Quantcast
Question For All BGLO Members...
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 04:37:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  Question For All BGLO Members...
« previous next »
Pages: 1st 1 [2] 3 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question For All BGLO Members...  (Read 1976 times)
Neymar
Assistant GM

النصر لنا

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 09:14:30 AM »

I believe the undergrad one should be gone. It takes mere kids, and puts them through hell just to belong. I dont believe a person has the ability to truly consent at that point in their life.

Blanket statements never do well on message boards.

Young people doing crazy things to fit in never do well in building confidence either, which is why I made the statement of cancelling the greek organizations for undergrad.

Zoom
Cheer Phi 93
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach- CIAA Cheer Consultant

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »

I THINK I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A KICK OUT OF PLEDGING IN THE PUBLIC AS OPPOSED TO HAVE "SET NIGHTS"

HOWEVER, IT HAS TO BE SOMEONE IN THE UNDERGRAD ORGANIZATION TO TAKE ON THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITIES OF DOING THE RIGHT THING.

FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN I WAS PRESIDENT FOR SIGMA... nod IN MY CHAPTER, MANY BROS. AND PLEDGEES UNDER MY LEADERSHIP KNEW, I WOULD SUSPSEND THEM FOR ANY CRAZY B.S. THAT WOULD POP OFF INCLUDING THE "DEAN OF PLEDGEES".
THEY KNEW MY "RAFT"......AND MY FINAL STATEMENT WAS, I AM NOT GOING TO JAIL FOR "U".....IN ADDITION, THE PROCESS HAD TO BE A PROCESS OF BONDING WITH THE PLEDGESS WHERE TRUST AND BROTHERHOOD WAS THE MAIN FOCUS....MEANING, IF SOMETHING WAS GOING WRONG DURING THE PROCESS THEY HAD THE AUTONOMY TO SPEAK ABOUT IT IN A "GRIP SESSION" AND I WOULD SETLLE IT FROM THERE, WHETHER THE BROS LIKE IT OR NOT.  MY NAME WAS ON THE LINE AS PRESIDENT!

IT WAS THE MINDSET THAT, HEY I AM TRYING TO SAVE OR DO THE BEST THING FOR THE CHAPTER, YOUR EDUCATION, YOUR MONEY, YOUR TIME, AND YOUR GOAL.  

SO I AM PROUDLY TO SAY, MY CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN SUSPENDED IN OVER 27Y/O, IF NOT MORE, UNLIKE ALL THE OTHERS!  I GUESS I WAS A GREAT LEADER/VISIONARY!

U-KNOW!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:19:52 AM by Cheer Phi 93 » Logged

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, INC.
Gomab Spr. 93 "En hoc no vinces"
WSSU Cheer-Phi 93 "Poppa-Ra"
C.E. Gaines Hall of Fame 2004
TJ1906
Neophyte

PRIORITIES AND OPTIONS!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:29 AM »

I THINK I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A KICK OUT OF PLEDGING IN THE PUBLIC AS OPPOSED TO HAVE "SET NIGHTS"

HOWEVER, IT HAS TO BE SOMEONE IN THE UNDERGRAD ORGANIZATION TO TAKE ON THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITIES OF DOING THE RIGHT THING.

FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN I WAS PRESIDENT FOR SIGMA... nod IN MY CHAPTER, MANY BROS. AND PLEDGEES UNDER MY LEADERSHIP KNEW, I WOULD SUSPSEND THEM FOR ANY CRAZY B.S. THAT WOULD POP OFF INCLUDING THE "DEAN OF PLEDGEES".
THEY KNEW MY "RAFT"......AND MY FINAL STATEMENT WAS, I AM NOT GOING TO JAIL FOR "U".....IN ADDITION, THE PROCESS HAD TO BE A PROCESS OF BONDING WITH THE PLEDGESS WHERE TRUST AND BROTHERHOOD WAS THE MAIN FOCUS....MEANING, IF SOMETHING WAS GOING WRONG DURING THE PROCESS THEY HAD THE AUTONOMY TO SPEAK ABOUT IT IN A "GRIP SESSION" AND I WOULD SETLLE IT FROM THERE, WHETHER THE BROS LIKE IT OR NOT.  MY NAME WAS ON THE LINE AS PRESIDENT!

