Quantcast
JSU hires new offensive coordinator
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 05:24:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  JSU hires new offensive coordinator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JSU hires new offensive coordinator  (Read 1474 times)
wsm
Assistant GM

Head Coach

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

JSU hires new offensive coordinator

The Clarion-Ledger • January 5, 2010

Earnest Wilson is the new offensive coordinator at Jackson State.

Wilson, who was recently fired as running backs coach at New Mexico State, was moving belongings into the football complex offices today and confirmed to The Clarion-Ledger that he has accepted the job.

Coach Rick Comegy was not immediately available to comment about the new hire.

Wilson, 44, replaces James Woody, who was fired soon after JSU completed a 3-7 2009 season that saw the Tigers finish last or next-to-last in the Southwestern Athletic Conference in nearly every offensive statistical category, including scoring and total offense.

Wilson, who played running back for Texas Tech from 1984-86, has 18 years experience as a college assistant, including a three-year stint at Alabama A&M. He was the running backs coach at New Mexico State from 2005-08 under Hal Mumme. He was retained by new coach Dewayne Walker for the 2009 season but was fired, along with offensive coordinator Timm Rosenbach, soon after the season ended.

Wilson also spent four years as a head coach for indoor-league teams in Dayton, Ohio, Greenville, S.C., and Jacksonville, Fla.

Wildcat1025
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:16 PM »

Let's see if he brings Hal Mumme's offense with him

Fort Valley State University
www.fvsu.edu
www.fvsusports.com
Branj2
Assistant GM

2007 SWAC Champions

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »

Interesting. Our offense cant get any worse than what we were last season. Hopefully he can provide our offense with the spark that we need.

Jackson State Tigers 2007 SWAC Champions

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2005 BCS(Fiesta Bowl)

Hoover Bucs 2000,2002 6A State Champions

2009 AFL2 American Conference Champions WB Scranton Pioneers

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFK4XxMsWuEri-ZlbFGeTfh89KSmW-vBUs-O7yQWeDi5Osplj8eg
Cats4ever
Assistant GM

General Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »

Interesting. Our offense cant get any worse than what we were last season. Hopefully he can provide our offense with the spark that we need.
It sounds as if he is planning a wide open air attack because his whole background would suggest a wide open attack.

Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26
TUTiger
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:11 AM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100106/SPORTS030101/1060362/1073/It-s-official-Wilson-hired-as-offensive-honcho

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else."   Booker T. Washington
2014 Men SIAC & South Regional Basketball Div.II Champions
Brother Tony
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »

Lips Sealed tiptoe

TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"
MilesBear1
Assistant GM

Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »

I'm impress and I am excited to see what he has to offer for the Sonic Tigers. Congratulations to Coach Wilson and I wish him well at JSU and good luck and keep working hard Coach Comegy. nod clap bow

"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendence Champions
2011,2013 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011 SIAC Football Champions
2011 Pioneer Bowl
Brother Tony
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »

I'll wait until spring practice.... tiptoe

TUSKEGEE.....THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!

"BRINGING THE WORLD TO TUSKEGEE AND TUSKEGEE TO THE WORLD"
Jaggrad
Assistant GM

2013 SWAC Champs!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »

If Records meant everything.... no

Ah Well Good Luck with the Hire....Hope the SU/JSU attendance Numbers will Increase this year.... Time will Tell
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:07:24 PM by Jaggrad » Logged

Jaimac
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »

That is true.  Time will tell if this was a good hire or not. 

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~
Golden Kitten
Assistant GM

Student Advokitty/Fashion Police

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »

Wait for me BT... tiptoe

Teeny-Honor Roll & Writer of Week-Paul Robeson-Malcolm X Aca
Marauderslim
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

Ernest Wilson selection is basically average at best.. I thought Jackson State were going get somebody with better resume like Noah Brindise, Charile Stubbs, Larry Kueck, Kent Schoolfield and best but least some qb's coach from BCS or Big Sky conference...  I want to know who's Slick Rick Comegy going to hired as offensive line coach and qb's coach.. 

The question is does Jackson State has personnel to run Hal Mumme raid Offense..   
Cats4ever
Assistant GM

General Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

Ernest Wilson selection is basically average at best.. I thought Jackson State were going get somebody with better resume like Noah Brindise, Charile Stubbs, Larry Kueck, Kent Schoolfield and best but least some qb's coach from BCS or Big Sky conference...  I want to know who's Slick Rick Comegy going to hired as offensive line coach and qb's coach.. 

The question is does Jackson State has personnel to run Hal Mumme raid Offense..   
You are hard to impress!  The main thing JSU will need is a QB that is very accurate with the ball.  The air raid was designed to let avearge players compete with better players.  But it sounds like this guy has been coaching in the AFL which I am sure he had to tailor his offense to fit his players.  We know one thing the Tigers plan to air it out.

Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26
Marauderslim
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »

Cats: Comegy has always been one of those conventional coaches that don't take many risks..  I thought Coach Comegy was going hire coordinator that is more familiar with pro-style offense or better yet Fun-n-gun offense..

Air Raid offense is basically hybrid version of the Run and Shoot offense..  Yeah, the offense has had success in Gulf South Conference, Big 12, SEC and WAC..  Most of formations include shotgun, ace sets, quads, pro and I-formation..

You're right that Jackson State has history air it out..  The Blue Benegals hasn't had decent qb since Jimmy Oliver left the program back in 07..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:21:12 PM by Marauderslim » Logged
Rams3
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:41:18 PM »

Well looks like JSU will be looking for a new coach next year. The SWAC East is/will be a new league next year. JSU,Ala St, MVSU. This is likely the end for Comegy in Jackson.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

News