Quantcast
Growing Up/The Over 30 Crowd
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 06:56:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  Growing Up/The Over 30 Crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1st « 1 2 [3] 4 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Growing Up/The Over 30 Crowd  (Read 3099 times)
SkegeeFAMU
Assistant GM

Trustee Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »

Albany Ga!!!!
Jimmy Hot Dogs
Belk's Downtown
25 Cent Dances in Hazard Hall

As far as Albany is concerned, lets not forget WJIZ 96.3 FM and Fred "Doc" Suttles. WJIZ had to be one of the first radio stations catering to an African American market that was on the FM dial with a full 100,000 watt signal.  They also did the play by play for Monroe HS and AlbSU football games!!

Since I moved around as a kid, I'm going to reminisce about a few spots in my stops.

Tuskegee -  
-Was very small when we were there, but I remember "The Block" across from campus being a vibrant commercial strip

Tallahassee -
-FAMU Football with the late Jake Gaither on the sidelines
-The 100 when they had between 100 - 200 members
-Frenchtown

Fitzgerald -
-Five cent ice cream cones and .50 hamburgers at Dairy Queen
-The Melody Inn
-American Legion
-MIC
-The Drive-in theater
-Clem Clown on Circus Parade on WALB
-Charlie Ward, Sr. making his coaching debut at Monitor HS
-Tom's Salted Peanuts soaked in a bottle of Coca Cola
-Nehi Flavored Drinks
-Watching the Tropicana Orange Juice Trains come through on almost a daily basis

Atlanta-
-Sid and Marty Kroft, and the Ice Rink at what's now the CNN Center
-More visits to Six Flags than I can count
-WAOK AM and WIGO AM in the pre V-103, Kiss 104, Hot 107.5, 107.5/97.5 days
-WSB as an NBC affiliate
-WXIA as an ABC affiliate
-WAGA as a CBS affiliate
-Bad hair Monica Kaufman becoming the first Black weekday anchor of a 6 pm newscast of a major TV Market station in the South
-The Equitable building being the tallest building in Atlanta
-All the Black folks either living in the "Old Fourth Ward" area around the King Center, or in the neighborhoods around the AUC.
-The original Pascals being one of the in places for Black folks to eat.
-No MARTA Rails
-Braves games in the lean era between Hank Aaron's playing days of the 70's and their years of success of the 90's - 2000's
-The Original Underground Atlanta
-Atlanta Stadium
-Atlanta City Auditorium
-The Omni Arena
-Going to Georgia Championship Wrestling taping sessions
-Jack and Jill
Let me stop.  I could fill up a whole page. lmao

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:00:18 PM by SkegeeFAMU » Logged

Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!
Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »

-Bad hair Monica Kaufman becoming the first Black weekday anchor of a 6 pm newscast of a major TV Market station in the South

That chick had the worst hair in the WORLD didn't she? 

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for platinum hair.....that is the only hairstyle that works for her...

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!!
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »

I bet some of you Cats went down for the neighborhood barbecue when a dinosaur got stuck in the tar pits.   
SkegeeFAMU
Assistant GM

Trustee Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »

That chick had the worst hair in the WORLD didn't she? 

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for platinum hair.....that is the only hairstyle that works for her...

I will say that the 1975 version of Monica was easier on the eyes than the current version is.  Too bad they didn't have High-def back then. lol

GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »

-Bad hair Monica Kaufman becoming the first Black weekday anchor

OOOOOOOOH! That stuff on her head was a hot mess!  WOW!
My out-of-town visitors  would look at her and that head and her clothes and they all said she needed a stylist and a hairdresser--ASAP!!!!!!

And for some reason-- to me--she always seemed to be "the Mammy" anchor.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:02:59 PM by GALFAMU » Logged

The GOP Is A Party Of "MAD MEN" Living In A "MODERN FAMILY" world.--Matthew Dowd
soflorattler
Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet.  If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog! There was no email!!  We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!  Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there!  Stamps were 10 cents!
but you didn't have to worry about about thousands of sexual fiends contacting you  and your reading and writing skills were horned in the library and literary skills by the letter writing
Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us.  As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our a** ! Nowhere was safe!
and have created a generation that is more violence than any before. Our parents not only beat us they may actually kill us or they completely ignore us (don’t know which is worse).

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes!  If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!  Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!  There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car.  We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby!  Dig?
… but a record was around $1.00 and some of you still have the hard copies of these classics.
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting!  If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it! There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends." OH MY GOD !!!  Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!!  And then there's TEXTING.  Yeah, right.  Please!  You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

So none of you are using the convenience of technology, right.  You sound like your dad when “new” the telephone, television and computer were invented.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was!  It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!!  You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
. … and THAT was a good thing?
We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics!  We had the Atari 2600!  With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'.  Your screen guy was a little square!  You actually had to use your imagination!!!  And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever!  And you could never win.  The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died!  Just like LIFE!

some of us can win at those ancient games – I guess it’s a matter of talent (hah!!!)

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on TV! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing!  You had to get off your a**  and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!  NO REMOTES!!!
 poor baby – so I guess you still don’t have remote and still have to get up off your fat a-- – right???

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning.  Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!
This is another instance of selection memory loss. We have TV Land so we know you had cartoons every day after school along with some neat kids TV shows. (remember M-I-C-K-E-Y  you know the rest now?)
And we didn't have microwaves.  If we wanted to heat up something, we had to use the stove!  Imagine that!
you complaining or bragging about eating real food?
And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long.  Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort.  And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
Try looking at the news….
And car seats - oh, please!  Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on.  If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
I hope that was a joke – when you know better you do better
See!  That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten!  You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

You wouldn’t last five minutes in school today as a 13 year old –  wish you could try it though.