IT WAS THE MINDSET THAT, HEY I AM TRYING TO SAVE OR DO THE BEST THING FOR THE CHAPTER, YOUR EDUCATION, YOUR MONEY, YOUR TIME, AND YOUR GOAL.  

SO I AM PROUDLY TO SAY, MY CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN SUSPENDED IN OVER 27Y/O, IF NOT MORE, UNLIKE ALL THE OTHERS!  I GUESS I WAS A GREAT LEADER/VISIONARY!

U-KNOW!

I agree with you on this one however we have to remember that people that make these statements without knowing anything about the roles/culture/purpose of these organizations only end up looking  crazy in the end.  It is like the whole outside looking in type deal where you don't really know what goes on, you only can see bits and pieces.  Some do it for the popularity, others do it for the legacy.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:16:29 AM by TJ1906 » Logged

"WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL I HATED POLY SCI, NOW THAT I'M OLDER I KNOW TO LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE!!!"
WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »

I believe the undergrad one should be gone. It takes mere kids, and puts them through hell just to belong. I dont believe a person has the ability to truly consent at that point in their life.

Young people doing crazy things to fit in never do well in building confidence either, which is why I made the statement of cancelling the greek organizations for undergrad.

That's just a trait of young people. .. (desiring acceptance, popularity, shared focus, shared experiences and power).  Even if we eliminate BGLO chapters at the undergraduate level, the young people will seek that experience in another group.  

At black colleges you pledge to join EVERYTHING.  Band, choir, Phi Beta Lambda, dance groups, modeling troupes, service organizations, fellowships, athletics, etc . .  . .the kids like testing their limits.  

For our organizations, we should be realistic and begin to decry brutal hazing rituals, and those who put our orgs at risk.  Unfortunately, no one wants to define exactly which acts can have dire consequences; due to legal concerns.  We just package everything up as hazing; which ironically has a 'hazy' definition.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:22:10 AM by WileECoyote06 » Logged

Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »

I agree with GK in that the process needing to be very selective.  Time out for these lines of 70 and 80 folks....makes it even more difficult to monitor and it creates even bigger cliques

Sometimes people get so hell bent on #'s that they don't look at who they are bringing in. Sororities end up adding girls that really don't add a thing to the organization.

When I was at FVSU my chapter had lines every year so we somewhat cut down on the 60+ girls on one line.....but in an effort to make sure there was no blackballing going on my advisors were adamant about being "fair". But what looks decent on paper isn't necessarily the best one for your chapter.  

I can't tell you how many times I have had a conversation with my advisors about girls that seemed to be ok on paper but I didn't want them....that is because I knew these chicks and the problems they could cause.....but we were just being mean according to them. About 6 mos to a year later the conversation would go like this.....

Advisor :  well why didn't you tell me about so and so? I didn't know she was so foolish...

VG:  I DID tell you about so and so, you just didn't hear me...you're just gonna have to deal with them
now.....guess you like paying high sorority dues

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!!
Ramese98
Assistant GM

2014 Southern Region Basketball Champs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »

as one who is an advisor of an undergrad chapter and Regional Director of Collegiate Affairs for my fraternity, this topic falls directly in my lap. I deal with this on a day to day basis...it is my second job. I hold varying views on this matter, but because I am an officer I cannot speak it publicly, but I will say that EDUCATION is the KEY...too many "old school" members are the proponents of a lot of the problems. They always like to begin, "when I was on line...."  The next time you are around someone who does that listen and ask them about the fun stuff and what they learned. I did that one time and the brother shut up, and I said exactly,  "If your experience was that horrible and cruel, I doubt you would be sitting around talking about and laughing. NO one choses to remember and laugh about being beat, and shyt so you can take that story on somewhere." Yeah he got mad and said somethings, but the conversation ended and he moved on.

