Quantcast
Florida A&M University Sets New Enrollment Record 13,089 up from the 13,070
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 06:15:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  Florida A&M University Sets New Enrollment Record 13,089 up from the 13,070
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 » Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Florida A&M University Sets New Enrollment Record 13,089 up from the 13,070  (Read 2267 times)
NovaSkegee
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »

Monday, August 30, 2010

Florida A&M University Sets New Enrollment Record
FAMU enrolled 13,089 students for Fall 2010. That’s highest since Fall 2004, when FAMU brought had 13,070.

WCTV 2 CBS Thomasville-Tallahassee

FAMU Press Release

Tallahassee, FL - President James H. Ammons has broken FAMU’s all-time enrollment record.

FAMU enrolled 13,089 students for Fall 2010. That’s highest since Fall 2004, when FAMU brought had 13,070

One reason for the enrollment increase is a big boost in community college transfers. The Ammons administration has made a practice of recruiting at every Florida community college (except the Florida Keys Community College) multiple times per year.

Former President Frederick S. Humphries created a recruitment program in 1985 that increased enrollment every year until he retired in 2001. He left the university with 12,349 students. Enrollment finally surpassed the 13,000-mark under President Fred Gainous, whose recruiting activities were led by Humphries-era veteran William “Bill” McCrary.

The years of enrollment growth came to an end in 2005 when trustees such as Bill Jennings and R.B. Holmes, Jr. let Interim President Castell Bryant destroy the university’s recruitment program and send enrollment into a nosedive. FAMU only had 11,567 students by Fall 2008.

The current student body is still smaller than FAMU’s classroom capacity. In 1997, Humphries and Ammons announced their goal of expanding FAMU’s student body to at least 15,000 by 2003. After the Board of Regents approved the plan, FAMU based its classroom building construction on that anticipated number.

When Ammons took over as president in 2007, he recommitted FAMU to getting its enrollment up to 15,000, the number it was supposed to reach years ago.

The enrollment boost is a big part of Ammons' strategy to increase the university’s budget and save faculty and staff jobs.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/101833323.html
Cholly
Assistant GM

YES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »

The years of enrollment growth came to an end in 2005 when trustees such as Bill Jennings and R.B. Holmes, Jr. let Interim President cast-Hell bryant destroy the university’s recruitment program and send enrollment into a nosedive.[/b] FAMU only had 11,567 students by Fall 2008.

They destroyed new student recruitment AND graduate recruitment by corporations and governments.

They DELIBERATELY tried to dismantle everything about the University and a big part of their efforts were the deliberate lies and negative PR gainous and cast-hell spread about the school in their samboish doing of jebs' bidding.  Angry
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:24:57 PM by Cholly » Logged

GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »

I am loving this!

I am so proud of my alma mater.

And I am sure those folks down the hill  Grin and across the railroad tracks are greener than green over FAMU's GREAT news!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:00:30 PM by GALFAMU » Logged

The GOP Is A Party Of "MAD MEN" Living In A "MODERN FAMILY" world.--Matthew Dowd
NovaSkegee
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »

That's great for Florida A&M University to be back on track.

Just a thought. When you look at FAMU as the only public HBCU in Florida, is it really impressive to have 13,000 students at the university when say for example in North Carolina there's nearly 11,000 at North Carolina A&T, around 8,600 at NCCU, around 6,283 at Fayetteville State and around 3,264 at Elizabeth City State, That's like close to 30,000 students at the HBCUs.

Just a thought when knowing Florida has way more black population than the state of North Carolina.
SkegeeFAMU
Assistant GM

Trustee Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »

That's great for Florida A&M University to be back on track.

Just a thought. When you look at FAMU as the only public HBCU in Florida, is it really impressive to have 13,000 students at the university when say for example in North Carolina there's nearly 11,000 at North Carolina A&T, around 8,600 at NCCU, around 6,283 at Fayetteville State and around 3,264 at Elizabeth City State, That's like close to 30,000 students at the HBCUs.

Just a thought when knowing Florida has way more black population than the state of North Carolina.

Considering the fact that Blacks are no longer limited to attending HBCU's, and considering the numbers of schools that our HBCU's have to compete against, I think it's very impressive to see any of our schools break the 10K mark.  It really illustrates the caliber of recruiting that FAMU is doing.

Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!
NovaSkegee
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »

Considering the fact that Blacks are no longer limited to attending HBCU's, and considering the numbers of schools that our HBCU's have to compete against, I think it's very impressive to see any of our schools break the 10K mark.  It really illustrates the caliber of recruiting that FAMU is doing.

