Quantcast
CNN's black news anchors
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:42:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  CNN's black news anchors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: CNN's black news anchors  (Read 23873 times)
NovaSkegee
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:34:03 AM »

CNN's black news anchors

Fredricka Whitfield

Fredricka Whitfield (born May 1965 in Bay City, Texas) anchors the weekend versions of CNN Newsroom and sometimes substitutes for anchors during weekdays. She is the daughter of Olympian Mal Whitfield.

Prior to joining CNN, Whitfield was a correspondent for NBC News and served as an Atlanta-based correspondent for NBC Nightly News. She worked for other news programs at NBC including The Today Show; she was a morning and afternoon anchor as well as an assignment reporter.

Before joining NBC, Whitfield worked at WPLG-TV in Miami, News Channel 8 in Washington, D.C., KTVT-TV in Dallas, WTNH in New Haven, Connecticut, and WCIV in Charleston, South Carolina.

Ms. Whitfield earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from Howard University’s School of Communications in 1987.

She is married to John Glenn, a journalist at the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

T. J. Holmes

T. J. Holmes was born in West Memphis, Arkansas.

T. J. Holmes (born August 1977) is a weekend anchor with CNN/US, based in the network's headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. Holmes joined CNN in October 2006, and currently helms the Saturday and Sunday morning newscasts and the weekend edition of CNN Newsroom.

Before joining CNN, Holmes had been an anchor for the San Jose NBC affiliate KNTV, NBC11. As an anchor and reporter for the station, Holmes served as a go-to correspondent for live reports across the Bay Area and California and traveled to Greece to cover the 2004 summer Olympics.

Before joining NBC11, Holmes serviced a weekend anchor and reporter for KTHV-TV in Little Rock, Arkansas. He began his career at KSNF-TV in Joplin, Missouri, where he started as a producer, eventually becoming a general assignment reporter and then a weekend anchor and reporter.

Holmes graduated from the University of Arkansas with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism.

Don Lemon

Don Lemon (born March 1966) currently anchoring the primetime weekend version of CNN Newsroom. CNN Newsroom is based at CNN world headquarters in Atlanta. Lemon joined CNN in September 2006.

Lemon was born in West Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He earned a broadcast journalism degree from Brooklyn College. He also attended Louisiana State University.

Prior to joining the CNN team, Lemon served as a co-anchor for NBC-owned station WMAQ-TV 5 p.m. newscast in Chicago. He joined the station in August 2003 as an anchor and reporter after working in New York as a correspondent for NBC News, The Today Show and NBC Nightly News. In addition to his reporting in New York, Lemon was an anchor on Weekend Today and on MSNBC.

In addition to NBC5 and NBC News, Don worked as a weekend anchor and a general assignment reporter for WCAU-TV, the NBC-owned station in Philadelphia. Before that, a general assignment and investigative reporter for KTVI-TV in St. Louis, and as a reporter for Birmingham's WBRC-TV.

Tony Harris

Tony Harris (born July 1967 in Baltimore, Maryland) has worked for CNN since September 2004. Beginning on September 8, 2008, Harris started to anchor the second section of each day's CNN Newsroom newscast.

Harris entered broadcasting as a nineteen-year-old radio disc jockey in his hometown of Baltimore, Maryland. Two years later, he moved to television as a features reporter for an afternoon newsmagazine in Cleveland, Ohio. He rose to co-host. Moving to New York City, he worked as an entertainment reporter for Entertainment Tonight and the Home Box Office. He returned to Cleveland in the early 1990s as a weekend news anchor, then again to New York, and Los Angeles, as a reporter for the Fox Network prime time newsmagazine Front Page.

He returned to local news as lead anchor for WBFF and WNUV in Baltimore, and then for WGCL-TV in Atlanta, Georgia. Based at CNN Center in Atlanta, Harris co-anchored CNN Saturday Morning and CNN Sunday Morning with Betty Nguyen until he made the move to anchor CNN Newsroom. He is also a frequent substitute anchor on weekday news programs including American Morning. Harris has won an Emmy Award. He is a B.A. graduate in English from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

Soledad O'Brien

María de la Soledad Teresa O'Brien (born September 1966 in St. James, New York), is currently the host of the "In America" documentary unit on CNN, and is best known for anchoring the CNN marquee morning newscast American Morning from July 2003 to April 3, 2007.

O'Brien attended Harvard from 1984 to 1988, but did not obtain a degree until she returned in 2000.

Soledad O'Brien began her career as an associate producer and news writer at WBZ-TV, then the NBC affiliate in Boston. She joined NBC News in 1991, and was based in New York as a field producer for the Nightly News and Today. O'Brien then worked for three years as a local reporter and bureau chief for San Francisco NBC affiliate KRON. At KRON she was a reporter on "The Know Zone." The program later moved to CNET without O'Brien.

She then anchored MSNBC's weekend morning show and the cable network's award-winning technology program The Site, which aired weeknights from the Spring of 1996 to November 1997.

O'Brien co-anchored Weekend Today with David Bloom beginning July 1999. During that time, she contributed reports for the weekday Today Show and for weekend editions of NBC Nightly News.

O'Brien moved to CNN where she joined Miles O'Brien to co-anchor CNN's flagship morning program American Morning from New York City in July 2004. In 2005, she covered the Hurricane Katrina aftermath in New Orleans, where she interviewed then head of FEMA Michael Brown. On April 23, 2006, reportedly due to lagging ratings, O'Brien was replaced by former Fox News anchor Kiran Chetry.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:47:19 PM by NovaSkegee » Logged
Aggie D.
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:46:59 AM »

You forgot Tony Harris.

God is good!
Bison 4 Life
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:39:20 AM »

He was bored.

Stephanie Elam also attended Howard.

Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »

I like them all.
Golden Kitten
Assistant GM

Student Advokitty/Fashion Police

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »

Me too - had a chance to meet Don Lemon at UNCF Alumni Conference in Gboro... nod

Teeny-Honor Roll & Writer of Week-Paul Robeson-Malcolm X Aca
Ivan
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »

I cannot STAND Tony Harris.
 Roll Eyes

I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »

Me too - had a chance to meet Don Lemon at UNCF Alumni Conference in Gboro... nod

I did not know Don was that old. He looks younger than TJ. Did he also look youthful in person, or is it makeup?
The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »

I cannot STAND Tony Harris.
 Roll Eyes

WHY?  Huh?

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »

I don't remember who Tony Harris is, you got a pix Nova?
Blackcaesar2k5
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »

Is there any dark-skinned black news achors on CNN at all??
Ken
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 05:07:53 PM »

They are all black skin Caesar---the problem is they use Little Richard's pancake-30 before they come on the set.
Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »

Fredericka Whitfield was at FVSU this past week as a guest lecturer.

That TJ Holmes....man, oh man  bow bow bow

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!!
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »

That TJ Holmes....man, oh man  bow bow bow

Girl, What make you think Geppetto is going to allow you to swoop his son Pinocchio up?  shrug
Valley Girl
Assistant GM

Since 1895

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »

Hush yo mouth Cap....Pinnochio? Blasphemy I tell ya...Blasphemy!!! 

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!!
Golden Kitten
Assistant GM

Student Advokitty/Fashion Police

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »

Yes Cap - he looks younger than he is...he didn't have the makeup on in Gboro...

Teeny-Honor Roll & Writer of Week-Paul Robeson-Malcolm X Aca
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

News