Twin Que82: I know the problem that you are talking about and it is not the same for all the organizations at ASU just the same two. One of them are suspened and the other one seems to be trying to do right, but the OLD NON-FINANCIAL BRUHS by Orene keep pushing them back. Check your INBOX

Albany State University: College on a Personal Level...
Twin Que ASU
Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »

Something is truly missing from the undergrad experience today.  It's sad that traditions have been lost and memories skewed.  To be honest, as far as BGLOs go, the current atmosphere is another reflection of our out of control community and social structure.  I see younger frat brothers that should be friends spend all day challenging and questioning one another for legitimacy.  This type of action is unruly and unnecessary and lends itself to gangland mentality.  We can so better if we as older members get and stay involved.  This is why I encourage my wayward brothers to get financial and involved.  It would be nice to see lines again and the antics associated with public pledging but I doubt that will ever happen again, that ship has sailed...............
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:06:07 PM by Twin Que ASU » Logged

Friendship is Essential to the Soul
An HBCU Fan!!!
Neymar
Assistant GM

النصر لنا

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »

That's just a trait of young people. .. (desiring acceptance, popularity, shared focus, shared experiences and power).  Even if we eliminate BGLO chapters at the undergraduate level, the young people will seek that experience in another group.  

At black colleges you pledge to join EVERYTHING.  Band, choir, Phi Beta Lambda, dance groups, modeling troupes, service organizations, fellowships, athletics, etc . .  . .the kids like testing their limits.  

For our organizations, we should be realistic and begin to decry brutal hazing rituals, and those who put our orgs at risk.  Unfortunately, no one wants to define exactly which acts can have dire consequences; due to legal concerns.  We just package everything up as hazing; which ironically has a 'hazy' definition.

Kids will be kids, but we can take away things to make it easier to keep them on the straight and narrow Angel

Zoom
SkegeeFAMU
Assistant GM

Trustee Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »

I don't think so but perhaps going back to being VERY selective would be a start...I'm not sure that "intake" is the correct process... nod

When I look at some of the recent undergrads, I end up scratching my head, asking myself, how in the "L" did they get to become a member?

Too many of our young folks are joining for the wrong reason.

Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!
j1908
Assistant GM

Aka in the making.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »

^^^^I hear you Skeegee. I was at a meeting last year and several of the young Sorors came in sleeveless dress and showing tattoos. I sent out a blast email to everyone regarding the wear to Sorority meetings.  Makes you wonder.

Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.
O-Line Pride 57
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »

You can educate these dudes all you want but the brain washing will never go away.

"To be a good bruh you have to pledge a certain way" This statement has lead to kids getting beat like they stole something only to find out when they graduate and enter adulthood, no one really cares what you went thru in undergrad.

I Need Gas Money
Jaimac
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »

I don't think so but perhaps going back to being VERY selective would be a start...I'm not sure that "intake" is the correct process... nod

When I look at some of the recent undergrads, I end up scratching my head, asking myself, how in the "L" did they get to become a member?

Ummm.....The new initiates are joining because they received the invitation and have come up with the $$$.  In some cases, the undergrad membership is not using their best judgement during the screening process.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~
WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »

Ummm.....The new initiates are joining because they received the invitation and have come up with the $$$.  In some cases, the undergrad membership is not using their best judgement during the screening process.

I'd say there isn't enough 'inviting'. . .moreso it's a vetting process after they declare their interest.  I'm not against recruiting members who already embody the spirit of the org; but most people are against recruiting.

Ramese98
Assistant GM

2014 Southern Region Basketball Champs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »

I have sat back and read some of the lines and I can say, since I  know some of you and your BGLO affiliation....

I have heard an AKA, Delta, Alpha, Omega and Sigma all agree to the same thing...it goes back to recruiting.  So many have forgotten the art of recruiting. There is nothing wrong with doing invitation. I encourage it, it makes the member or accountable and makes the member look harder at what it is he/she looks for which in hindsight is a direct reflection of how he/she see his/her organization

Albany State University: College on a Personal Level...
j1908
Assistant GM

Aka in the making.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »

I feel that BGLOs are necessary for the survival of our community, can one imagine who would fill the void for our programs of service? certainly not the mainstream or the government. Why isn't the positive publicized? I had the opportunity to see camaraderie and community just recently at the various plots of BGLOs at Clark's homecoming, there was not one incident among them and made me glad to see the various BGLO's interacting in a positive way. Special shout outs to the Alphas who had the peach cobbler dish!

Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.
Pages: 1st 1 [2] 3 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

News