Quantcast
Shaw football coach Asberry and staff exposed
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:42:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  Shaw football coach Asberry and staff exposed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 » Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shaw football coach Asberry and staff exposed  (Read 15861 times)
humbleplayer
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »

Dear Onnidan Fan Forum,
I would like to invite you  in on a serious problem with Shaw University football program. The school holds lots of great historical achievements from being tagged as the mother of HBCU’s in North Carolina, to just recently being selected as the Tom Joyner foundation school of the month for march 2010.  Shaw university is a great university  but when they let the wrong people become a part of that tradition they are compromising something that many people have put their all into.  People tend to overlook all the good things that someone does and hold onto the one thing that someone did wrong.
The purpose for this thread is to just put things on the table and talk about them as adults.  Another reason is to talk about how putting yourself in the wrong environment can be costly regardless of what your aspirations and goals are.  Let’s be perfectly clear in no shape form or fashion do I have a problem with the University its just the football program (the coaches from top to bottom).  I know many of you think the world of having the privilege of coming to a football game to root your team on and show school spirit.  Its been done year in and year out for decades before us and will still take place after we are gone.  Many people don’t understand what takes place behind the scenes that players have to endure from coaches before we can get to the game of football.  I personally feel that this is a topic that many athletes can relate to.  Many athletes might not be willing to sit down and put things on the table because they feel like they have to put up with what’s taking place or some feel like they can’t do any better.
I would like to give you some background information I have been playing organized football since the age of 7 and I have been a stellar athlete since suiting up for the first time. I played through high school and continued to take my game to the next level with the assistance of great coaches Dick Cline, Mizzel, stevens Broady,and coach Reavis.  I played at a high level throughout my high school career and earned a spot in the shrine bowl in 2004. I did well in the shrine bowl game but many coaches and players asked me daily where was I going to play college football and my response was that I don’t know.  It shocked people to hear that coming from me knowing how gifted I am with no sense of direction.  I must admit that I didn’t take the classroom seriously and just doing enough to get by can be costly.  I attended a technical school for 1 year and a half to get my grades better.  While attending I still hit the weight room hard and continued to run and keep myself in shape.  I had three choices on the table to pursue my football career in Catawba, Western Carolina, and Shaw university. A close acquaintance to the family put in a lot of work and convinced me to attend Shaw University.  I remember taking the visit and Darrell Asberry seemed to be a good guy and I wanted to be a part of the university and the football program.  He looked me in the face and said that I was the missing piece to the puzzle.  The following week a story was published about me in the Winston Salem Chronicle letting people know that I would be playing again and at Shaw the city was happy for me and they knew that Shaw was getting a great student, athlete and person.  I have to admit that this decision was one of the dumbest decisions.  Why did I take Shaw over Catawba and Western Carolina looking back after the smoke cleared?  I went in and showcased my talent to the football program year in and year out and did outstanding when it came to competition I was a step ahead because I did many things outside of what they asked for on my own weightlifting, running with other athletes at other schools that wanted to be the best at what they did just like I did.  I was stronger and hit harder and ran faster and more importantly I kept my nose clean and made good grades and football took  care of itself.  My best was never good enough for Darrell Asberry he favored only the players from his neck of the woods which was the down south. I came here ready for competition with anyone because I felt like I prepared myself and my talent speak for itself.  I love competition and always been around competition.  When I got to Shaw it wasn’t about how well you could play the game it was about being from down south and having a past with Asberry. He didn’t care how bad it would hurt the team if he brought players there and promised them that they would start before they even competed with other players he really meant what he said and saw that it happen.  It doesn’t matter how well you did in spring ball or practice only his people play end of discussion.  He runs a very unfair program that rewards players (his circle of friends) for being slack.  Asberry wanted me to feel like I’m not good enough to play for his program.  I made numerous contributions to the team and even made big plays to assist with making it to championship and winning.   I would describe him as a snake in the grass and people really don’t know who he is as a person because he lurks low and the grass over him.  People seemed to be fooled by his football record. There is much more to being a head football coach than football you are in a position to mold young boys into men while they’re away from home and the only thing that you can show them is that you don’t care about them but when something goes wrong in your circle you want people to pray for you and your family and you seem to forget about all the people that you have short changed and treated wrong when they need assistance inside or outside football.  I have been here 3 years and this guy only knows how to say hey and bye.  Asberry have never said nothing more than that to me over my tenure here.  Asberry is a very low down person and there isn’t many people that like him because of the person that he is.  How can you coach and your players don’t care for you something wrong with that picture.  He burns bridges with coaches and players just a very negative man that needs to find a way to be a part of the solution instead of the problem.  The guy treats his team like losers.  How do you win the CIAA championship in November and receive your rings in September and to make things worse the rings are fake and turning people finger green.  I recall my friend at Catawba showing me his ring over spring break and I couldn’t show him mines because of a snake.  He needs to be more business minded and really take advantage of the financial assistance the program receives from Willie Gary.  I don’t think that he would be too proud of the things that take place with the football program mainly from Asberry and the rest of the coaching staff.  This guy is a disgrace to football and coaching and he doesn’t deserve to be anyone’s coach with his ethics and terrible personality. I just wanted to vent my feelings out over this situation because sometimes people need to be put in there place.  I put my thoughts on paper and transferred them into a song about low down Asberry.  I would like for you to listen to my song and leave feedback regardless of where you stand on this issue.  I know that many of you can relate to this you maybe dealt with bad coaches at HBCU’s.  Well to close things out learn a lesson from things that you go through and share your experience with people so that maybe you can reach someone that might have made the same mistake as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr_6QQnulVQ          

