trouble,  can't give mama $100 a month to go towards the rent.
That's because they spent the rent money buying bottles and strippers.  Oh and studio time.

WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »

I'm not sure if the tournament will work in Atlanta or not one thing for sure is that Ciaa alum will travel to the event. Folks still travel hours from Virginia to get to here. When the event was in Virginia, we went up there. If the event moved to Atlanta, I'm sure most of those folk would follow.  So I'm saying Atlanta will have very little impact on the number of tourney books sold, in the same way Charlotte has little influence. All Atlanta folk need to do is come out for the parties, which I'm sure they would. I mean come on, there are too many black folk in Atlanta who love to be seen.  nod

You don't think the MEAC office won't take full advantage of them moving?  Here is the way I see it.

LOL at you leaving Charlotte out of the equation.  If, a big if, but if the CIAA moved to Atlanta, wouldn’t you expect the MEAC to look to go to Charlotte before looking at Raleigh?  It’s more centrally located for the conference and they’ve been to Raleigh before and it didn’t work out.

I picked Raleigh because it is closer to the northern MEAC schools; and to the NC based MEAC Schools.  Raleigh didn't give the MEAC tournament enough time to grow.  I always thought that was a mistake; and Thomas was forced to make a decision.

K2
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »

I picked Raleigh because it is closer to the northern MEAC schools; and to the NC based MEAC Schools.  Raleigh didn't give the MEAC tournament enough time to grow.  I always thought that was a mistake; and Thomas was forced to make a decision.

I think the MEAC can’t wait for the CIAA to leave Charlotte so they can pounce on coming there.  And I believe Decks when he says the CIAA is working on a long term commitment to Charlotte.  They know the minute they leave, the MEAC could step in and try to take advantage of all the ground work they laid in Charlotte. I definitely think the MEAC would look at Charlotte before looking at Raleigh again.

http://www.goldenbullsports.com/index.aspx 
http://www.jcsu.edu/    
America‘s First Historically Black IBM ThinkPad University.
Que82
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »

Shocked  really?Huh? I don't see it. no The CIAA would put a hurtin on your finances.  shrug

Bowie St 645 miles      Kentucky St   404 miles
Lincoln   717 miles       LeMoyne Owen 406 miles
Fayetteville 407 miles   Benedict 216 miles
WSSU 341 miles           Lane 366 miles
JCSU  244 miles            Stillman  228 miles
Livingstone 302 miles   Claflin 283 miles
VUU 583 miles               FVSU 102 miles
VSU 558 miles               TU 139 miles
Shaw 432 miles             Paine150 miles
ECSU  608 miles            Miles  147 miles
Chowan 559 miles        Morehouse 0 miles
Tourney 244 miles         Tourney 0

One way 5082             One way 2441     

shrug

Que82
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »

I'm not sure if the tournament will work in Atlanta or not one thing for sure is that Ciaa alum will travel to the event. Folks still travel hours from Virginia to get to here. When the event was in Virginia, we went up there. If the event moved to Atlanta, I'm sure most of those folk would follow.  So I'm saying Atlanta will have very little impact on the number of tourney books sold, in the same way Charlotte has little influence. All Atlanta folk need to do is come out for the parties, which I'm sure they would. I mean come on, there are too many black folk in Atlanta who love to be seen.  nod

You don't think the MEAC office won't take full advantage of them moving?  Here is the way I see it.

LOL at you leaving Charlotte out of the equation.  If, a big if, but if the CIAA moved to Atlanta, wouldn’t you expect the MEAC to look to go to Charlotte before looking at Raleigh?  It’s more centrally located for the conference and they’ve been to Raleigh before and it didn’t work out.

I picked Raleigh because it is closer to the northern MEAC schools; and to the NC based MEAC Schools.  Raleigh didn't give the MEAC tournament enough time to grow.  I always thought that was a mistake; and Thomas was forced to make a decision.

You picked Raleigh cause your a-- don't want to travel!!