Regards,
The under 30 Crowd

Oh, my!! Really bothered, huh? All in fun, bruh...all in fun...

SkegeeFAMU
Assistant GM

Trustee Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »

My out-of-town visitors  would look at her and that head and her clothes and they all said she needed a stylist and a hairdresser--ASAP!!!!!!

Ain't nothing changed!! lmao

RamMan4Life
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »

Albany Ga!!!!
Jimmy Hot Dogs
Belk's Downtown
25 Cent Dances in Hazard Hall

As far as Albany is concerned, lets not forget WJIZ 96.3 FM and Fred "Doc" Suttles. WJIZ had to be one of the first radio stations catering to an African American market that was on the FM dial with a full 100,000 watt signal.  They also did the play by play for Monroe HS and AlbSU football games!!

Now you talking !!!!
 I still remember his quote....He was hit and hit H-A-R-D !!! Eating homemade peanut brittle while listening to a game was and still is a childhood memory I will always treasure.
Listening to the legendary Dean Grant from Albany State tell each freshman class...It's my way or Trailways...and meaning it !
Picking watermelons in Cordele and pears right outside of Moultrie (they made excellent pear preserves). I was over 12 before my parents bought jelly from a store.

I remember visiting Wauchula FL in the summer and catching the Saturday Creature Feature on WTOG Channel 44 out of Tampa/St. Pete area.              No cable back then ! Walking down into the woods behind my grandparents house and picking oranges and grapefruits from trees next to a river. Eating kumquats and running from the wild hogs that came up from the woods at night.

A past to cherish....a future to fulfill.

Class of '92

Home of the1960 Albany State College Rams, who finished the season UNDEFEATED and a DEFENSE UNSCORED UPON!!

KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY,INC.
 "Detrimental" Delta Xi Chapter
y04185
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »

Fort Monmouth, NJ/Long Branch, NJ
Going to Monmouth Beach
Asbury Amusement Park.  Too bad it's closed.
Making tunnels in the snow.
Seeing the New Jersey Devil.
Playing in the sand at Fort Hancock.  A kid dug up an artillery shell.
I can still remember the smell of the corner candy store.
Going to the candy store with a nickel and having the store owner cut a chunk of candy and wrap it in wax paper.

Fort Meade, MD
Playing army.
Sneaking into the NSA Building.
Watching the MPs direct traffic on Rockenbach Rd.
Feeding the ducks by the O Club.
Playing Little League Baseball
Meeting the Orioles coaching staff
Taking Daddy y TDY to Camp A.P. Hill, Camp Pickett, and/or Camp Indiantown Gap when he was in the 6th Armored Cavalry Regiment.
The Baltimore Riots.
The DC riots.  Watching the tanks in Daddy y's unit roll through DC.
The Baltimore Bullets.
The Baltimore Colts.
Daddy y driving us through The Block at night.  Mommie y was pissed.

Mount Gilead, NC
Walking to the pond to go fishing.
Fishing at the Hydro Dam.
Hauling a**  to higher ground when the alarm would go off at the dam.
Catching my first Rainbow Trout.
Hand slinging chitlins.
Hand churning butter.
Sawing wood for the wood heater.
Getting baptized in a pond.  There was a snake in the water.
A Moon Pie and a RC Cola.
Cheerwine.

Germany
Riding our bikes to the French border.
Going to the big PX at Kaiserslautern.
Going to the big BX at Ramstein
Riding the train to West Berlin.
Going to Switzerland.
The Boy Scout 50 Miler on the Rhine River.
Going to Paris.  It stank and was filthy.
Playing pinball all day on one dime.
Seeing the group America for free at the Youth Center.  We got so sick of that darn horse with no name.
The Devil's Table at Dahn.  They claimed to have the cleanest air in the world at the time.

Fayetteville
Sneaking into Rick's Lounge
Seeing The Commodores for a quarter at the Utopia.
Going swimming at the swimming hole and Cookie Baker yelling, "Snake!"
Going parking behind Autry Chrysler/Plymouth.
Beating up the white boys when we wanted to ride in the back of the bus.
Beating up the white boys when we wanted to ride in the front of the bus.
Walking the hallowed halls of 71st High School.
Watching Kathy McMillan out jump every boy in the state in the long jump.
House parties.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »

Ain't nothing changed!! lmao

YIKES!! Still the Mammy anchor with the messy hair..HMMM!!!

The GOP Is A Party Of "MAD MEN" Living In A "MODERN FAMILY" world.--Matthew Dowd
Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »

Believe it or not she looks much better than she used to look....she cut her hair short and dyed it...

Monica Pearson, formerly Monica Kaufman

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!!
GALFAMU
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 09:36:57 PM »

Oh yeah, that is better.  MUCH better! Thanks for the pic!

Cholly
Assistant GM

YES!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »

The JAW-JAH GIANT!!!
 On a clear cool night I could pick it up in Tallahassee.  nod

-Frenchtown

I don't know WHEN the last time you were in Tallahassee, but Frenchtown ain't there no mo. You wouldn't recognize what's left either. no

Cholly
Assistant GM

YES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »

I remember visiting Wauchula FL in the summer and catching the Saturday Creature Feature on WTOG Channel 44 out of Tampa/St. Pete area.              No cable back then ! Walking down into the woods behind my grandparents house and picking oranges and grapefruits from trees next to a river. Eating kumquats and running from the wild hogs that came up from the woods at night.

CreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaCher FeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaCher!!! With Docter Paul BEAR-RURH!  lol

y04185
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »

You haven't heard radio if you never heard Dr. Don Reid on WIDU. 

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Pages: 1st « 1 2 [3] 4 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News