Quantcast
NCCU Eagles celebrate the 1989 NCAA men's basketball national championship title
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 11:19:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  NCCU Eagles celebrate the 1989 NCAA men's basketball national championship title
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCCU Eagles celebrate the 1989 NCAA men's basketball national championship title  (Read 1520 times)
Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

"Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »

NCCU CENTENNIAL SPORTS HISTORY: DID YOU KNOW?

Men's Basketball Wins First NCAA Team National Championship at NCCU
 http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/athletic-dept/spec-rel/032310aaa.html

The Eagles celebrate the 1989 NCAA men's basketball national championship title.

March 23, 2010

Photo Gallery
http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/view.gal?id=66265

DID YOU KNOW? On March 25, 1989, in the NCAA Division II men's basketball national championship game in Springfield, Mass., North Carolina Central University defeated Southeast Missouri State, 73-46, to capture the school's first NCAA team national championship.

The 27-point margin of victory set a new NCAA championship game record; one that still stands today.

After defeating Norfolk State (67-64) and Virginia Union (60-55) to win the regional title, the Eagles edged Sacred Heart, 58-57, in the national quarterfinals when Dominique Stephens made the first of two free throws with no time remaining. In the semifinals, NCCU cruised past Jacksonville State, 90-70.

Three Eagles, Miles Clarke, Antoine Sifford and Dominique Stephens, were selected to the NCAA Championship All-Tournament Team, while Clarke earned Tournament Most Outstanding Player honors.

Head coach Michael Bernard was named Coach of the Year by the National Basketball Coaches Association.

As a team, NCCU led the nation (NCAA Division II) in scoring defense (56.0 points allowed per game) and field goal percentage defense (38.9 percent). The Eagles finished the season with a record of 28 wins, 4 losses.

Members of the 1989 national championship team were Charles Alston, Fred "Pop" Bennett, Henry Canty, Miles Clarke, Jeffrey Hayes, Joel Hopkins, Eric Jackson, Derrick Johnson, Derrick Leak, Adrian McKinnon, Marvin "Rat" Reed, Antoine Sifford, Dominique Stephens, Kelrick Thompson, Curtis Watkins, Head Coach Michael Bernard, Assistant Coach Gregory Jackson and Assistant Coach Ron Woodard.

As part of North Carolina Central University's Centennial celebration, the NCCU Department of Athletics will post sports history facts from the institution's first 100 years to its official web site, http://www.NCCUEaglePride.com, every week during the year-long observance.

On NCCU Wings of "Eagles Up - Soaring High" With Eagle Pride Amplified!  

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »

Eagle Pride! clap

Whether great or small, victory is victory!
Meciber 202
Assistant GM

We're Baaacck! MEAC Baby! 2010

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:04 PM »

That's what I'm talking about!!!  clap clap

2006 HBCU National Champions - NC Central University

Don't forget secret GOP strategy meetings sponsored by Koch bros: attendees included Congressmen, Governors, CEOs, National Chamber of Congress, and two Supreme Court Judges; all united to put GOP back in power. Could SC Judges be bought? smh
The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:15 PM »

That was a great Easter weekend in Springfield, Mass in 1989.  Only about 50 NCCU fans were there that weekend but we were extremely loud.   Grin  clap   bow

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »

That was a great Easter weekend in Springfield, Mass in 1989.  Only about 50 NCCU fans were there that weekend but we were extremely loud.   Grin  clap   bow

This is when I really started following NCCU sports.  I was a recent graduate at the time; but sadly, I had no idea NCCU was in the championship game. Cry  I have the dvd though. clap

Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

This is when I really started following NCCU sports.  I was a recent graduate at the time; but sadly, I had no idea NCCU was in the championship game. Cry  I have the dvd though. clap

Shame on you for not knowing that.    nono2   no  Were you living in Durham at the time? 

TrueEagle
Assistant GM

Asst. GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »

Hell, I was still in school and did not know they were that deep into the playoffs. Granted that was the semester that I pledged but we crossed at the end of February.

I guess since they did NOT win the CIAA tourney and most, if not all, of the playoff games were on the road, basketball season was basically over for the on-campus crowd....until the week of parties AFTER the championship that is!

"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepherd, Founder of NCCU    nod
Maroon and Gray
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »

Hell, I was still in school and did not know they were that deep into the playoffs. Granted that was the semester that I pledged but we crossed at the end of February.

I guess since they did NOT win the CIAA tourney and most, if not all, of the playoff games were on the road, basketball season was basically over for the on-campus crowd....until the week of parties AFTER the championship that is!

I would blame the athletic dept at that time for NOT getting the word out.  What were they thinking at the time?

Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »

Remember Chris Fisher was SID and Hank Lattimore was AD at that time.  I was very aware of what was going on with the basketball team and I lived in Louisville, Kentucky at that time.  I attended all of the playoff games except for the first one against Norfolk State in Norfolk.  There were chartered buses to the regional playoffs in Norfolk.

It was reported in the newspaper that the football team was still on campus practicing for spring football.  After we won the national championship it was reported that it was the football team that greated the basketball team and staff at the RDU airport on that Sunday afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:05:11 AM by The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green » Logged

eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »

Shame on you for not knowing that.    nono2   no  Were you living in Durham at the time? 

Yes, I was living in Durham at the time.  I remembered being surprised after hearing about the victory and then feeling bad for not being there to support them.  During that time, it was all about Duke in the papers and news.  I vow to never be out of place again. 

Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »

ep,

I have the newspaper articles from the Durham Herald - Sun and the Springfield, Mass newspaper permanently lamenated from all of the regional and Elite Eight games.  The championship game was taped delayed broadcasted on ESPN at midnight that Saturday night.  The fans in Springfield contirbuted money to have a championship celebration catered by the hotel after the game.  At midnight all of the fans were in front of TVs to watch that glorious event all over again.   Grin   Grin   clap   bow

Maroon and Gray
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »

That was a great Easter weekend in Springfield, Mass in 1989.  Only about 50 NCCU fans were there that weekend but we were extremely loud.   Grin  clap   bow

This is when I really started following NCCU sports.  I was a recent graduate at the time; but sadly, I had no idea NCCU was in the championship game. Cry  I have the dvd though. clap

Shame on you for not knowing that.    nono2   no  Were you living in Durham at the time?  

Yes, I was living in Durham at the time.  I remembered being surprised after hearing about the victory and then feeling bad for not being there to support them.  During that time, it was all about Duke in the papers and news.  I vow to never be out of place again.  

Were you in Springfield, Mass in 1993?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News