dedhorse no
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:40:00 PM by humbleplayer » Logged
MEAC 4 LIFE
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

70 views and no comments?? I know somebody wants to say something

The wisest man knows he doesn‘t have all the answers, while the want to be wise man thinks he knows it all
DRUMMA1
Assistant GM

"Hail, Hail To Thee..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »

I am never an advocate of "outting" or "exposing" people, especially in public or public forums.  1. "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."  You should have left Shaw after your freshman or sophomore year if the situation was as terrible as you say that it was and you saw that you would not advance or be happy with that program.  2.  You should ask the moderators of this forum to delete this topic then tell Coach Asburry, man-to-man or via email, exactly how you feel.  3.  Always remember that nothing good comes out of putting someone on blast because karma is a b*tch.

WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:51 PM »

Tell em why you mad son.. .

Eagle Banker
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »

All I can say is OUCH! 

That is what a public HBCU sports forum is for.  To share information and your point of view.  While some may disagree, we have accept the freedom of speech to allow this young man to share his point of view.

North Carolina Central University, Eagle Pride Amplified!!!!
FunCkMaster
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »

Tell em why you mad son.. .

lol

BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2013 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
Oh yeah, and the Dallas Cowboys, Duke Basketball, New York Yankees...ARE STILL THE REAL AXIS OF EVIL..
DRUMMA1
Assistant GM

"Hail, Hail To Thee..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »

Eagle Banker, I disagree.  Some things should be dealt with behind closed doors, especially "in-house business" and personal issues.  I have seen people get sued for defamation of character over what someone posted in a newspaper or forum.  This young brotha would get more positive feedback by expressing his issues with the both Asberry and the A.D. instead of a public forum.

FSUHALL
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »

Cliff notes!

"I been through too much not to worship Him"

Fish and grits every morning and evening!
Jumbo97
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »

70 views and no comments?? I know somebody wants to say something
I'll let the PS, Capler, and the Bears take the lead on this.  If this was from a Panther, I question airing program problems in public while or after accepting the benefits.
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

I don't mind the public outting but I'm more concern for the young man, not Shaw. I can't go into detail right now because I'm at the gym and on the Iphone. His issues has to do more with life, expectations, self worth and anger. I will address tomorrow when I get to a computer and I can do it without even mentioning Shaw.
TrueEagle
Assistant GM

Asst. GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »

1. I disagree with airing dirty laundry like this the web.
2. You should meet with the coach and discuss your concerns...but be prepared to face the outcome and consequences.
3. Should you have this meeting, stick to the facts and find out what you can do to help the team. Trust me, that's his concern (the team) and not your playing time.

Good luck to you.

"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepherd, Founder of NCCU    nod
Eagle Banker
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »

Eagle Banker, I disagree.  Some things should be dealt with behind closed doors, especially "in-house business" and personal issues.  I have seen people get sued for defamation of character over what someone posted in a newspaper or forum.  This young brotha would get more positive feedback by expressing his issues with the both Asberry and the A.D. instead of a public forum.
Drumma,
I understand your point of view.  I think we often limit what we say or do because we have been conditioned to discuss things in private, outside of the public eye.  While I may not agree with this young mans approach, nor do I think the medium for which he chose to voice his concerns is appropriate.  I do think he has a voice and we should allow him to use it.

What I will say, was that in reading the beginning of his letter, he is an intelligent young man.  I hope that he and Coach Asberry can work through their differences as men.  Sometimes to get folks to the table you have to use unorthodoxed means.  My only hope is that this young man has not done more to hurt his future than to help it.

North Carolina Central University, Eagle Pride Amplified!!!!
DRUMMA1
Assistant GM

"Hail, Hail To Thee..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:25:40 PM »

Well said, True Eagle and Capler.

takeittothelimit
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »

the forum is for people to give their view. The young man has a right to say what he wants. it is not for us to decide for him. it's only his opinion at what happen there.
ECSUVikFan
Prophyte

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:33:40 AM »

If the man got it in his heart, then, he can say it, Its must be something to his story if he feels this way, keeping things bottled up can be stressful, hope things work out for him!!!!

Shemae Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 » Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

News