Yeah I said it.  lmao
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:34:24 PM by Que82 » Logged

y04185
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »

The MEAC needs to find a place they can fill.  The Hampton Coliseum the Crown Coliseum or Norfolk Scope.  When they fill a place that size they can move to Raleigh, Winston-Salem or Charlotte.  They are playing in facilities that are way too large.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

QueHBCUFan
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »

Shocked  really?Huh? I don't see it. no The CIAA would put a hurtin on your finances.  shrug

Bowie St 645 miles      Kentucky St   404 miles
Lincoln   717 miles       LeMoyne Owen 406 miles
Fayetteville 407 miles   Benedict 216 miles
WSSU 341 miles           Lane 366 miles
JCSU  244 miles            Stillman  228 miles
Livingstone 302 miles   Claflin 283 miles
VUU 583 miles               FVSU 102 miles
VSU 558 miles               TU 139 miles
Shaw 432 miles             Paine150 miles
ECSU  608 miles            Miles  147 miles
Chowan 559 miles        Morehouse 0 miles
Tourney 244 miles         Tourney 0

One way 5082             One way 2441    

shrug

Que, you left off the best school of them all.  shrug

Do you know something I don't know?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:29:25 AM by QueHBCUFan » Logged

ALBANY STATE UNIVERSITY
JBROB
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »

No!  The tournament is not too large for Charlotte.
TrueEagle
Assistant GM

Asst. GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »

I agree JBROB. The tournament is not too big for Charlotte. Moving it to Charlotte made it what it is today in addition to the growth that occurred while it was in Raleigh.

I do not think that the Charlotte should be the permanent home for the tournament. The reason cities roll out the red carpet in terms of accomodations and dollars is to lure the event to their area. Unless there is a contractual obligation, why would Charlotte do that if made the permanent home?

If the CIAA does leave, the MEAC would be FOOLISH NOT TO SWOOP IN. I think holding the MEAC in Charlotte will be the midas' touch that it so desires. The CIAA has always been about basketball ...and still is. For at the end of the day, if there is no basketball then no one comes to town to pay $300 per nite for hotels rooms, $50-$100 for parties, host days parties, etc. However, the move to Charlotte was the shot in the arm that provides the perfect storm for the CIAA. It could do the same for the MEAC. The blueprint is already here.

"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepherd, Founder of NCCU    nod
Decks
Assistant GM

Aggie Pride!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »

I agree JBROB. The tournament is not too big for Charlotte. Moving it to Charlotte made it what it is today in addition to the growth that occurred while it was in Raleigh.

I do not think that the Charlotte should be the permanent home for the tournament. The reason cities roll out the red carpet in terms of accomodations and dollars is to lure the event to their area. Unless there is a contractual obligation, why would Charlotte do that if made the permanent home?

If the CIAA does leave, the MEAC would be FOOLISH NOT TO SWOOP IN. I think holding the MEAC in Charlotte will be the midas' touch that it so desires. The CIAA has always been about basketball ...and still is. For at the end of the day, if there is no basketball then no one comes to town to pay $300 per nite for hotels rooms, $50-$100 for parties, host days parties, etc. However, the move to Charlotte was the shot in the arm that provides the perfect storm for the CIAA. It could do the same for the MEAC. The blueprint is already here.

I disagree. Basketball might be the foundation of the CIAA Tournament but most folks come for the social events. I firmly believe you could postpone the basketball and folks would still come in large numbers.
Also, if no other cities are stepping up to put forth competitive bids why shouldn't the CIAA consider Charlotte for a permanent location? I think on the last bidding process no other city submitted a bid.

Aggie Football 2013
It's time to put your big boy pants on!
MrSoul
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2011, 09:50:37 AM »

no  I could be wrong, but I do not see CAU leaving the SIAC for the CIAA.

For what? The CIAA basketball tournament?   no
PharoahNupe94
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »

silly question.

clap  nod

Pages: 1st « 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News