What is the avg. GPA and SAT scores of FAMU's black students compared to say the avg. GPA and SAT scores of black students from Florida that attend Florida State University, University of Florida and University of Central Florida.

That would be an interesting comparison and wonder what the avg student debt is for black Floridians who graduated from FAMU compared to FSU, UF, UCF, FIU  and USF? Asking because I wonder if black students have more financial support at Florida's others universities seeing they must enroll more black students than does FAMU.

That would be some intersting information to view seeing FAMU is back up to 13,000.

Florida A&M University
African Americans 11,123 (Fall 2009)
Avg. ACT Score 19
Avg. SAT Score 941
High School GPA 3.03

University of Florida
African Americans 4,305 (Fall 2009)

Florida State University
African Americans 4,019 (Fall 2009)

University of Central Florida
African Americans 4,849 (Fall 2009)
Average SAT Total: 1225

Florida International University
African Americans  4,910  (Fall 2009)

University of South Florida
African Americans  5,127 (Fall 2010)

Florida Atlantic University
African Americans  4,757 (Fall 2009)

University of West Florida
African Americans  1,166  (Fall 2009)

University of North Florida
African Americans  1,545  (Fall 2008)

Over 30,000 blacks attend other public colleges in Florida.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:54:14 PM by NovaSkegee » Logged
Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

True, SFF and whether people want to believe it or not location is a factor...

FL is long vertically and horizontally...FAMU is all the way up in North FL...to have 13,000+ is impressive...

Put the Main Campus in Tampa or Orlando and you would probably see even more students...

And were BCC public, they would most likely have more students too..

Congrats FAMU...excellence draws people...hoping you reach higher heights in the near future..

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!!
Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

And let me add not only is FAMU the only public HBCU, not in central location, not near the highest concentration of AA's in the state, BUT they are also in the same town as one of the state's flagship institutions...Heck yeah 13,000 is great..

Jay_Thomas
Assistant GM

Da'HOUSE, Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »

I think FAMU also gets quite a few out-of-state students as well.
I know they go in droves down there from the ATL as well as other cities. 

Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »

nod

Folks from FAMU move to Atlanta (with everybody else and their mama) and they send their children to their Alma Mater nod

NovaSkegee
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

Florida A&M University
Florida Resident (In-State) 85.4%
Non-Florida Resident (Out-of- State) 14.6%

North Carolina A&T State University
North Carolina Resident (In-State) 81.7%
Non-North Carolina Resident (Out-of- State) 18.3%
SkegeeFAMU
Assistant GM

Trustee Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:27 PM »

nod

Folks from FAMU move to Atlanta (with everybody else and their mama) and they send their children to their Alma Mater nod

FAMU is one of the better HBCU's at instilling school pride in its alumns.

A lot of FAMU's success in enrollment is attributed to its programs.  You have a School of Pharmacy that's very well known and respected, and is one of only four Pharmacy schools located on HBCU campuses.  The SBI is one of the top business schools, bar none.  Of course, we all know the contributions that the School of Music have made.  

Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!
GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »

When I was at FAMU (in the 80's) you could almost count the  number of us out-of-state students.

Now, their numbers are growing, I would say because of alums sending their kids back, the repuations of the various disciplines and Dr. Humphries making it a point to recruit beyond Florida.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:05:41 PM by GALFAMU » Logged

The GOP Is A Party Of "MAD MEN" Living In A "MODERN FAMILY" world.--Matthew Dowd
NovaSkegee
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »

FAMU is one of the better HBCU's at instilling school pride in its alumns.  

Isn't that kind of easy to do when the campus is the only public HBCU in the entire state for its entire history?

That's kind of like saying just imagine if Alabama A&M and Alabama State were one university or if Morgan State, U of Maryland-Eastern Shore, Bowie State and Coppin State were one campus. I'd think school pride would rival FAMU.

Like South Carolina State Univesity has a lot of school pride like FAMU. When you see that large football stadium they have when they only have just around 4,000 students. They are the only public HBCU in the state. That kind of adds to that pride.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:05:35 PM by NovaSkegee » Logged
Jay_Thomas
Assistant GM

Da'HOUSE, Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »

Florida A&M University
Florida Resident (In-State) 85.4%
Non-Florida Resident (Out-of- State) 14.6%

North Carolina A&T State University
North Carolina Resident (In-State) 81.7%
Non-North Carolina Resident (Out-of- State) 18.3%

***pickin up rock and throwin it at Nova***

OKAY, FINE THEN... I WAS WRONG, DAMMMIT!     lol

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 » Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News